Can't Safely Remove USB Drive After Using .tib Files

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Marpost, May 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marpost

Marpost Registered Member

This especially happens when I open a .tib file by simply double clicking on it on my external USB drive, but also seems to happen after a variety of things I may do using the .tib files and TI. I'm using Echo Workstation. I used Home 2009 for a long time and this never happened until I started using Echo Workstation so this is a new problem, not typical for my computer or this external drive at all. I've used the same external drive for a long time. It only started doing this recently when I started using Echo Workstation and only happens when I use .tib files on it.

After I am done, I close everything and right click on the Safely Remove Hardware icon. I then see USB Mass Storage Device. I click Stop. It then shows USB Mass Storage Device, Generic Volume (E: ) and WD 6400AK External USB Device. I try stopping them all repeatedly. It says every time:

Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device
    "The device 'Generic volume' cannot be stopped right now. Try stopping the device again later."

I wait a while and this still happens. There is no way to safely remove the drive.

I then have to use Process Explorer. In Process Explorer, under Explorer.exe, it will have that .tib file listed and I close the handle. Then safe remove works and it finally says "Safe to remove hardware".

This is very annoying. I don't want to have to use Process Explorer every single time to remove the drive. It's both a hassle and also seems a bit unsafe.

I talked about this some toward the end (like post #10 and on) of this thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=240889

But nobody has helped me figure out how to stop this behavior. Please help. Thanks.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  2. Tatou

Tatou Registered Member

This happened to me often with other types of files but never a tib file. I never double click them.

It seem to occur when Windows or a particular programme keeps a lock on the USB drive even though the file is closed. That may be the problem through explorer and ATI.

I have sometimes found that I have a folder of the drive open on the desktop or my Windows explorer programme is still referencing the drive it can't be stopped.

I have found no way of fixing it other than shutting down when I want to remove the drive. A Google search shows it a popular issue.

Read this interesting thread http://forums.dvdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=35005

3. Marpost

Yes that's the problem. As I mentioned, in Process Explorer I can see that explorer.exe is holding onto the handle of the .tib file. The only way I'm finally able to safely remove is by closing that handle in Process Explorer.

This is definitely to do with Echo Workstation though. It has never happened with anything else for years and only happens dealing with .tib files on this drive. And it didn't even happen for months using TI home 2009. It started exactly when I started using Echo Workstation. It definitely has to do with TI or the backup explorer holding onto the files through explorer.exe.

Can someone help?

4. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

5. Marpost

Grover,

Thanks, this is another decent workaround that you suggest. But Process Explorer already gives me a workaround. I'm able to eventually safely remove the drive. My concern is why TI isn't releasing the handles as it is so that I don't need any workaround. I don't want TI holding onto the .tib as handles at all. Once I close the archive, the handle should be released. When I was using TI Home 2009 this was the case. Apparently the archive explorer, and perhaps other parts of Echo Workstation, are not releasing handles properly and I'd like to actually fix that.

Just to clarify, it appears that this is basically happening with the backup explorer. When I mount an image and unmount it from within Echo Workstation, I can safely remove fine. It's only when I use backup explorer to just double click on a .tib file, explore, and then close it that I can't safely remove. Is there some different driver file I need that might clear this up or something?

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Sometimes a program, like Itunes, is hanging onto a disk even though it isn't activley reading/writing to it. Then using a process utility or Unlocker.exe can help. However, you might find what many Windows users have found, which is that this problem occurs sometimes even though there is no process holding the file open (not even one that the usb utilities and Unlocker can find). It's a bug in how windows deals with USB and drive "locking". It can happen even if no program is open using a file on the USB and the USB device is set for NO disk caching. And you don't have to have ATI on your pc for it to happen.

If the USB device you want to remove is not being written to, you can simply remove it despite the error message and there shouldn't be any problem. The only problem should occur if writes to the USB are in process and you remove the USB before they finish (one reason it's a good idea to set disk caching off for USB drives).

Otoh, if you are too cautious to risk removable as described above, then a reboot will let you remove the drive with Safely Remove -- at least until the next time you connect and use the drive.

I haven't heard of this problem occurring in Vista.

7. Marpost

Sheiber,

I understand all of this. But as I've repeated, Process Explorer shows that there ARE handles still open to the .tib files I've used that session (which I can then close in Process Explorer, which then allows safe removal). And as I also explained this 100% only happens when using the Backup Explorer from Echo Workstation. It doesn't even occur with the Backup Explorer from Home 2009 to open .tib files made in that program on the very same drive. It doesn't occur when using this drive in any other way and never has. The first time it happened was the first time I used Echo Workstation's Backup Explorer and it has happened every time since in the same way predictably.

So again, while I understand all of what you said, this isn't a situation where it is just a general thing. It is clearly tied specifically to the Backup Explorer for Echo Workstation that I have. Perhaps a different set of the two .sys files would clear it up?

I don't want to have to do things like reboot or even close handles in Process Explorer every time I explore a .tib file. That is a hassle and my point in posting is to try to avoid it and find a way to make it work as it did when I was using Home 2009. Back then, I'd double click on a .tib file, explore it, close it and the safe removal would work and out came the drive. This is a new problem I'd like to get fixed so Backup Explorer in Echo works just as it did in Home 2009.

8. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Perhaps Support will respond to this thread. Otherwise, you might want to be pro-active and contain them via Live Chat.

Often times, some problems are remedied by a complete uninstall and reinstall. It's a pain, but something you might try--even a fresh download.

9. Marpost

Grover,

Thanks for replying. You're really reading my mind :)

I was on Live Chat for a while earlier getting them the files they requested to investigate the USB removal issue.

I also would like to try a full uninstall/reinstall. But I don't know how to make sure it's a full uninstall, which is why earlier I posted this thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=242725

You may know that add/remove often doesn't do a full uninstall. Really hoping I can get this resolved one way or another.

10. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

I have had this problem in Vista, ever since I got Vista.
    At first, I thought the problem was related to NIS 2008, but I ditched NIS 2008 on 28 April 2009, installed KIS 2008, and problem persists.

I have used Process Explorer to resolve the issue, but that's a pain in the back rank, to use polite chess terminology.

Process Explorer shows system specific files on the drive.

I just do a Shut Down.

Wonder if Windze 7 will have the same problem.

11. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Forgot to mention, in my case the drives are NTFS.

12. Marpost

Howard,

Thanks, I read some of your earlier posts on the issue. But this is different from your situation. This is 100% only limited to Echo Workstation Backup Explorer. It doesn't happen any other time, even with other Acronis products. I definitely do not want to have to shut down every time I use a .tib with Backup Explorer. And anyway, even closing the handle with Process Explorer is far superior to having to reboot and wait for restarting and closing everything up every time. But even that is more than I care to do. Backup Explorer should release the .tib files, as it did when I had Home 2009.

Perhaps I just need new timntr.sys and tifsfilt.sys files?

Other than that as I said I'd like to try a full uninstall reinstall or Echo Workstation, but see no explanation of how to do that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.