Command Line Scanner

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Wallace, Nov 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wallace

Wallace Registered Member

Hi,
    I am a new user of ESS and I am very pleased with it so far. However, I am having a problem getting the command line scanner to work.

When I use WinRAR to open or check an archive I like the option to virus check it first. I have configured WinRAR to call ECLS.EXE which it does in a DOS box. However, I know ECLS has started because I get a statement to that effect in the DOS box. After about half a second I get the line "scanner failed to initialise".

I have tried the FAQ's and a search here but cannot find a solution. Is there one?

Thanks.

2. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Try to add something like

Code:
    --base-dir="C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus"

to the arguments. No idea what's the path for ESS, not using it.

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Try this:

Virus scanner name:
    "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\ecls.exe"

Virus scanner parameters:
    “%f” –base-dir=”C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security” –subdir –symlink –no-log-all –aind –auto –files –boots –arch –mail –sfx –rtp –adware –unsafe –unwanted –pattern –heur –adv-heur –action=clean –quarantine

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  4. Wallace

Thank you both for the replies. I am sorry but neither options work. I still get "Scanner failed to initialise" message.

ECLS is running as it shows in the DOS box, just for some reason it fails to initialise, whatever that means.

Thanks for you time.

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Is it installed in the default location? The quotes that display in my previous post in the parameters part look like they may slant, so you may want to manually retype the quotes, to make sure they are the correct character. The only time I have seen that message is when the path is incorrect.

Also, others will probably tell you this is redundant, as the file will be scanned on access anyway, though I myself see no reason not set get this working correctly.

6. Wallace

Yes, I installed to the default location. As I say, WinRAR does run ECLS OK because it tells me that it's running in the DOS box. Then a line appears underneath that saying "scanner initialisation failed" after half a second or so.

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi!

You really don't need the ECLS to scan your archives first . Because if they have arrived from the web , they have already been scanned by the Web-access protection . Additionally , the real-time file system protection scans every archive upon extract so all files will be scanned as soon as you choose to extract the archive . Last but not least all files will be scanned upon their access (you try to open/start them) . Scanning them with ECLS , no matter if and how it can be achieved , is only time loss . It really doesn't provide any security benefit . It was made mainly to provide users with scan option in Safe Mode , where the ESET Service/Kernel (ekrn.exe) is not loaded.

To try/test what I already said , use these two :
    http://www.eicar.org/download/eicar_com.zip
    https://secure.eicar.org/eicar_com.zip

8. Wallace

Thank you for that. I didn't realise that ESS would protect quite like that. Thank you. It doesn't explain why I cannot use ECLS from within WinRAR though. Now I don't need to use it I suppose that it doesn't matter.

Thanks all.

9. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Smart Security , mate :thumb: its name says it all .

It has real-time protection to monitor all the places you may get infected from.

As far as I know , it really was made not to be integrated into WinRAR , just to provide scans in Safe Mode , which explains well why it doesn't work , I guess . But it really doesn't matter ;)

10. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Hi Wallace,

On my PC I have entered into WinRAR exactly as follows (Note where quotes are used and where they aren't!):
    Screenshot - 3_11_2008 , 10_51_24 PM.png
    Virus scanner name
    Code:
    C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\ecls.exe
    Virus scanner parameters
    Code:
    /adv-heur /adware /arch /boots /files /mail /no-log-all /pattern /quarantine /rtp /sfx /subdir /unsafe /unwanted /aind /base-dir="C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security" "%f"
    The file path for /base-dir= could actually be different on your PC than it is on mine but will match the path to ecls.exe

Hope that helps.

EDIT: You may prefer to use different switches than I have - there is a list here

Cheers :)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  11. Wallace

Bingo!

I had to alter the program directory, but it works!

Even though it is not really required (as I have be told), it's nice to know it does work.

Thanks.

12. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Glad to assist.

Cheers :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.