EAV v4 continuously reboots PC

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by ti_marner, Mar 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bradtech

bradtech Guest

I uploaded to my own FTP, and sent a link to Marcos on the forums.. I got a solution for my Novell Netware Blue Screens which saved my ass at work and I still caught some flack over it though, and was asked by my director today about it which really was never a good thing since it ended in "I know about the BSoDs"

I have been using 3.0.684 and having success so far, and updated all my 4.0.314 and 4.0.417 clients with the 4.0.422 which fixes my woes after a complete kernel dump upload.

Do you have your own FTP or maybe even an email you could send to ESET? Mabe try 2.7 in the mean time? I know it sucks to use an older version but honestly 3.0 and 4.0 are a lot alike but a lot different from my experiences. I was told by a guy from ESET on the phone that Version 3 and on was a rewrite from the ground up.. Version 2 was their bread and butter I think.. I'd like to see a return to the snappy like performance, and rock solid stability..

2. EasternOkie

EasternOkie Registered Member

I replaced Asus P5K MB with P5K Premium/wi-fi MB that I had here. Installed all new drivers loaded ESS 4 rebooted and I still have the same BSOD and the same error message. Maybe Eset doesn't like Asus MBs or at least P5Ks.

3. stuman

stuman Registered Member

That's interesting, I also have an ASUS P5K mobo.

4. DavidCo

DavidCo Registered Member

Hmmm
    I went back to V2.7 from V3 (last one) on my PC, I had BSOD's on boot, my other 2 PC's are OK
    They do not have an ASUS P5 but I do:eek:

5. EasternOkie

I also have a P5Q SE/R and that system does not have the boot problem either. I have had other problems with version 4 on it, but not the boot problem on that system.

Now my P5K is entirely another issue. I had tried the Beta many months ago and I had to remove it due to the boot BSOD. I had assumed that Eset would have fixed this issue before releasing final version. But I guess I got that wrong also.

I was finally able to send in a memory dump I hope they are looking at it.

6. DavidCo

Intel driver conflict?

7. EasternOkie

Could be, but I am unable to trace the cause. The BSOD comes so early in the boot process Windows fails to make a memory dump. I can manually cause one later, but I'm not sure that will show the problem. I have send boot logs, system and program events, memory dump and Sysinspector logs to Eset with no response from them. Many of the drivers on this MB(P5K P) are different than on the standard P5K, but the chipset drivers are the same. Intel P35 and ICH9. I have narrowed it down to the self-defense module in V4. When off no BSOD. But Eset has not made any mods to that module.

8. EasternOkie

I installed latest INF files from Intel, still same error when self-defense support module is on.

DavidCo was the error you got when booting up "Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area
    Stop:0x00000050(0XFFFFFFE8,0X00000001,0X805266AA,0X00000000)"? (I had to turn off auto reboot on system error to see this.)

Have you unchecked the self-defense support module to see if your P5 would boot?

9. DavidCo

I never went to V4, V3 caused me enough headaches.
    One of the errors shown was a CPU error - the Microsoft data pointed to a possible AntiVirus issue etc
    Also tcpip.sys error, also............boring.
    Installed V2.7 and all the problems went away.

Event viewer now clear, 'nuff said.

I'm signed up 'till Sept 2010 (3 PC's):(

10. EasternOkie

Installed 4.0.424 today and the BSOD on boot with self-defense support module on is still unresolved. Apparently still no programming work on that module.

11. EasternOkie

It has been weeks and no word from Eset on this problem, so today I test it again and turn on self-defense and reboot. Same BSOD. Still no work on this from Eset!
    I go to safe mode remove and reboot. Now version 4 will not reinstall. Keeps backing out. I remove folders and registry keys reboot and retry. It refuses to reinstall. So back to Version 3 again.

Eset, are you ever going to correct this issue?

12. PeterPrvy

PeterPrvy Registered Member

whats new ? i am have this problem

P.S. my english is bad, sorry :(

13. EasternOkie

Still no help from Eset. They seldom reply to my support emails and when they do they say they are waiting for information from the developers. It's been over 4 months and they have not provided any useful help and the BSOD still occurs 100% of the time at Boot up when the self-defense module is activated. As I have been told once by a US Eset tech "since so few of you are having this problem it is not worth their time to fix". So I do not think they will ever correct this problem. They also refused to refund my last years fee. So basically they are saying tough Sh...

Do you happen to have an Asus P5K?

14. PeterPrvy

PeterPrvy Registered Member

My mainboard is GIGABYTE P35-DS3L and processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 .
    I am disabled self-defense scan, I succeed for the first time installed ESS v4, before each install ended BSOD

15. EasternOkie

I'm sorry you have the problem also. Maybe if more people like you speak up they might consider fixing it. Good Luck!

16. EasternOkie

I am wondering what our mobo's have in common. I did a search and both are P35/ICH9 with Realtek RTL8XXX NIC's. I am running Windows XP Pro SP3 what about you?

17. dkyuss

dkyuss Registered Member

There are a few people on this forum with very similar issues with NOD32 and ESET.

Anyways, I have very similar problems, have an ASUS motherboard G33/ICH9 drivers.

My story is here https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=252230

I list off my hardware from an Everest report and would love to hear if we all share a same piece of hardware.

18. ccomputertek

ccomputertek Registered Member

I've seen this happen B4.Problem was somehow even though not set up in the INF for the software driver to do this, somehow the driver set itself to load at the boot stage instead of system / automatic or demand start.Go in the registry services for all 3 and see what their set at, if 1 is set to load at boot, there ya go.This happened to me once with kaspersky, driver was set to load at boot from the install package, I later checked it's INF and found it should not be set up that way, fixed the problem, easy, then chillaxed the rest of the day after computer was running correctly again..... lol

the name of the kaspersky driver was KL1.sys I think, right after I installed it, BAM ! blue screen every time till I booted into safe mode and fixed.

here is the INF for KL1.sys driver install:
    [kl1.install]
    DisplayName = %kl1%
    ServiceType = 1;
    StartType = 1;
    Errorcontrol= 1;
    ServiceBinary = %12%\kl1.sys
    LoadOrderGroup = "PNP_TDI"

as you can see, it was not supposed to be set to load at boot, or else that value would have been StartType = 0;

Something must have been corrupt on my system to set it that way or windows made a boo boo while installing.That will make you crash with an antivirus driver loading at boot definitly and since tcpip loads with PNP_TDI, that might also explain your problems.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  19. dkyuss

dkyuss Registered Member

THANKS ccomputertek!!!

I had ESS V3 installed and seen in the registry that only easdrv and epfwtdi were set at start = 1. So I unistalled and reinstalled V4. Tried ehdrv first and set it to 2 and voila! No problems. No more BSOD on startup!

Thank you again! To anyone else having this same issue of BSOD on startup after installing ESET ESS V4, try this;

Navigate in the registry to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ehdrv and set 'start' to '2'
    Reboot.

20. ccomputertek

There is an easier way.Just go to device manager, click view at the top of that window, click show hidden devices.Then a group called non-plug and play drivers will show up, find easdrv and set it from system to auto, if your still having problems you can alternativley set it to demand and that will make it load even later in the boot process in most cases.Epfwtdir should stay at system start, or auto only if your having problems though, and epfwtdir will not start on demand so never set it so.If your having problems with eamon, which I don't see many having, then you can try to set that from auto start to system start.But if windows sets eamon up right and it actually sticks as a level 2 file system driver, then it won't show up in device manager, even under hidden devices, it's supposed to be like that though.In that case then you have no choice but to go to registry services and change the setting from the registry.Glad I helped you and possibly others, if their still reading this and having the same issue, this is kinda an old thread.

Yes, for some reason, windows does not want easdrv or ehdrv set to system start, I allways change that one to auto or demand.

21. EasternOkie

Eset never addressed any of my memory dumps and refused further help when simple things failed. I since dropped Eset and am now using NIS 2010 and am very happy with it and their support. I wish you guys had been around in May or June. Sounds like you know what you are doing. Too bad Eset didn't.

22. ccomputertek

Supposedly ehdrv is the same as easdrv, except that ehdrv supports the self defense as well as anti-stealth.It's would seem harder to fix ESS 3 or 4, a few more drivers involved.EAV is simple to fix, but in both cases it's still fairly simple.Most of these problems aren't esets fault from my research, their actually problems with the way windows does things.When you install EAV or ESS boot into safe mode you will see an exclamation point by easdrv or ehdrv, that should tell you something, they allways do this, windows does not agree for some reason.Simply change the startup type and then go into safe mode again and see now theres no problem and windows doesn't go into a crash loop.This only applies to windows XP, which most people i'm sure do not even use anymore.Fixing these problems is not the same in vista or win 7 and alot more involved and difficult and they do things differently with those OS's.Simply changing driver load orders won't work, and can even cause worse problems if you try it.If windows has a problem with a driver, it will either tell you in normal mode with a serious error, or it will tell you in safe mode, which is the case with easdrv and ehdrv, just change it to auto or demand and watch your problems disappear.It's annoying to do this every time you install, but it's so easy to do and you shouldn't have any other problem requiring you to reinstall if you do this anyway.Whats a little strange though, is I just tried ESS 3 on the same PC I get the http/pop3 error on and even without touching any setting or drivers, I did not get the same problem as I do with EAV on the same version.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.