RollBack Rx backup question

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Dark Star 72, Oct 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

I have just installed HD RollBack Rx professional version of FD-ISR (wasn't into computers when the original was about) and find it very useful.
    When exploring the menu I found under Advanced Tasks > Drive Image that there is a facility for creating a full back up for a bare metal recovery to an external hard drive and for creating a bootable cd rescue disc.
    On my copy of Rollback the help menu doesn't work properly so I cannot read any info on this procedure.
    So, my question, has anyone tried this back up or have any experience of it. Is it a feasible replacement for an imaging program like Acronis TI?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Are you talking about FDISR Rescue or Rollback? If as I assume you are talking about Rollback, Dark Star I don't use it and one of the primary reason's is imaging with it is a mess.

Pete

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  3. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Pete,
    Thanks for your reply. Yes, I was referring to Rollback and the answer is much what I expected so will continue to trial Shadow Protect and probably go with that.

Ian

4. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi Pete

I use Rollback Rx imaging as my primary tool for creating and restoring a full back up of my main hard disk. However, I do not believe that I have ever come across anything that would lead me to believe that "...imaging with it is a mess".

Of course, your experience concerns me, given the above, and I would very much like more detail as to the exact nature of your experiences in this area...if you are able/willing to share, of course.:)

Thanks in anticpation.

Baldrick

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Couple of things. First, if not mistaken isn't there some reinstall issue when you restore. Also if I remember it's a linux based disk, and I can't use them, and see a lot of people that have Acronis problems have trouble with the linux based solution.

Pete

6. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi Pete

Thanks for taking the trouble to respond. I think that you are partly right about re-installation. From the v8.1 manual I have found the following which I think is what you are referring to:

"If the target drive has Rollback Rx installed (we recommend you to uninstall Rollback Rx from the target drive before restoring a backup image to it, but if you didn't), you must check the Restore MBR option. Click on Next to proceed."

A bit silly in my opinion as you would most likely be in a disaster recovery situation and therefore not had the opportunity to uninstall Rollback before the issue occurred.

You are also correct that it is a Linux-based disk (most seem to be these days for some reason) but I must be fortunate in that I have not (yet)experienced any issues with running such disks, including the one you need to make for the Acronis restore (if not using their Secure Zone, etc.).

Again, thanks for providing the fgeedback. I will have to do a further test re. this just to double check it is a completely useful solution for me (to replace Acronis as I only use the image backup/recovery element and the latest version seems to be a retrograde step if the commnets to be read on the web are to be believed).

Cheers

Baldrick:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.