Top Ten Keyloggers to Test

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Searching_ _ _, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Hello,

I know a lot of people here love to test keyloggers vs. security apps. I have seen threads like Zemana and others like the one I started on Powered Keyloggers somewhat latest incarnation.

When I noticed the activity in these threads I began a search for better keyloggers and to learn about features available. Along the way I learned the importance that businesses place on these types of monitoring apps to maintain the workplace.

In my search I have found a place that tests keyloggers and rates them. This site offers in depth features of each keylogger, price, and how they rate them. I think it is a very usefull site and so offer it here. Apparently no one has mentioned this site yet or some of the keyloggers they did test.

TOP TEN KEYLOGGERS

1. Spytech SpyAgent Stealth Edition 6.30.08
    2. All In One Keylogger 3.1
    3. KGB Spy 4.55
    4. Stealth Keylogger 4.9 build 137
    5. SpyBuddy 3.7.5
    6. Elite Keylogger Pro 4.1
    7. CyberSpy 2.7
    8. Perfect Keylogger 1.68
    9. Powered Keylogger 2.2.1.1981
    10. XPC Spy Pro 3.25

An in depth review of these keyloggers and others is available at http://www.keylogger.org/reviews/
    The list above is current based on the date of this post.

Enjoy,

Searching

P.S.

I think there are two ways to test.
    1. With security software installed before keylogger
    2. Security software is intstalled after keylogger.

I have been a #2, looking for a life raft after the boat has capsized, but have learned that being #1 is preferred.

2. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

One more to try is tiny LightLogger (is said not to work on Vista), from HeavenWard at http://heavenward.ru/monitoring_software.php.

I tried it and LightLogger.sys does not seem to be able to tog anything here. Don't know if it is broken or blocked, but if it was blocked I just did not see any blocking alert from SSM, DW nor SAS. Installer was "trusted" by DW and allowed by SSM.

Could someone more knowledgeable also test it?
    (Xp Pro sp2)

3. ruinebabine

Weird, don't know if it is related or not but first time I received a Red Screen of Death since I installed XP (what does mean the red color here?). It stayed on screen for 3 or 4 seconds with only a one line error message on top that I had not anough time to get (should have punched the pause key...). The system then rebooted by itself, strange cause BSOD used to stay until I decide to restart the pc.

On reboot, I received this message from SSM:

SSM_01.png
    (another novelty for me!)

Event Viewer reports nothing unusual other than some unrelated Service Control Manager errors #7009 & 7023 (about shadow service)...

EDIT: after another reboot, I cannot see anything related to this in SSM's logs.
    And LightLogger.log contains only that same line repeated adnauseum (many hundreds times):
    "could not init gdi funcs: ValidateHwnd:0, NtUserGetThreadState:f877164e".

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  4. ruinebabine

Could someone that tried this one tell me if it is really working on their pc? And is its process viewable in windows process manager and/or other security software?

Quote: "LightLogger monitoring software starts at a low level that allow you to make logging even when an anti-keylogger is installed."

5. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Searching, this side is pretty old nothing new and afaik rarely updated but it seems that they updated their content indeed not so long ago. If you asked me for the best traditional commercial keyloggers in terms of stealthiness and mutation rate I would mention three tools of their list: Elite Keylogger Pro, PC Acme and Spy Lantern.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  6. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

Hi Searching, Ruinebabine & SystemJunkie,

Look to thread " Your NEW BEST Free Softwares Anti-Malware and Windows Cleaners..."(on software & services )- post #56 :

IEHistoryView: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/iehv.html

Personally, I need CCleaner,, StartMenuClickHistory.exe, SecCheck, and Research Google on IE ...:doubt:

_________MyAntiVir Guard vs. LightLogger___________

AntiVir Guard: C:\...\lightloggersetup[1].exe : Contains detection pattern of the SPRLightLogger.A program. Deny access.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  7. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

8. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

None of these keyloggers can defeat or detect any keywords typed in a virtualbox guest session.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

And I hope none can beat Keyscambler as well.

I have personally tried Elite Keylogger and Powered Keylogger, both wrere defeated by Keyscambler. It might be a simpler solution than VB I think.

10. truthseeker

I wonder if the FREE version does? I assume you have the paid version?

11. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

@SystemJunkie

I figure peeps might know about the site but no one has a post referring to it, so I did. Some people have tested the newer Powered Keylogger but it is ranked 9th overall at the site.
    I'm messing around with VB on and off, more off lately, but hopefully I'll learn to configure it properly someday so I can contribute to minor testing.

@Truthseeker

[offtopic]
    Do you ever use a win vm? I'm having trouble configuring the bios.
    [/offtopic]
    I have learned from your other discussions about how VM's prevent host keyloggers from gathering data. Though not access to passwords they could still screen capture the VM session.

Searching

12. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Tried to test your list. But Norton detects each as riskware and quarantined it. After 6 failed attempts, I have given up.

I think Norton detects all of them. Glad to see my first line of defense is strong, atleast in this (commercial keylogger) regard.

13. truthseeker

Show me one that can do that.. I await your evidence with interest.

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I tried the free version.

15. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hello,

Testing thousand of keyloggers won't help if they all use one the known keylogging methods available. You can test many if not all known methods there with AKLT :
    http://www.firewallleaktester.com/aklt.htm

It just lacks of the driver based method. However a driver loaded can do much more than just keylogging...

Regards,
    gkweb.

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi what about adding driver loaded method as well to just to make this tool more complete?

17. Stubborn

Stubborn Registered Member

I agree. Zemana passed all AKLT test. It is a good software.

18. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

As did DefenseWall :D

19. Einsturzende

Einsturzende Registered Member

I would like also to see driver based keylogg methods and clipboard logging in your great test. :)
    Many thanks to you for your leak and keylogging tests, without it we will have less secure security applications

20. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hello,

Thank you very much. I'm concerned with improving AKLT, I have already undertaken some time ago to work on another keylogging method, but have all my time used by my job and cannot update AKLT for now. But be sure I'll work on it when I'll be able to.

I do not wish to add driver based keylogging : if you can load a driver, you own the OS, you cannot be stopped, you can do everything you want. Also, by running under a restricted user account, you easily and efficiently protect yourself from that threat, whereas the others keylogging methods still work.

Regards,
    gkweb.

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

The reason for asking this is just to have an extra test option where u can see whether ur security detects a driver install or not. It can be done by so many utilities but it will be handy to have it integrated into AKLT as well. Just my thought.

Ofcourse whenever u have time. Thanks

22. HungJuri

HungJuri Registered Member

That link in the opening post is an obvious sales page where they list what they say are the top ten, and then offer to sell it to you. :rolleyes: Has anyone tested anything from SpecterSoft? Will SpecterSoft work in a virtualbox guest session? http://www.spector.com/spectersoft.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.