Defraggler lockup causing odd error.

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by GideonD, Dec 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GideonD

GideonD Registered Member

A couple of months ago I installed Defraggler on my girlfriend's PC. I had it running for a bit and it seemed to be going fine. I came back a couple minutes later and noticed Kerio firewall (the version right before Sunbelt took it over) was prompting for net access from Defraggler. As soon as I clicked Allow the PC blue screened. I got it back up and running and had the same thing happen again when Defraggler was almost done. I uninstalled Defraggler and went back to JKDefrag. Defraggler is way too slow at what it does. Everything seemed to be fine at that point.

Now she's been getting at odd error I've never seen before (see below). I haven't found much info on it occurring under WinXP. I finally did a system restore and reinstalled her updates and all seemed well again for about a month. Now the error is occurring again. Any input on what could be causing this is much appreciated.

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: Application Popup
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 26
    Date: 12/02/2008
    Time: 1:07:37 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: xxxx-xx
    Description:
    Application popup: Windows - Low On Registry Space : The system has reached the maximum size allowed for the system part of the registry. Additional storage requests will be ignored.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

2. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

It seems to be a Nvidia drivers issue. NTRegOpt would help (you can try it before uninstall/install Nvidia drivers). Backup your registry with ERUNT before.

Link1 - Link2 - Link3 - Link4

3. GideonD

GideonD Registered Member

Thanks for the input. I did run NTRegOpt come to think of it. Its built into the JKDefragGUI. That seemed to help for a while. She does have an Nvidia Mobo so I'll have to uninstall the drivers and put the newest ones on. I hope that does the trick.

Thanks again.

4. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Yes JkDefragGUI allows to compact Registry hive files before defragmentation, with NTRegOpt (like to defrag these files+pagefile with PageDefrag). And to clean PC before defrag it.

It's a good tool for the disk maintenance. I like use also JkDefragStarter when I want to do a defragmentation only.

IMO JkDefrag is far better than Defraggler and with a very good support.

Good luck. (BTW if you have the minidump files we can see what was the culprit'driver perhaps)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.