Ayrecovery free for one year

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by aigle, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

2. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

If AY version numbers correspond to EF and RB version numbers, this is very old and I would be extremely ecautious about using it. Certainly not Vista-compatible. :doubt:

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Not vista compatible, Yes. But it must be OK with XP.

4. renegade08

renegade08 Registered Member

5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Its basically eaz-fix/rollback without all the bells and whistles. It has the same basic functionality so its great for those who don't need all those extra options. One noticeable difference is file size, eaz-fix/rollback is approaching 60mb while ayrecovery is still <10mb.

6. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Their site lists Vista.

7. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Hi aigle i was dying to get a copy of ayrecovery .But no longer use it now. But its a great program anyway.

8. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

AyRecovery is missing the drive image which build in eaz fix + rollback ...it is very VERY important tool which can back up your current snapshot WITHOUT any trace of eazfix/rollback :)

9. renegade08

Thanks for the info.

10. renegade08

They have another program: AYGHOST.

:ninja:

http://www.ayrecovery.com/Products_ay.php

Obviously they are trying to make additional money from it.

11. guest

guest Guest

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

In practice, they don,t slow down. Atleast I don,t feel it in every day use of PC. BTW everything comes with some price. Also after FDISR is gone, there is no choice now.

13. guest

guest Guest

you are true for basic usage (watch divx, listen to music, ligth games)
    but i use wmvare, game, ...

speed is important,
    people use ligth antivirus for speed,
    same as other apps
    everybody like speed.

this app has some problem, defrag and hdd write/read slowdown.

and i ask myself , do i need 6000 snapshoot?

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ofcourse not but I do need about ten of them.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  15. raakii

raakii Registered Member

ayrecovery increases startup time for Windows and no noticeable difference in hard disk write speed according to me.

16. farmerlee

I currently run it on my 6 year old laptop and theres no noticeable slowdown. It runs just as well on there as eaz-fix does on my more modern system.

17. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

I did download & install in a VM but I think in order to use on my Computer I might have to uninstall Returnil, Acronis, & FDISR. This would be a major major change for me & I'm not sure its really worth doing. I do like the program a lot * IT IS FREE. Am I correct in my assumptions above.

18. farmerlee

Both fd-isr and ayrecovery do a similar job so theres no need to have both installed. Ayrecovery can do what returnil does so there would be no need for returnil. It should work fine alongside trueimage however if you want to be able to backup snapshots you will need to do a sector by sector backup.

19. Woody777

So which Acronis version actually does a sector by sector backup? I,m kind of getting tired of the slow FDISR backups & I actually use returnil.

20. Woody777

Oh one thing I keep forgetting to mention is that I have Raid type 0 courtesy of E Machine.

21. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Woody,

Corporate versions of Acronis TI have always had that capability but it had to be enabled by means of a command-line. In the Home versions, a Sector by Sector backup option first became available in v11 and Acronis made it very easy to use (via a check box). I've used it several times to successfully backup and restore my system drive (and all RB snapshots were preserved).

Btw, ATI's Startup Manager conflicts with AY/EF/RB (as they each need to modify/control the MBR), so do not enable ATI's Startup Manager. Other than that I have found ATI Home v11 coexists well with RB. That said, I must admit I prefer Drive Snapshot to ATI because it is so much faster. However, ATI does the job and includes a very nice GUI recovery disk!

Sorry, but I don't have a clue as to conflicts/problems using Returnil with these instant restore programs.

JA

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  22. Woody777

than You for the info. So what happens after 1 year is the program a 1 year trial or does the update period end?

23. farmerlee

I guess we'll find out in a year :).

24. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Some more questions about this! Can never again defrag - correct? What impact does this have on your system? Can I put backups with Norton Ghost on my external HD? Thank You!

25. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

When using AY, EF, or RB, you can run their built-in Snapshot Defragmenter whenever you please. There is really no point in running a 3rd party defragger with any of these programs installed and furthermore, doing so can be risky!

Afaik, recent versions of Norton Ghost can not create a backup image from its rescue CD, so Ghost would not be a backup program of choice with AY, EF or RB. That limitation does not exist with Acronis TI, DriveSnapshot, Image for Windows/DOS, Paragon Drive Backup, or ShadowProtect. Furthermore, these backup programs are able to perform a sector-by-sector backup, so any of them could completely backup all snapshots of an AY, EF, or RB system partition/drive to an external drive.

JA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.