Rising AntiVirus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Comp01, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

How is rising antivirus? the current free one? I need a free / decent AV for a family member, they were using AVG but its been giving them some trouble so I'm trying to switch it out.

2. icr

icr Registered Member

3. entropism

entropism Registered Member

I love Rising's firewall but their AV never impressed me, both in real experiences and on detection tests online. I personally use Avira, and I install Avast for all my clients.

4. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

geez the topic clearly says Rising! your just getting his topic closed

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I tried Rising AV for a while and didn't see anything wrong with it. You might want to install it and give it a run and see how it works out for you. It ran pretty light on my comp.

bigc

6. gery

gery Registered Member

it is light and very nice peace of software.it might srve you well

7. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Why would whether it's light or not matter if the detection is poor? During the time that I gave it a try it missed 9 of 10 email malware attachments that were then making the rounds.

8. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Half a loaf is better than none.

9. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Actually it would be 10% of a loaf (like a slice).

10. Someone

Someone Registered Member

According to the latest AV-test test, Rising scored around 80% in detection of malware and spyware.

11. saberfox

saberfox Former Poster

From what I've seen, Rising is perhaps the free AV of choice, if avast! and AVG don't suit you.

Unlike PC Tools and Avira, Rising offers spyware detection as well, and its detection rates aren't as piss-poor as Comodo. All things considered, it's not the greatest choice, but you could certainly fare worse than it.

12. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Personally, I don't feel very safe right now with Rising, because its AV File Monitor by default claims that system files do NOT need to be scanned because these files are already protected by Windows. Its HIPS protects files by turning on the Windows hiding for these protected files. Never the less, I still have very high hopes for Rising's future product releases.

Dave

13. FrenzyLion

FrenzyLion Registered Member

as i know, you can try Rising. just as someone said, it takes a few PC resource. i google rising, and get their official webste:
    www.rising-global.com
    so, you can logon for more info
    :) :) :)

14. Arup

Arup Guest

Rising has HIPS component standard in their AV and thats what makes it different from other offerings, it depends more on the HIPS than signature alone.

15. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

I have a strange problem with Rising Antivirus. Using Free Commander as my favorite file manager noticed that there was no "Scan with Rising" in context menu. In Windows Explorer there was no such problem. I do not have such problem with any other antivirus.

Can anyone help?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  16. Sam Hell

Sam Hell Registered Member

I can confirm the anomaly observed by Zimzi re Free Commander.
    I would register and inquire on Rising and FC forums if i had more time.

17. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Well, I gotta give Rising this much: on 9x/ME PCs, its script blocker works very well. I enabled this feature of RAV alone to run it with BitDefender 10. Works well.

Dave

18. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I like Rising AV, but is does not seem to test well.

19. Makav3l1

Makav3l1 Registered Member

I would choose avast for your family member. It is very easy to manage compared to an av with hips.

20. Sam Hell

Sam Hell Registered Member

I installed RAV and RPFW both about 5 mo. ago, when both were freeware.
    Neither have caused me any problem on XP SP2 HP athlon. I have both set to max
    level protection; I started out by configuring both for max level of protection for simplicity
    as i, being somewhat tech-impaired, am easily intimidated by complex security configurations.
    I have since found both to be as adequate as other popular free alternatives and much quieter,
    and more stable for me, so i have not felt a need to back off settings.
    Updates are frequent for defs and engine, perhaps daily, i do manual so they could come more or less.

As far as actual detection, i would defer to the forums experts. Both progs have stopped things on par with free versions of AVG, Avast, Avira, Comodo and SpywareTerminator which i have also used, but as a typical Joe the Websurfer i do not have ability or access to test much malware as others here.
    I do see that Rising is least discussed here as those in the know have other, more thoroughly tested preferences.
    Mostly paid for which does not suit me in particular at this time.

One caveat with RAV is that it is Chinese, and newer than the big boys.
    For my part that leaves the question whether they sufficiently define US and EU types, i expect they would,
    but as i said, others here know better. Hope i helped just a bit. Cheers.

P.S. Memory use for AV & FW mods combined for me right now is approx. 20M, CPU 00 :thumb:

21. Bubba1

Bubba1 Registered Member

Continuing to successfully fight the urge to leave well-enough-alone when things are running great .. I finally got the chance to try Rising, sort'a.

Downloaded the "trial version" from their site link to .. Download.com .. and, I installed it.

Up pops a screen telling me that it's a 31 day trial. Great. I notice that no update, that I can detect, is performed for new defs .. so I proceed to attempt update.

Immediately upon pressing the update button, I'm told that my trial has ended. Each successive update-button-press solicits the same trial ended message. I'm hard-headed. The software has -never- been installed on my machine prior.

Cruising the online FAQ .. I discover a message encouraging "2007" trial users to update to "2008" .. there's a link even. This link takes me to a page that looks reeeeeally similar to that earlier trial download page. Anyway, this time I select to download from Brothersoft (no, I don't have anything against Tucows) and .. hot dog! .. this file even has "2008" in it's title, while that used for my install didn't.

When I tried to "update" my installed version, the version with "2008" in it's title reported that the version I already had installed was newer .. did I want to update to the older version anyway? .. it asked.

Indeed, I didn't. I immediately uninstalled Rising (from Safe Mode) .. the trial ends-up being plenty long enough, after all.

22. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Why didn't you just download the free version? Always works for me.

23. gnervt

gnervt Registered Member

I did a quick scan with 4 antivirus programs against my malware collection (with maxed out settings). Nearly 45000 inactive samples - so its not meaningful about their full capabilities...

Avast! 4.8.1296 (free version) detects ~17139
    Avira 8.2.0.337 (free version) detects ~16700
    Rising 20.81.20 (free version) detects ~15000
    NOD32 4.0.68 (beta) detects ~11000 :cautious:

:blink:

(@anybody searching for Rising FREE - get it here: http://www.freerav.com)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.