Switching to the 4 version already worth it?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by chrizio, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrizio

chrizio Guest

Switching to 4 from the 3 version already worth the candle?

How stable and reliable is the new release in comparison to previous one?

How revolutionary are the changes in GUI, settings and maintainance? Switching to 4 bound with huge efforts due to plenty of revolutions? How about integrating with system. Changes in firewall necessary?

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Your post is misleading, if you're referring to EAV, then it works fine as is, if you're referring to ESS, then I'd wait until the release of the 1046 firewall module before downloading. (A new build will most likely be released when this happens)

3. chrizio

chrizio Guest

Sorry?
    Which forum-group we are in?
    ESS one? I don't think.

How revolutionary regarding interaction with user, regarding configuration strategy, regarding needed adaptations in surrounding system is the 4 version?
    A lot of efforts necessary in order to get familiarized with its innovations and to get smooth switch?

4. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    It looks much like version 3, nothing really "revolutionary".
    Changes to firewall settings? No...it's just an antivirus client.
    If you're used to version 3, you'll be right at home with version 4, it's nothing major as far as GUI changes like going from 2.7 to 3.0 was....it's really quick like version 3, most people won't even notice anything visually different.
    It slows down your system a bit more than 3.

5. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Do you find any advantage in upgrading?

6. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

I am also interested to know, what does v4 offer that v3 doesnt, also same question applying to v2 as I currently still use v2.7.

7. elapsed

Your post strictly mentions firewalls, which is where your post becomes misleading. Maybe you should learn English before trying to attack people trying to help you.

8. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

I think that since you are inquiring about the quality of the firewall of ESET's products, and the firewall is only found in ESET Smart Security and not ESET NOD32 Antivirus and this thread is in the ESET NOD32 Antivirus section, this thread is in the wrong forum.

I'm still on v3 but plan to try v4 soon as more problem fixing builds are released. From screenshots that I have seen, v4 looks a lot like v3 so there shouldn't be too much to learn. I think it has built in statistics and Sysinspector which are good features, new to v4.

Regards,

Mark.

9. axle00

axle00 Registered Member

personally, I miss the interface from version 2.7, although I'm using version 4 and it seems fine...I just miss the old version 2 GUI.

10. axle00

axle00 Registered Member

I really hope NOD32 doesn't become bloatware like Norton did.

11. chrizio

chrizio Guest

Quality of Eset firewall was not in my focus while asking this question. The question is rather what impacts to installed firewall and its packet filters the upgrade from 3 to 4 will have. If for example new filter rules necessary.

If web traffic protection of eav 4 enabled does the system loses the control about who communicates with outside
    (due to tunneling effect)?

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I'm using v4.424 and find the only slowdown is on bootup when NOD does a scan. That takes maybe a minute longer than v3 did. I like watching the rotating eye ball in the sys tray while NOD does its thing. When it stops rotating I know it's done. :)

13. elapsed

Minor slowdowns are probably related to the fact nod32 is scanning deeper and deeper into files, as well as support for more archives and such.

14. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

That's what I figured, so the added seconds don't bother me. How would I eliminate the boot up scan if I want to? I don't see the need to scan after the computer has been off.

15. chrizio

chrizio Guest

My poll I have started in the another thread is gone
    - not present at all.
    And now additionally the thread closed.
    Criticism is not welcome in this forum.

16. elapsed

This community doesn't like people not using search and spamming the forums with new threads. I read your other posts, which were closed by moderators pointing you here, not because of some kind of criticism. To answer your question, as someone else did, no I do not regret updating to v4.

17. elapsed

As far as I know all decompression methods are handled in the same module, there's no "fine grain" control to choose decompression types.

18. chrizio

chrizio Guest

Here one example, why my question* has had a good reason:
    "Since 4.0 is a buggy bundle..."
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=244610

Don't be afraid of ver. 4.0 critic if such critic is true.
    I have this impression. Sorry.

*) asked in this and in the another one, closed thread

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2009
  19. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Definitely worth the upgrade, ESET gets my vote :thumb:

20. JmZ

JmZ Registered Member

Considering the fact that there's clearly a memory leak of some kind which nobody seems to be bothered about, I'd actually prefer the previous version (when downloading large files).

Hopefully they fix it in the next build though, if they notice this post and the other thread.

21. elapsed

Change that to "Which only affects a few people" and you will see why "nobody is bothered about it", probably because they don't have it. There already is a thread for that and ESET have asked for help.

22. JmZ

JmZ Registered Member

Even if it's only a small group of users who have it, you can't dismiss it. That's not how devs work, they patch ALL problems. And what do you mean "ESET have asked for help"? Why would ESET ask for help, they're the ones who would provide the help.

23. elapsed

I never said it was a reason to dismiss it, no chance. Your post was reflecting that everyone had this problem and simply "no one cares about it". Which is false.

24. JmZ

JmZ Registered Member

You misunderstood the context of my post then. I meant that nobody seemed to be taking interest in it, regardless of how many people have it.

25. elapsed

My apologies then, the approach I tend to take when that happens is to keep bumping it. Eventually someone with time responds with something useful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.