Which HIPS with Zone Alarm suite ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by blacknight, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

2. blacknight

Re: ZA Internet Security + DS ?

I resolved the problem between ZA and CIS :) , only a last permission that I forgot to set for the CIS. But the question remains for DS.

3. MagisDing

MagisDing Registered Member

I still belive that the Firewall component of CIS is more powerful and compatible with most P2P software when the download speed is awesome;)

4. blacknight

I'm not interested to P2P but thanks. But I must deny my previous post: ZA and CIS are definitively not compatible: they conflict to kernel level. :'(

So my question now is: which HIPS with ZA suite ?

TO THE MODS: please, could you modify the 3D title in: " Which HIPS with Zone Alarm suite ? Thanks.

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

before i used malware defender and zone alarm with no problems;)

6. fax

fax Registered Member

Actually the HIPS in ZA Suite are quite decent... you don't get the hysteric CIS levels but still more than enough. You can enable advanced Program control, application interaction and component control in ZA Program control section to enjoy even more pop-ups. :)

I would rather add a sandboxing application or imaging tool if you want to increase your lines of defense

Cheers,
    Fax

7. gery

gery Registered Member

I think ZA is enough for protection. pretty decent

8. blacknight

Yaa,it was the first setting I did after the installation. But I'm used to have the " complete " control of my system with classical HIPS as SSM ( :( ) or Defense +....Malware Defender is not a bad idea, but I had to pay for it..:rolleyes:
    :)

Ya, I 'm using it it with Returnil Premium Edition. And anyway I have Acronis TI from last year.
    Thanks. :)

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Re: Which HIPS works with ZoneAlarm Security ?

zonealarm works great with malware defender;)

10. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

Re: Which HIPS works with ZoneAlarm Security ?

Blue Ridge has received a couple of reports of problems between Zone Alarm Pro (version dependent) and AppGuard. I vaguely recall it having something to do with ZAP hooking something but not properly resetting a pointer, or was it not resetting a pointer at all. Sorry about the ambiguity; I don't have the trouble ticket notes handy. Anyway, if this is true (assumes our limited observations were not isolated), this might explain an earlier poster's observations about ZAP not getting along with other security products, which I cannot confirm beyond my opening sentence.

Cheers,

Eirik

11. blacknight

Thanks for the notice. ;) I like the fw and the av of ZA, and his system protection features. I would like combine it with an HIPS: so, beyond the HIPS, I had also ZA protection as a further layer.

12. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Have you considered running a behavior blocker? Mamutu, Prevx 3, and ThreatFire are all quality programs. I've personally run Mamutu and Prevx 3 along with ZA products with no conflicts.

13. blacknight

Ya, but, as I wrote in a duplicated post, I can imagine many security set up ( sandboxing and virtualising softwares, BB....) to join to ZA, but I can't live without a real HIPS :) ;)

14. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

What about EQSecure?

15. fax

fax Registered Member

As suggested in the other thread whichever HIPS you will choose turn OFF ZA HIPS. Otherwise you will most likely join the family of ZA users complaining of ZA not working or the settings getting corrupted :)

Fax

16. blacknight

Sure Fax, I remember your suggest ;) . The problem is: I would like to use a complete classical HIPS AND the HIPS features of ZA as a second defense layer. But I see that it seems impossible...

For Renegade: I was thinking to EqSecure, I used it one year ago, but I stopped for his English developement was very slow. And how about EqSecure architecture: does it install totally at the kernel level ?

17. fax

fax Registered Member

If you like to experiment yes... but ZA HIPS are hooking at kernel level... more tools hooking at kernel can easily cause problems to the OS and to the general stability of the system (windows kernel was not designed to accomodate this) + the tools may risk to block each other rather than blocking the threats.... End results? --> Less security :)

Look for complementary tools rather than overlapping tools or disable them accordingly.

Fax

18. blacknight

Yes, I know it. Once I used CIS - with Defense+ together SSM, then I unistalled SSM for this reason.

19. tipo

tipo Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.