Virus scanner initialization failure

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by trisager, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trisager

trisager Registered Member

My NOD32 installed an update about 15 minutes ago. Following that the scanner no longer works. The log contains:

"Virus scanner initialization failed"
    "Error initializing file submission system"

This persists after a restart. OS is Vista32. Please advise.
    Tom

2. therdrev

therdrev Registered Member

Same problem here. v.3.0.672.0

Undocumented fatal error 0x101a

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

4. blin

blin Registered Member

Consider me afflicated as well....

Only I got the added bonus of my dev machine bugchecking on me after the update.

You can get the "!analyze -v" output from here:

http://www.blocksoft.co.uk/eset_bc.txt

Version is business 3.0.684 x64

on Windows Server 2008 Free (patched e.t.c).

Thanks a bunch for the blue screen. (I was in the middle of a bucketload of really detailed stuff as well)

ronjor,

repair does not fix this for me. Although eamon.sys and easdrv.sys are showing as loaded, the error log is showing :

02/03/2009 15:02:14 Kernel Virus scanner initialization failed. Antivirus protection will not function properly.

Are there any switches that will give me more detailed info for you?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  5. xtype

xtype Registered Member

Same here with my Vista 64 Machine. Didn't seem to affect a Windows XP 32-bit machine.

6. a_lunatic

a_lunatic Registered Member

Yes I got hit to thanks for the BSOD.

Repair didn't work am about to reinstall it.

7. KTamas

KTamas Registered Member

Same here, all three 64-bit machines here (two win2008, one win7) got BSOD'd among with a 32-bit WinXP one all of them cause of NOD32. One was hosting 5 live virtual machines, so that was an especially painful experience...

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hello,
    we will highly appreciate if you could provide us the memory dump you've created and analysed. If necessary, I can provide you with an ftp account so that you could upload the dump directly to our server.

Thank you in advance,

Marcos

9. JackBileDuct

JackBileDuct Registered Member

Happened to me as well. Thought it was just on my side but considering others have had the same thing at the same time it is obvisouly an issue with an update or something along those lines. Has worked fine for the many months I've had it but this is really frustrating. I just recommened it to two other people yesterday. Hope they didn't get it last night and having issues now... :(

10. Morberis

Morberis Registered Member

Same problem here, first BSOD on my Vista machine in almost a year and suddenly I get a Virus scanner initialization failure.

I tried updating and it said there were seriously problems with the update. So I cleared the update cache, checked that my licence was still good, restarted my computer and everything is the same except it says I'm up to date.

All of us getting this problem at the same time can't be coincidence can it?

I may not be the most tech oriented but if someone posts instructions on how to help provide data I can follow them and upload the info.

11. blin

blin Registered Member

will upload for you now Marcos - have PM'd you for the ftp details.

12. JackBileDuct

!!!! My machine crashed as well. Vista 64 and it has been rock solid. I lost all video on both monitors. Couldn't tell if it was a blue screen as I had no video. I at first thought my computer crashed and Nod32 not working was part of the crash. I'm still waiting for my array to be scanned by the controller and thought just maybe that was it. Obvisouly not. So not only did the program die, but it also took out my computer in the process. Not cool Eset. I expect better from a security company.

13. Morberis

Morberis Registered Member

Raid array? I'm running a software raid 0 on a Asus P5N-E SLI motherboard.

Also when Eset starts up it gives me an error message that the virus scanner failed to initialize as well as a link to click for more info. When I click the link the error message closes and nothing opens.

14. JackBileDuct

Yes I'm doing hardware RAID10 - Intel ICH8R/ICH9R SATA RAID Controller. I get no link just the "AV Protection is dsiabled - virus scanner initialization failed."

15. a_lunatic

a_lunatic Registered Member

Had to re download it to find they released V4 but now its stuck with an old signature database 3832 all most a month old.

16. JackBileDuct

I have no idea what my password is so can't reinstall. FWIW my version is 3.0.669.0 and the sig DB is 3899 (20090301 ). I really hope they are working on this now and get it resolved soon.

17. mixter

mixter Registered Member

Hit mine too on a 64 bit Vista machine.
    Been 5 years without this kind of crap.
    hate to end the perfect streak like this.

18. Squareslinky

Squareslinky Registered Member

XP x64 here. Same problem. Been trying to fix it for the past hour, nothing.

19. Deggor

Deggor Registered Member

Had my notebook up and running Vista-32bit (and actively being used) overnight. No BSOD was encountered, and no issue was discovered until I rebooted for a non-related issue at approximately 9:13. Upon restart, NOD32 would no longer initialize.

Code:
    3/2/2009 9:13:40 AM	Kernel	Virus scanner initialization failed. Antivirus protection will not function properly.	
    3/2/2009 9:11:49 AM	Kernel	Virus signature database successfully updated to version 3901 (20090302).	
    3/2/2009 7:49:32 AM	Kernel	The program modules have been updated.	
    3/2/2009 3:48:37 AM	Kernel	Virus signature database successfully updated to version 3900 (20090302).	
    All times are EST (GMT -5).

Again, NOD32 did not report any issues after updating both the program modules and virus signature database, nor did it appear to stop working, though I can't claim I was paying particular attention prior to receiving the windows security alert on reboot.

20. JackBileDuct

So mods what is the deal? Do we have to reinstall ( weaksauce ) or is there a fix coming?

21. blin

blin Registered Member

I remember being able to request my details either through the website or via email. Do that. Or telephone them with your details - they're a pretty helpful bunch.

22. Renegade_Warrior

Renegade_Warrior Registered Member

Currently running ESET NOD32 v3.0.684.0
    Windows Vista-64 Ultimate
    Gateway FX6800-01e Core i7 920
    Dual 24" LCD Monitors @ 1920 x 1200 each

Was downing at the time and watching some full screen video when my system crashed.

When the system crashed, I noticed the screen said, ENTERING Sleep Mode After which it immediately shut down.

Soon as I restarted my system, I noticed that the NOD32 system tray icon was Red and there was a pop up saying my system may not be protected. Double click on the icon to open the program and under Protection Status it says Antivirus protection is Disabled

Yet when you click on Setup it shows all Protection as Enabled

Click on Help > About and under installed compents: the window is completely empty.

I went into Windows Explorer, right clicked on the drives and selected tools so I could schedule a disk scan to verify that no corruption had occurred from the crash, then I immediately rebooted the system so the drives could be checked.

I see that the 64-bit NOD32 v4.0 client has finally been added to the download page. So I'm gonna head on over and download it soon as I can dig up my license.

23. JackBileDuct

^^ Thanks. I did find a user/pass recovery option on the site. I'm not reinstalling yet. I think it is lame that I have to and obviously it is a bigger issue than my machine as others are experiencing the same problem.

24. TomH1956

TomH1956 Registered Member

Same problem here Vista 64 bit, now stuck with version 4 with signature database 3832 20090206 and it won't update.

25. djchiapet

djchiapet Registered Member

so we all have the same problem, can someone explain how to resolve issue?and talk to me like a 6 year old from 1975 because today's 6 yr old is to smart for me! i am on an ASUS X83V machine with vista 64bit, intel centrino duo-core p8400@2.26ghz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.