vipre..wow

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by hawkeen, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

Guys, we're looking currently into the issues and i'll (or someone else from sunbelt depending on my time schedule today) will reply back shortly.

Mike

2. Smiggy

Smiggy Registered Member

This is 'proactive' user support, not waiting for emails or phone to ring but taking the time to frequent where the end users do for info/updates/comments!!

:thumb: :thumb:

3. Nightwatch

Nightwatch Registered Member

Agree! Your support is really great (and always was):thumb:

4. MikewSunbelt

MikewSunbelt Registered Member

Hi Everyone,
    Thank you for your patience. We have discovered the problem with Customs scans and UAC. The scan freezes seem to only happen on limited user accounts.
    Development is working on a fix for this now, but in the mean time, you can run deep or Quick scans as normal. Custom scans should be run on an administrative account.

We should have this corrected very soon.

5. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Further to my initial problem,I have tried running the CS&VClean.exe utility to remove Vipre from my computer.

However, I now get the following:

---------------------------
    Windows Script Host
    Script: C:\Temp\VClean1.vbs
    Line: 251
    Char: 1
    Error: Permission denied
    Code: 800A0046
    Source: Microsoft VBScript runtime error

OK

I have never had so much trouble trying to remove any software, other than this particular instance, i.e.Sunbelt Vipre

Have Sunbelt ever considered going with another installer,e.g. Wise,Inno etc.

I consider the current installer that is used for Vipre is an abomination. :ouch: Just my 2c.

This does not mean that I do not like the program, but just that it is frustrating in its quirks.

6. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

You could try downloading the WS_Script_5.6.exe from MS. I've had similar issues with installing software and this file fixed it.

7. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I found this in the registry:

In the second screenshot(for subkey) I think the data/value is incorrect.

However, irregardless of that, I think it would safe to delete the(main) key as per the first screenshot.Maybe then, I can get on with fresh install of version 3.1.2708.

I wish someone from Sunbelt would respond.

Attached Files:

8. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I might have to start nukeing the registry.......seriously!

P.S. I been there and that before.;)

Attached Files:

9. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

I dropped avira to give vipre a shot - what do you guys that've been trialing it think of it so far? Any tests per se yet?:D

10. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

PM the Inspector.

11. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

Not needed, i read here :D Ok, i will point our support to that again.

Thx

12. MikewSunbelt

Sorry for the delay in getting with you on the uninstall problem. I took a look through cs&v clean. The line 251 simply writes a reference in the registry that launches the second half of the utility. I have seen this blocked in Vista by UAC and on XP when trying to run the utility under a limited user account.
    Since the utility didn't finish running, in c:\temp directory you will see a .reg file named "uninst-vipre3". Running this file will remove all the registry files associated with VIPRE or CounterSpy 3.x NOTE: If you are using Vista, right click on this file and choose run as administrator. You can also do this on the file named VClean2. it will clean up the remaining program files.
    If you are still unable to fully remove the program, the following link is for the manual uninstall directions.

http://beta.sunbelt-software.com/download.php?id=1591

If the trouble continues you may want to contact us directly here in support at support@sunbelt-software.com

13. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Thanks for the response. I suggested the PM because while I know you visit here I was unsure of the frequency.

14. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

Hi Mike,I'm subscribed to this blog and it tells me your trial of Vipre is good for 30 days.Is this correct?Here is the clip.
    VIPRE now is officially the fastest antimalware on the planet! Get your 30-day eval here and experience VIPRE on your Netbook for yourself:

15. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

After following instructions as per http://beta.sunbelt-software.com/download.php?id=1591

There were these items i could not delete from C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\Vipre

SBAMScanShellExt.dll

SBSDKXML.dll

Also, I had to delete these keys from the registry - see screenshot:

SBAMSvc, sbaphd, sbapifs, SBCSSvc, SBHR, SBRE, sbtis

I then ran the 3.1.2708 version installer that I had saved when it was first pushed out from the Sunbelt server a few days ago.

See installer log from my SSM Hips program which monitors the install.
    The entries in blue, I answered the popups - Block,to keep the values unchanged.

Parent process:
    Path: C:\Documents and Settings\<myname>\Desktop\SBVIPRE_EN.3.1.2708.exe
    PID: 3468
    Information: Sunbelt Software VIPRE Antivirus + Antispyware 3.1.270 (Sunbelt Software)
    Child process:
    Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
    Information: Windows® installer (Microsoft Corporation)
    Command line:MSIEXEC.EXE /i "C:\DOCUME~1\<myname>\LOCALS~1\Temp\{E0909FEC-4164-47D5-ACB9-1E326A4731A8}\SBVIPRE_EN.msi" /l*v C:\DOCUME~1\<myname>\LOCALS~1\Temp\SunbeltVIPREInstaller.log SETUPEXEDIR="C:\Documents and Settings\<myname>\Desktop" SETUPEXENAME="SBVIPRE_EN.3.1.2708.exe"

Process:
    Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    PID: 1148
    Information: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services (Microsoft Corporation)
    Registry Group: User Shell Settings
    Object:
    Registry key: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
    Registry value: AppData
    New value:
    Type: REG_SZ
    Value: C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Application Data
    Previous value:
    Value: C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Application Data

Process:
    Object:
    Registry key: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
    Registry value: Cookies
    New value:
    Value: C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Cookies
    Previous value:
    Value: C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Cookies

Process:
    Object:
    Registry value: Cache
    New value:
    Value: C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
    Previous value:
    Value: C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

Process:
    Object:
    Registry value: History
    New value:
    Value: C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\History
    Previous value:
    Value: C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\History

Parent process:
    PID: 3224
    Child process:
    Path: C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\VIPRE\SBTISinstaller.exe
    Information: Sunbelt TDI Inspection System Installer (Sunbelt Software)
    Command line:"C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\VIPRE\SBTISinstaller.exe" /install "C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\VIPRE\"

Process:
    Registry Group: System Critical
    Object:
    Registry key: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
    Registry value: PendingFileRenameOperations
    Type: REG_MULTI_SZ
    Value: \??\C:\Config.Msi\d83d9.rbf

Process:

Rebooted

Attached Files:

16. MikewSunbelt

Hi Rookieman,

VIPRE Consumer installs as a fifteen day trial, The enterprise version does have a thirty day evaluation period. There may be a promotion extending the basic trial period on the consumer version. Because I'm in support, I'm not always up to date on the promotions.

If you would like to send me an email at support@sunbelt-software.com Put attn: Mike.
    I'll see what I can find out for you.

17. ePost

ePost Registered Member

Mike, a few days before Vipre was launched I downloaded CounterSpy for a trial. A few months later I decided to test Vipre on my machine also. But this was not possible. I had already used my trial period, a popup told me.

But this isn't quite the case. I tested CounterSpy. Not Vipre. Should I write your support about this or does this reflect your policy/rules? One product trial per IP? In that event there is no need to waste Sunbelt's time with an email. :)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  18. MikewSunbelt

Hi Tarnak,

The DLL files were probably in use, this is why I had to put a reboot in the middle of my script, to stop them from loading so they could be deleted.
    The instructions are from the beta forum, so they are a little old, some files may have changed or added because of the new VIPRE core engine.

The definitions installing at zero is normal. The installer for 3.1.2708 didn't contain a set of definitions. If there are definitions installed (this is when doing a direct upgrade) the installer would recognize the current version. If doing a fresh install, it downloads the entire definition package.

19. MikewSunbelt

Hi Epost,

I'm sorry this post almost slipped past me. We can surely help you out with getting to test VIPRE. Just send us an email letting us know what happened and we can get you a test key. :) support@sunbelt-software.com

20. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Try using Revo Uninstaller,that should ensure no leftovers.

21. offthegrid

offthegrid Registered Member

I found that I had lost my audio after installing vipre. That seemed to have been a problem for the older beta but I couldn't find anything with that as a recent complaint.

Anyway I had to do the manual uninstall as was described here.

22. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

I just did my first c: drive scan with vipre which took an hour. After the scan was finish I noticed some of the text on the program window was garbled, as were the buttons, so that even though vipre found one trojan, I could not click the "clean" button, nor any other buttons except for the hide/show details up top. So I wasted my time doing the scan because I couldn't click the clean button. o_O

This is with the newest version of the program btw.

23. PeterHSunbelt

PeterHSunbelt Registered Member

Try and boot into windows safe mode and run a scan from there, if something is interfering with the scan that should prevent it from doing so.

To get into windows safe mode press F8 during windows start up and select Safe mode from the advanced boot options menu that should appear. Once it safe mode start up Vipre and have it run a deep scan.

If you continue to have problems please contact our tech support at Support@sunbeltsoftware.com

24. ePost

ePost Registered Member

Thanks Mike - I think I will.

25. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Hate to kick this one around again, but I am having severe system freezes when updating.
    This is not a old machine, (Thinkpad R61 T7100 w/4GB.), every time I let it update the "Update progress" box comes up and shows me the who/what/wheres of updating but it will completely freeze the machine at some point(s). I think it is the application of the new updates as once that is done I can then resume normal activity but IMO this _should_ not happen. There is not squat happening on my machine while this is going besides maybe a Ff session w/2-5 tabs. Granted I only use Windows around once a week so I may see multiple updates more then someone who uses Windows all the time. Could the multiple updates be the issue?

And with this happening almost regularly I am afraid to move forward deploying this to test machines at the office.

Any help or pointers are greatly appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.