Introducing, The New Prevx Edge.

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by trjam, Nov 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Enjoy my friends, all of their products have been enhanced. Bravo Prevx.:thumb:
    Prevx Edge

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

A special thanks goes out to all of the beta testers who dedicated a LOT of their time to help us solve some really intricate issues. If anyone has any problems/questions/concerns, please let me know.

There are a couple outstanding issues at the moment, and a couple minor features currently not included, but they will be added very soon (for instance, Windows Security Center integration)!

Note: the product explains the trial version, but if interested: the trial is time-unlimited but will not block the malware it sees during the trial (so you can essentially use it like an ondemand scanner which works in realtime).

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  3. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

congrats to all Prevx folk for an exceptional job! the Edge is outstanding in everyway, light, stable as a rock, and unfazed by anything i could find to throw at it.

PrevxHelp, you are truly exceptional...thank-you!

Mike

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Theyyyyy're baaaaack!

Congratulations!

I hope Prevx Edge will become a BIG winner, and fully expect that it will. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

5. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

Another special thanks goes to everyone who has trusted and supported Prevx and our work always during these years ;)

6. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

is this like a HIPS program or more of a behaviour blocker like mamutu?

7. PrevxHelp

Edge is a combination of a few different types of technology. At the heart of it lies our community database, where behaviors from our HIPS component are collected and analyzed. Along with these behaviors, we analyze incoming files against a whitelist and adaptive blacklist as well as a group of heuristics and various metrics to interpret its behavior and determine if it should be trusted or not.

It is not, however, a standard behavior blocker. For instance, while you can't configure it to explicitly block certain disk writes, it will analyze the overall behavior of applications to make its own determination, guided by your settings in the Edge Settings > Heuristics Settings screen.

Hope that helps :)

8. PrevxHelp

Thank you for all of your testing and support as well :D Please let us know if do happen to break anything. Even though it is out of beta and completely released now, we will be constantly upgrading it with smarter/faster scanning and protection.

9. firzen771

hmm sounds sorta like an ultimate suite, a HIPS, behaviour blocker and typical AV all in one :D

10. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

System Requirements o_O
    Can not find on website.

11. PrevxHelp

That's a very good point. We're still finishing up the website and will continue improving it over the next week.

The install is only about 900kb and requires no extra downloads (it scans using our online database of many million signatures).

To be safe, we recommend 10mb of free harddisk space, as well as 128mb of RAM. We also recommend at least a P4 processor, but it can run on very low requirements as it is quite light when running (and it can also scale up to 32+ core machines with multi-gb of RAM).

It requires a 32bit processor (currently, we will support 64bit in the coming weeks), and Windows 2000 SP4, XP SP2, 2003, or Vista.

12. PrevxHelp

Yes, rather than requiring users to download a number of separate products, we have welded together a number of different technologies into one integrated database. :)

However, if you do prefer using other products or having a multilayer security setup, Edge will work alongside virtually any security setup (I say virtually because there are billions of combinations and we couldn't possibly test all of them, but we have done extensive testing against major security products).

13. firzen771

ill give this new program a shot and see if i like it :D maybe if i like it enuff ill replace my Mamutu with it.

1 question, does edge cover the same protection areas as Mamutu would?

14. PrevxHelp

Great :D

If you have any questions, please let me know. We are currently in the process of writing a detailed user guide but because of the overwhelming demand to get the actual product and website released, we didn't have time to complete the documentation before the release.

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

more. It is all I use and will use.

16. firzen771

k ty, i was only curious cuz if i did choose to switch to prevx then i wanted to make sure that it wuld cover at LEAST all the same areas as Mamutu did. thx

**EDIT**

tried this out and so far im loving it, EXTREMELY light and seems like a well rounded app, will continue to test it out though. although i do wish it had a bit more custimization ability with its settings.

17. cp4eva

cp4eva Registered Member

So, there's no real-time protection for the trial period?

REALLY?

18. firzen771

unfortunetly, no ther is not:(

19. PrevxHelp

The trial period is definitely unique and non-standard. The benefit and reasoning behind making this choice is as follows: instead of severing all chance of any future demoing as soon as the 14 or 30 days ends, regardless of if an infection was found or not, we give the user the ability to try it out for as long as they want.

Many users may not ever encounter an infection in the standard 30 day trial of an AV and after that period, they would generally be unable to try it again - ever. Therefore, we feel that by offering an unlimited period with malware monitoring and reporting without blocking, the user will be able to get a complete feel for it and all of its idiosyncrasies.

20. PrevxHelp

What other customization options would you be interested in having us add? We are definitely willing to make any changes requested.

21. Einsturzende

Einsturzende Registered Member

...So you will be actually able to see how your system get infected, great decision and quite unique, may I say :rolleyes:
    to see how program functions I must be infected, UNBELIEVABLE

22. PrevxHelp

You would receive the same results when using an ondemand scanner. Services like Kaspersky's, TrendMicro's, etc. online scanners are offered to show users the detection rates of their products and to identify infections. Then, users identify the benefits of those products and purchase them.

Although it may seem non-standard, it essentially acts as a realtime ondemand scanner. Rather than needing to run a scan every day to detect malware, you are able to identify malware immediately which would have bypassed the other pieces of your security setup (or you can use the ondemand scanner provided within it if wanted :)).

If you don't ever encounter an infection when trialing another antivirus product with the standard trial cutoff, you would have wasted your one and only shot at seeing if that antivirus product would be beneficial to you. This way, you will be able to see the benefits immediately and continue to see benefits by utilizing the ondemand scanner whenever wanted.

23. Einsturzende

It would be great if in range of 30 day trial it would be able to catch malware in real-time and then after with RED WARNING be informed that we going in "frustration endless" mode while you can see how your credit card details departure from you or how your HD going to be useless piece of junk or similar malware behavior ...

24. PrevxHelp

I agree with your logic. As long as we make it perfectly obvious when the real protection trial period is ending and the diluted trial is beginning, I think this may be a better solution as it gives users the ability to try out both aspects of the product.

I will ensure that we discuss this topic in the morning and I will let everyone here know what our decision is.

25. Einsturzende

Manny thanks, I will try it then... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.