Does anyone know how Shadow Defender is coming along?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by pidbo, Dec 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pidbo

pidbo Registered Member

Does anyone know how Shadow Defender is coming along...I haven't seen any updates recently.

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I just installed it on one of my snapshots to try it. I like it. As a matter of fact, I was about to post a thread asking SD users to comment on it. V1.1.0.275 is the latest version as of Thursday. :)

3. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Thanks.

edit : didn't .275 come out in Oct.

4. Long View

Long View Registered Member

what is it that needs fixing/improving ? The ability to survive a re-boot would be useful but I would hate to see SD go the way of so many other programs becoming bloatware. Right now SD is the best of the bunch by far.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I agree, I have 275, and it works fine and does it's job.

Pete

6. denniz

denniz Registered Member

Any major differences between Shadow Defender and Returnil? The Shadow Defender website doesn't provide much information about it's product.

7. Murderlove

Murderlove Registered Member

Hmmm Shadow Defender has an exclusion list, in which you for example can place you AV/AS so that the updates will be there even after reboot. Shadow Defender can shadow multiple drives. Shadow Defender does not require a reboot when going into shadow mode.

There are a few others, but do not know them all by heart. Though I think these were the biggest. In terms of protection though; you cannot go wrong with either.

8. Miyasashi

Miyasashi Registered Member

I just installed Shadow Defender, Malware Defender and had Avira Antivir installed.

Do I need more?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  9. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Both Returnil and ShadowDefender are the best at their class, differences are minor and both can go into shadowmode instantly.I mean there is no quality difference,SD can protect more but is not always needed.
    With Returnil you have also a free version,and my experiences sofar with it are very satisfying.

10. Murderlove

Murderlove Registered Member

I fully agree. Both programs are top notch!
    I stand correct. It is indeed true that both can go into shadowmode without a reboot. I have just learned a minute ago that Returnil is capable of doing that as well:
    Yes, I have just started to test the free version as well and I too like it so far.

11. pidbo

pidbo Registered Member

I agree with you Long View that Shadow Defender is a fantastic program just as it stands, in fact I am using it now as I write and it has been running for two days, I was just curious because Tony had said that he was close to achieving the shadow survive a re-boot option for it, which would mean it would be possible to install software in shadow mode that required a re-boot.
    I know what you mean about "bloatware", so many good softwares have been ruined by over "development". I like Shadow Defender because it is so straightforward and "honest" I absolutely hate "faddy" "suite" software or "jack of all trades" software. Utilitarian style software, one purpose, stable and uncomplicated, useable with plain frontages, programs that you can use year after year is what I like. I don't like the "renta-software" philosophy that has insinuated itself into software development of recent years.

12. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

First off latest version 275 was released OCT 6th 2008.Secondly what needs to be fixed is Nothing,Its wonderfull just as it is:thumb:

13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

That would be good news if Tony could do that. I love that fact that he a) shadows all disks if you want, b) gets rid of the file where the shadow writes are stored) and c) that file seems to be dynamic.

Pete

14. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

I agree. If it aint broke, why fix it? :)

To those wondering how the program works, just download it and give it a try as it has a trial period. Don't like it, it uninstalls easily.

15. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I agree. I've had ShadowUser for almost 4 years, and I've used it's ability to retain sessions maybe 10 times, and only to test it. I also think that when too many features are added it might become buggy.

16. Miyasashi

The folders in "Appdata" contain settings of programs you use right? Do I need to exclude "Appdata"?

I am browsing Sandboxed (Sandboxie) so... Everything is removed if I close Firefox. But would be crap if I lose new "bookmarks" and settings :p!

And what about Program Files?

Any advice?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  17. Saraceno

Miya, I just have a text file (using notepad) stored on my desktop which has all the urls I want to keep. All I do is commit the text file before rebooting.

Then after a reboot and before entering shadow mode again, I add my bookmarks.

The hard part is pleasing all users. If users get too selective and picky about certain software, then it defeats the point and purpose of using the software. Shadow Defender's total (100 per cent) protection becomes half-assed (60-80 per cent) protection. :)

18. Saraceno

For example, sometimes I think, 'I have to remove all these dud mp3s, there are heaps of them' and I go to delete them. Then I realise I'm not deleting anything, and I have to delete these files after a reboot and out of shadow mode.

One might say, but why can't I delete them? This program sucks! Where's the feature to delete?! User = o_O

But then you think, hey, that means no virus, or 'latest' trojan is able to delete anything. User = :D

19. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Indeed, and some users simply need to go through a learning process to understand the intent and proper application of the software. BTW, that's only a poke at myself.:D

20. Saraceno

It's all good crofttk. You might find you only use it when testing software, and rely on sandboxie when you're browsing. I find I use it when testing software or lending my laptop to a family member, which usually results in the wallpaper changing to something 'graphic' and a couple of programs installed.

Now I say, 'install all the games you want! Go for your life, screw it up!' ;)

No need to use revouninstaller to remove registry entries, I just reboot! And shadow defender can be setup to be password protected, even to 'commit' files. You can even hide the icon so someone using your computer doesn't even know it's running.

And I've lost count the amount of times I go to www.majorgeeks.com and try out some software, only to be annoyed at myself for installing it! Just reboot and it disappears.

21. Miyasashi

Well browsers are running Sandboxed and Sandboxie allows me to change my bookmarks.

So I don't really have to use Shadow Defender to cover the browsers, since everything cached is deleted anyways.

The problem is any other settings I change within the browser or maybe some other programs will be reset after reboot.

So.. would it be advisable to exclude certain folders in Appdata to prevent that from happening?

Also, do I need HIPS like Defensewall if I open untrusted executables with Sandboxie? I have Avira Antivir running in the background.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  22. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I'm on day 2 of trying SD. I particularly like the Exclusion list. I added my AV, AS and FW to the list. I'm not really sure if adding the FW is a good idea or not, so maybe someone can advise as to whether I should leave it on the Exclusion list. The Shadow Mode label on the desktop is a nice touch and you can place it any where you like and it will remember to stay there. Similar to the Returnil toolbar but has no functionality except to remind you that your in shadow mode. You can find the functionality right clicking the Sys tray icon. Basically it's really easy to learn just going through the directions once. :)

23. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

What AV and AS are you using. And does exclusion list works?
    When i've tried with SAS and MBAM in the exclusion list they won't stay updated. After reboot the definitions are back to previous state.

Also with AV. For some time i've tested NOD and it worked a couple of days.
    Although the date of update in the GUI of the Av was wrong the definitions database was right.
    And after reboot doesn't required an update.

But after 1 week of usage the AV database became corrupted and refused to be updated.

24. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

If I read the instructions correctly, putting these in the exclusion list means they won't be effected by shadow mode. Do you stay in shadow mode constantly? I have SAS, Nod32 and OA firewall excluded. I haven't had them excluded long enough to test your finding, and I won't be in shadow mode constantly, only when on line. When I boot up, Nod updates it's definitions within a few minutes, as well as SAS if there are any. I still would like to find an answer to my question in post #1 if anyone knows the answer. :)

25. Saraceno

I'm not sure if the exclusion list works for AVs. You'd have to see whether your program stored the updates in its folder or in say the user/appdata folder. From what I recall, superantispyware for example stores some details in the user/appdata folder.

I've removed all folders to be excluded as I found if you accidentally forget you're in shadow mode, and you drag files to the excluded area (starts commiting the files) there is a bit of a slowdown. Made the mistake of excluding my desktop, and dragged a 8GB iso file from the C drive folder to the desktop! ;)

Now no folders are excluded, I commit files by right-clicking and selecting commit. And I just do a forced update of the AV, sandboxie, AS a few times week. Or every morning, whichever works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.