IMON Hidden Window

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Hochie, Mar 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hochie

Hochie Registered Member

Running Windows XP Home and using Outlook Express....lately when trying to shut everything down or rebooting I get several popups after everything is closed showing IMON Hidden Window for which I have to end the task...usually 2 sometimes 3 of them before the system will shut down or reboot......any ideas as to what might be causing this problem...? This did not happen after I initially installed NOD32 about 4/6 weeks ago.....this is really an annoyance and hopefully someone will have the answer....

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hello,
    if possible, please post here a list of all applications you had installed shortly before the problem emerged.

3. Hochie

Hochie Registered Member

Marcos, thanks for the "spark" that got me thinking what I might have installed in the last few weeks....spent all day trying to figure it out and it finally dawned on me....I had installed one of Karen's Power Tools (Print Logger Utility)...so I uninstalled it and rebooted several times and no more "hidden windows"....thanks for the inspiration to get me thinking...looks like this has solved my problem....once again....Thank You! :D

4. orthoseeker

orthoseeker Guest

I have also noticed these hidden windows when attempting to shut Windows down. However, I have isolated the problem to an apparent problem of IMON keeping instances of Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express in-memory even after the programs have been shut down.

This does NOT happen if Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express are excluded from email scanning by IMON, nor does it happen with any other POP3 client. I have sought support from Eset several times, and have yet to hear from them.

At present, I have IMON set to exclude Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express (two programs I use extensively every day).

I want to keep using NOD32, but since I use Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express, I must use an alternate email client if I want NOD32's email scanning.,

5. Hochie

Hochie Registered Member

I thought that my problem had been solved....however it still is there everytime I want to reboot it has to "kill" Outlook Express before it will shut down....sometimes there is even more than one instance of it in memory....

6. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Hi Hochie,

I've tried in vain to replicate your problem. Could you tell me what other apps you are running? (You mentioned Karen's Power Tools which seemed to solve the problem temporarily.) What about re-installing NOD, that might help.

Regards,
    Bandicoot.

7. Hochie

Hochie Registered Member

I'm running WindowBlinds, Pest Patrol, Sygate Pro, Ad-Watch Pro, and NOD32....all close well without any problems...only OE remains in memory most of the time....(about 90% of the time)...everything else shuts down fine.....

8. Habiru

Habiru Registered Member

Hi,

Go into Outlook Express and try this.

Click on Tools, then Options

Click on the Connection tab

Remove the check mark from the box, "Hang up after Sending and Receiving."

had a similar problem with a clients machine and this was the fix. Running DSL.

Don't have any Spyware/Malware on your machine by any chance??

Try Spybot search and destry, Pest Patrol works very well.

9. Hochie

Hochie Registered Member

I'm on cable and don't have the hang up checked at all....no spyware here...everything is clean.....and yes Pest Patrol with Ad-Watch are great....

10. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Hi Hochie,

I've heard that there might be an extension conflict with WindowBlinds. Try disabling this first and see how it goes.

Regards,
    Bandicoot.

11. orthoseeker

orthoseeker Guest

Here's an update to my post. I saw a post in this forum from someone who referred to WindowBlinds. I too was running WindowBlinds. As an experiment, I uninstalled it, and lo and behold, Outlook and Outlook Express stopped leaving code in memory after shutting down, and as a result of that, NOD32-IMON has stopped throwing up error windows upon Windows shut-down.

Now I'm getting all the benefits of NOD32 without the headaches. I have switched for good from Norton AV. It would really be nice if Eset produced a firewall also. Then, my security suite could be totally Eset.

If you are having problems with IMON error windows, try unloading WindowBlinds. If that causes Outlook or Outlook Express to stop leaving code in-memory, uninstall it, and change your window dressing to TGTSoft's Style XP. IT works well with IMON/Outlook/Outlook Express.
    =========================================================
    Pentium 4-2400 w/Intel chipset, 512mb DDR, Creative Labs Live! Player w/ driver supplied on XP Pro install CD, ATI AIW Radeon 8500DV, XP Pro w/latest updates and patches, Latest NOD32, TGTSoft StyleXP 2.1, Microsoft Outlook 2003
    =========================================================

12. Hochie

Hochie Registered Member

Bandicoot & orthoseeker....thanks for your responses....will try without using WindowBlinds for awhile and see if that makes a differance.....it is a "major annoyance" for me rather than a "major problem" but would prefer not having that conflict....I really like WindowBlinds and would prefer to use it if I can...will also take a look at Style XP...thanks again...will keep you posted as to how things go....

13. Hochie

Hochie Registered Member

UPDATE....OK, I have disabled WindowBlinds and have been using the "Classic" version of XP that I've customized to my liking....have run it about 24 hrs. now and NO problems with the Hidden Window.....everything shuts down normally....nothing left in memory.....will continue to run this way for awhile....looks at this point that WindowBlinds is the culprit with NOD32 not closing out OE.....the thing that I'm curious about is why only OEo_O Oh well it's working so I guess I should be happy.... :D

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Good move! It has been my experience throught the years that the more mods you make to your operating system as far as appearance, the more problems you will have all the way around.

15. orthoseeker

orthoseeker Guest

The problem is not just with Outlook Express. WindowBlinds in combination with NOD32-IMON also seems to cause Microsoft Office Outlook code to remain in-memory after shutting down, resulting in the IMON error windows upon Windows shutdown.

Adding Outlook or Outlook Express to IMON's exclusion list, or uninstalling WindowBlinds will solve the problem. However, you will lose out on IMON's email scanning.

It's possible that adding Outlook and Outlook Express to the skinning exclusion list in WindowBlinds may alleviate the problem. I don't know. I didn't try it. Perhaps another WindowBlinds user is willing to try it out, and let us know what happens.

I really hate losing out on WindowBlinds, but StyleXP is a good substitute if I am to continue using NOD32 with email scanning in Outlook or Outlook Express.

16. MitterMouse

MitterMouse Registered Member

:Imon Hidden Window: is a pain and is the only problem i have ever experienced with Nod. I too believe Outlook Express is the reason. So far i've only found one acceptable solution. Cacheman xp {or perhaps some similar windows tweaking tool}, has a feature that when selected automatically shuts down non-responsive apps. This whitout question will solve the Imon problem...good luck.

17. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Hi everyone,

Since I posted a reply to Hochie, I've installed Window Blinds to see for myself if I encountered any problems. I'm mainly using Mozilla but I have OE installed, so I ran it a few times and I didn't receive any IMON hidden windows. I like Window Blinds so understand why Hochie was fed up at having to disable it. The other apps that Hochie is running and I'm not are Pest Patrol, Sygate Pro and Ad-Watch Pro.

Bandicoot.
    (BTW --- I'm running Windows XP)

18. orthoseeker

orthoseeker Registered Member

Well, I fixed my problem with hidden IMON windows:

1) I added Outlook.exe and MSIMN.exe to the WindowBlinds exclusion list, with a total exclusion
    2) I added NOD32's three executables to the WindowBlinds exclusion list, with a total exclusion. I'm not totally sure the latter was necessary. But it seemed to help at the time I did it, so I kept them excluded.

The results:
    1) no phantom code of Outlook or Outlook Express remains in memory after closing them.
    2) no IMON hidden windows keep Windows XP from shutting down

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.