Keeping data current

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by TonyW, Oct 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I know some people keep their data on a separate partition to keep it away from the OS, and it therefore remains current whichever snapshot you're in.

Some users keep their data on the one partition and anchor it so it remains current whichever snapshot they're in.

I was wondering how the scenario such as used by Peter2150 works. He, and others, have two snapshots only with the secondary snapshot stripped down. This group of people rely on the archives structure to help them get out of trouble or to simply refresh from an earlier copy/update.

My query relates to this scenario: if you update your primary archive nightly and your data is also backed up by some other means, what happens if you do some work on your data the next day, but something goes amiss and you need to rollback. The copy/update is going to reverse everything from the night before, including your data so you lose what you've just worked on.

Do you data anchor even with archives? Or some other method?

2. alloucho

alloucho Registered Member

For me Data is always on a second partition. I don´t backup the data partition, only system partition will be archieved and every two or three days updated.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Tony

That is an issue for me for sure. On my system I use primarily for business, I do the archive update every night, but I also, use Outback Plus 6, which in essense backs up my data. Since it handles open files and is quick, when ever there are significant changes I click on it. I also have Shadowprotect running continous incrementals, so I am pretty well covered. Only real issue might be a couple of emails, and Outlook leaves those on the server for 2 days.

Pete

4. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I do hope you backup your data by some other means.

5. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I thought that was for backing up email data mostly. o_O

I do currently synch my data, including emails, to an external hard drive nightly. That, however, wouldn't prevent losing an updated version in between if something untoward happened. The only thing in its favour is that the data is currently on a second partition.

What sparked me off thinking about this is I originally had everything on the one partition before switching to two. Before I made the change, I used to have about 3-4 FD-ISR snapshots and data anchored My Documents, but no archives. Now I just have the two snapshots with archives like you, but data is still on a second partition. I was just trying to see if it was workable on one partition only given the scenario I mentioned.

6. Peter2150

Hi Tony

1. Outback Plus 6 is nice as yes it backs up Outlook, but can do it without shutting down Outlook. But you can also specify other stuff, particularily in My Documents. Once you've done one backup, they have a one click feature.

2. Absolutely only reason for a separate partition for data is choice. I've run with only one partition for years, with no issues at all. My backup scenario prevents data loss, from drive damage, and as far as malware, it's only entry here is email or surfing. Since I have all my browsers and Outlook running under sandboxie, and no sandboxed program can access My Documents, I am as secure as one would be with a separate partition. Go for it.

Pete

7. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I'm not sure, but I may have read somewhere about programs that synch data after they've been updated. It's difficult to always remember to backup data immediately after every word processor file etc. has been created or edited. Sure, there is the archive or the last synched data to fall back on, but that is only from say the night before.

See what I'm getting at?

By the way, I seem to remember you used AJC's Directory Sync at one time. Maybe you still do, but wonder how that fits in with your backup strategy.

8. Peter2150

I still use AJC's Directory Sync. It's indeed part of my back up strategy as I use it to move data to an external drive, and also sync the other computers.

To cover what you are saying in para 1, I also use AJC's Active Backup. I just protects me from me, but what it does is make an archive of data files, such as word,excel, my database etc, any time I close them. So if I edit a word doc, and then save it and exit only to discover I deleted a critical part, I can restore a previous version. You define how many and how far back the versions go.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.