The domain "download.eset.com" is invalid.

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus v4 Beta Forum' started by H47, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CivilTaz

CivilTaz Registered Member

Maybe this can help u.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=225730

2. H47

H47 Registered Member

3. CivilTaz

If u mean this link http://u40.eset.com/download/engine4test/
    its not a webpage, its a update server for nod32, u have to enter it manually in the update options.

4. H47

H47 Registered Member

I entered it in, but I got an error message saying:

Can not connect to server.

5. CivilTaz

Mmm, maybe u still have the problem with the hosts file, it blocks access to some ip's. U have to edit it, its located here Windows\system32\drivers\etc\
    Open it with notepad and delete all the entries u'll see there, for example, mine only have this line

127.0.0.1 localhost

U can leave it blank if u want. Dont know if that's really the problem, but let's hope it can help u.

6. H47

H47 Registered Member

How do I go about accessing Windows\system32\drivers\etc\ ?

Do I use Windows Explorer ?

7. CivilTaz

Yep, system32 is a hidden system folder, so maybe u have to enable the option to see that folder.
    U can make a manual search too, and look for that specific file.

8. H47

H47 Registered Member

What part of the following should I delete?

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

9. CivilTaz

Ur hosts file seems fine. If that's all is inside the file, then that's not the problem. Are u still having the problems u had yesterday when trying to access those pages? If so, then is a DNS problem, but not with the hosts file, u said u could have problems with your router, what router is it?

10. H47

H47 Registered Member

Yes. I am still having the same problems.

I don't know the name of the router at this time. Because one of the guys who lives in the house owns the router and he is at work right now.

When he gets home, I'm going to ask him to re-set his router.

11. CivilTaz

Ok, but before reseting the router, u can try to access the pages in the other PC that is connected to the router, if u can access them from that computer then it's a problem in ur PC, if not, go ahead and reset it to see if that helps.

12. H47

H47 Registered Member

I just got into an argument with the person who owns the router. He doesn't trust my information and he made a threat against me. He told me that if something goes wrong then it's going to be on me and that I will have to pay for a new router. Well I don't have the money because I am on SSI. So I told him to just forget the whole thing.

So meanwhile, I can't update NOD32 4 Beta.

So I went around looking for another antivirus program that will let me update and I came across the online scan of Panda Antivirus. The online scan found over a hundred viruses on my computer but would not clean it up unless I paid 12 dollars.

So I got the idea of downloading the trial version. But now I ran into yet another problem. It's not in English. I can't find an English version of the program.

13. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Well, you clearly have DNS issues that need to be solved (or your hosts file location has been changed from the standard one via some malware in registry). There's no point in messing with various download locations because your AV will NOT be able to update until you fix your DNS.

You can check for the actual location of HOSTS file that's being used by checking the following key via regedit:

Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\DataBasePath

The REG_EXPAND_SZ value should read: %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc

P.S. A reboot is required for the registry changes to take effect!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  14. H47

H47 Registered Member

I can't find the DataBasePath part in my registry.

15. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Shrug; so add the key? I can, that's all I can say here. You should also check your system with something like Dr. Web CureIT or whatnot as it can quite possible be infected with some kind of DNS hijacking trojan.

16. H47

H47 Registered Member

I am in fact infested with the Trojan.DNSChanger.

17. CivilTaz

Good to hear u found the origin of the problem, i hope u can update nod32 now that u know what was the problem.

18. ASpace

ASpace Guest

The definitions that came with v4 are not so long . Could you please check if ESET now detects this trojan and if not send a copy of it to ESET Labs - samples@eset.sk

19. H47

H47 Registered Member

Yeah. But I'm still totally screwed because there appears to be no way to get rid of the Trojan.DNSChanger unless the router is re-set. And like I said, the owner of the router doesn't want to do it. We had got into a fight about it.

I have spent the past couple of days trying to find a different way to go about without having to re-set the router, but nothing at all has turned up.

20. CivilTaz

Maybe the router is not the problem because u found the trojan in ur computer, so is more likely the problem is inside ur PC, another person had the same problem and it seems he could solve it using other tools

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1353401&postcount=7

Maybe it can help u.

21. H47

H47 Registered Member

Thank you for the link. I looked at it, but it really didn't help me any because it didn't tell me how to go about deleting the items:

Delete what files?

Change what registry entries?

22. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Go and register in a forum providing malware cleanin services . They'll guide you to a way of eliminating any threats from your computer and the side effects . I'd recommend AumHa forums

23. H47

H47 Registered Member

Thank you for the link. :)

I just registered and posted there.

24. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Please send a log from SysInspector to samples[at]eset.com with this thread's url in the subject.

25. H47

H47 Registered Member

I wish I could. But unfortunately I had to uninstall NOD32 several days ago. I didn't want to uninstall it. I like the program. But not being able to get any updates rather defeated the purpose of having it on the computer.

What I had to do was install a different antivirus program that would update (after a work-around that finally let me do it).

If I ever manage to get rid of the Trojan.DNSChanger, I will probably go back to using NOD32.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.