Good XP Hardening Guide

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Pseudo, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pseudo

Pseudo Registered Member

I'm looking to squeeze out some extra performance, and possibly close some ports. Could any point me to a good XP service/hardening guide?

2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Possibily this tool here, hover your mouse over the settings tells you what it does/don't.
    The tool does not require installation.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=93893

3. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

4. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

Hi,

I use Advanced SystemCare 3 RC2, and Seconfig XP.

5. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

I use WWDC, SpywareBlaster, and MVPS custom HOSTS file

6. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Black Viper's Windows Services configurations (under: Popular Content) is a must see if you are really serious about hardening this area of your O/S. It is the definitive Windows Services guide.

7. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Rather than go down that road, which I believe will not yield much, you'd be better off just choosing your apps well, ones that are light and yet do the job well. If you pick the right ones, you will have optimal performance.

9. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

10. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I tweaked my services according to tweakhound's guide in march ths year. No problems yet. But, I must say, I doubt the performance increase is very noticeable. You'll be better of defraging, keeping you HDD from reaching the max capacity and buying more RAM.

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Exactly.... I have "been there, done that" before and the end result is you gain a bit of ram if you're tight and in need, but virtually no visible performance gain.

But it IS fun messing with it all... ;)

12. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

...and those messing guides are very instructive of all the OS' ins & outs. :D

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, it's a good educational experience.....

14. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I neuter services more to just either stop actions that are really not needed or when xp first came out, posed a threat. The only performance increase I have ever noticed though is boot time. Less services generally equates to slightly faster boot times by a few seconds.

Sul.

15. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Boot your computer, then run cmd prompt. Type in netstat -ano and see what is open. on a fresh boot, you should only see ports 137-139 open in you are using NetBIOS. All other ports should be closed. WWDC will close them for you generally. No performance increase here, but it does tell you what ports are open. If you see one, notice the PID. Then type in tasklist to see what owns them. Or you can also type in tasklist /svc to see what is being used by services. As an example using tasklist /svc shows PID 752 to belong to one instance of svchost.exe, which this then shows you that thread is responsible for audio,seclogin,themes, etc. There are nice front-ends that do the same thing, but it is alway nice to know how the old'fashioned way.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.