AVAST AV Acceptable Enough With This?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by EASTER, Nov 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

As some of you already know i am a fierce HIPS proponant, Lately i decided to add another razor wire to what i consider a circle of incredible proportions in the form of MAMUTU + HIPS = either RTD or EQS + Script Trap or ScriptDefender as well as SandboxIE (On-Demand) to give a outline of front line shielding.

I already found AVIRA [FREE] on another system which is very good, but does anyone offer an opinion if AVAST AV [free] would also serve as an added defense measure to compliment those other security apps that seem to be within reason virtually impenetrable.

As if that wasn't enough, ProgressGuard 3.5 is been a very "lite" but extremely useful wall of guard in and of itself that co-incides wonderfully and is another very STRONG! deterrent that even trumps MAMUTU in many ways.

So questions is, would AVAST be worthy enough to fill in also as Avira already has proven to be so far when teamed along my other security apps mentioned?

I prefer to take the form of a shorth list of security without use of any virtual systems such as Returnil or DeepFreeze with the only exception of sandboxIE which is On-Demand only anyway?

ANY COMMENTS? RECOMMENDATIONS TO THIS?

Thanks EASTER

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I'm a little confused, you want to run avast alongside avira or instead of avira?

3. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Avast! currently relies on its virus database rather than heuristic analysis. Taking this into consideration, it has done remarkably well for an AV using just a virus database. As we know, heuristics do not necessarily equal malware detection.

Version 5 is due shortly, which 'should' have a behavioural detection module (thanks RejZor - reading your avast forum posts). And most likely a much needed interface upgrade.

With regards to its settings, its standard shield, web shield and others (P2P shield, mail shield etc) can be switched off according to a users' needs. The changes can also persist after reboot (for example, if you wanted the real time shields turned off for awhile). This might suit you if you're running a number of other security applications.

Overall, my experience with Avast! is that it runs smooth, haven't experienced a failed update or program crash, and it has never conflicted with any other program. Runs very light too (including the web scanner which you don't even notice is running -even on older machines).

Just for reference, see images below. Also, un-check the 'enable skins for simple user interface' in program settings, to activate the plain simple skin seen below.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well there will be some heuristics already in the upcoming new 4.8 build.
    Behavior detection is confirmed for version 5, as well as completelly new interface (which will visualy be much like their standalone Anti-Rootkit program which is still in beta).
    I personally think avast! alone is enough for most users unles you manage to mock up your PC regardles of what you use. In that case you're better off not even using PC...

5. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

The interface of the Avast antirootkit program is quite slick. Quite impressed with it. (Apologies for the attached images, had nothing to do today!)

To address EASTER, I've run Avast! with MAMUTU and sandboxie with no slowdowns or conflicts. Actually I've run it with most programs mentioned on wilders.

Attached Files:

6. ross232

ross232 Registered Member

Heuristics as in more than just 'generic' detections? You've got me curious now, all I saw VLK write in the Avast! forum was that there were changes under the hood to the A/V Engine in the beta, but nothing specific?

7. risl

risl Registered Member

I used Avast in the past and that would be my second choise after Dr.Web. It's also a very troublefree AV.

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It's more behavior based than signature, though they obviously work best together...

9. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

The only problem i have with Avast is DEP in "AlwaysOn" mode. They should fix it. Other than that,
    is pretty much true. My favorite. :)

10. i_g

i_g Registered Member

What exactly is the problem, when does it occur?
    Does the error box show any detailed info? (module name, address, ...)
    Thanks.

11. gery

gery Registered Member

Avast's antispyware ain't that good so is the rootkit scanner.

12. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Standard DEP's notice that it's going to shut down application x.

I was trying WormGuard and Avast detected something -> DEP.
    There is a different report here, but it's DEP also.

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well this is clearly not a regular sceanrio where DEP and avast! co-exist just fine. I suggest you come to avast! forums and try to solve the problem there as ALWIL programmers also hang around...

14. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

but avast's rootkit scaner is same as Gmer:thumb:

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

And the new avast! 4.8.1282 has just been released with some pretty big changes.

17. gery

gery Registered Member

Read their support forum what does it say about these two components. I had no issues with AVAST .It is just the ugly skin i do not like:mad: It has issues with Threat Fire lately

18. risl

risl Registered Member

You can download custom skins and there are pretty nice alternatives

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Like ppl never heard of skinless interface thats there like forever...

20. i_g

i_g Registered Member

Not true, actually... they are different (even though worked on by the same guy).

21. jlo

jlo Registered Member

I have to admit at one time submission times for submitted samples were taking a long time (weeks) however I am now finding that virus samples I have submitted are being added in a few days so things have improved.

I agree with the others, its a strong engine and always runs smoothly. I have it on my daughters computer and at the moment also have it via Gdata as it uses Avast as one of the engines.

The last few samples I have submitted to both Bitdefender and Avast, Avast have added detection first.

Well done Avast.

Cheers

Jlo

22. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I installed Avast on my daughters computer today, and it immediately found a trojan on the initial scan. The trojan spread into 57 files and each time it was found I had to decide what to do with it. I quarantined it. Now what. Avast couldn't fix it. It was in system32, and spread to temp files here and there. Although the scan was agonizingly long, it was very thorough. I thought it would be a simple install and I'd be on my way. :p

23. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It's recommended to perform a boot-time scan or at least scan in safe mode for proper and thorough cleaning of infected systems.

24. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Sorry I wasn't clear. It was a boot-time scan and verrry thorough. :)

25. alphadog

alphadog Registered Member

Why Mamutu + Avira? Why not just a-squared's Anti-Malware package?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.