Acronis slow to load and then slow to open logs

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by howardtlcc, Apr 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. howardtlcc

howardtlcc Registered Member

My Acronis home product takes about 15 minutes to load. It just says processing and seems to consume alot of system resources.

Once it loads it seems fine. But, if I go to view the Tasks and Logs it takes forever to load and again seems to use up system resources (very slow...) Changing the dates to view the logs takes forever as well as clicking on the show all button.

My system is a Windows XP, SP 3.

This is unusable....any suggestions?

Howard

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello howardtlcc,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build, which is available here. To get access to updates you should first register Acronis software.

Which version of the program are you using? Do you get the same result when working with CD version of our program?

We are looking forward to hearing back from you at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexander Nikolsky

3. howardtlcc

howardtlcc Registered Member

I uninstalled a few days ago after I purchased and installed whatever the latest is.

I am registered at your site.

I have not gotten the CD version.

Howard

4. Animaether

Animaether Registered Member

Don't mean to butt into Howard's thread - just wanted to say that I just had the same experience.

Windows XP Home SP2
    True Image Home 2009, Build 9709 (appears to be the latest, still downloading that just in case.. taking its time to download)

The process went as follows:
    1. Cancel out of the initial wizard (Edit 1: wiard -> wizard)
    2. go to Backup and Restore
    3. choose My Computer
    4. choose the main drive*
    5. Toggle the Back up sector-by-sector on to see what would happen to the size required.
    6. See that it's pointless and turn that back off
    7. Click Next
    near-100% CPU use.. waited 45 minutes then gave up and started to check these forums.

However.. when I went to post here saying "me too!" I retried my steps and voila - it continued *immediately*. Haven't gone through the rest of the steps yet, but whatever was wrong before at that particular "Processing..." stage is fine now.

* In case it's of any importance. The other drive, to which I will be backing up, is a Western Digital MyBook Mirror Edition, 2TB. That is an external USB harddisk with built-in mirroring (thus 1TB effective; could also stripe them but it's not a backup drive for kicks) and energy saving modes that power the drives down when not actively used, and back up when something access them. This power-up time takes ~6-8 seconds.

If you need any further technical details, I'd be happy to provide but - again - seems it's okay here now.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  5. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

I don't know whether it helps:

Disable the service "Distributed Link Tracking Client" and restart Ti again.
    Is it faster now?

6. When I click on Acronis 2009 in the start menu it was taking approximately four minutes for acronis to load. Uninstalled and reinstalled, no joy. This is a dual core running at 2.6 Ghz (plenty of horsepower) XP SP3. I have never seen it take longer than a few seconds to open any program. In process monitor trueimage.exe was taking it's time poking around in the E Drive (that's where I keep the backups). It was using hardly any CPU (less than 3%) with big gaps of time between acessing the E Drive

Removed the E Drive (Western Digital 1 TB USB Drive) restarted the system and clicked on Acronis and it opened in about a second. Closed Acronis and plugged the USB Drive back in, restarted Acronis and it can only see the backups if I browse to them. At least it can see them. I have not rebooted with the drive plugged in yet. At least Acronis starts good with the drive unpluged.

Regards,

Dave

7. Acronis Support

Hello all,

Please check the following:

- Open Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services and make sure
    that Volume Shadow Copy is started. If it is not, please start it and
    change the Startup Type to Automatic.

- that COM+ System Application is started. If it is not, please start it and
    change the Startup Type to Automatic.

- that Distributed Transaction Coordinator is started. If it is not, please
    start it and change the Startup Type to Automatic.

Slow program performance can be caused by antiviral software or some kind of hard drive corruption.

Could you please check the disks for errors?

- Go to the Command Prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd)
    - Enter the command: "chkdsk DISK: /r"
    where DISK is the partition letter you need to check. Please note, that
    checking the C: drive may require you to reboot the machine.

If this does not help, please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post and attach the file to your message in ths thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexander Nikolsky

8. terradon

terradon Registered Member

Since installing Vista SP2, TI Home2009 was taking a very long time to analyze disks. None of the above processes were started and all were set to manual. I made the changes and startup is much faster. I have yet to restart Vista and try launching TI, so I don't know if this will continue to work or if the speedup was do to analyzing the drives earlier. I hope it continues. I have all personal folders (Documents, etc) on a separate data drive, with the junctions on C: pointing to them, so the other workaround could cause problems with maintaining those paths.

9. xcskibum

xcskibum Registered Member

I also have this issue with build 9709. I've started noted Services and rebooted. It takes 7 minutes to load ATIH2009, and to open logs another 7 minutes. There was no change with starting Services. No other issues noted on system, Win XP, SP3. Attaching Acronis Report. Really would like a fix for this...have installed on several systems; have observed problem on 2 systems so far. thanks.

10. Acronis Support

Hello terradon and xcskibum,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

Please install SnapAPI380 update file (SnapAPi file for Acronis True Image Home 2009) available here, reboot the computer to complete the changes and see if the issue remains.

Also you can Repair the program (Launch the installation file and select the Repair option).

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

11. xcskibum

Thanks for your reply. Nothing has resolved this issue.

I've run chkdsk c: /r, with no errors.
    I've run the Acronis Repair. Reboot.
    I've installed SnapAPI, however, the link you gave me, installs v 3.1.329.
    Is this the same as SnapAPI380 that you specified to install? If not, then
    you need to give me a corrected url. Or the link needs to be updated. I've
    rebooted after this as well.

Is there something else that will resolve this issue? This extremely slow
    load is very painful!

Thank you for your help.

12. Acronis Support

Hello xcskibum,

SnapAPI v 3.1.329 is also ok for Acronis True Image Home 2009. You can get SnapAPI380 if you contact Acronis support and send us the serial number in question and the issue description.

Have you used File Shredder before? It can be the reason of the slow load of the logs, because it puts records about every deleted file to logs.

The issue can be resolved by deleting everything from C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImageHome\Logs folder.

Thank you.
    Daniel Pustovoy

13. xcskibum

Moving the old log files did the trick. Now I know where to look for the logs too. I am sure this was the root problem all along. I don't ever remember using File Shredder, but sure enough it was in the log. It is possible I used it to play with but I really doubt it.

Does any Acronis process call File Shredder?

This seems like a bug to me. Does SnapAPI380 solve this issue, or will this need to get in the queue?

Thanks for your prompt help! It was driving me up the wall!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.