Vista 64 bit Problems

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by caspian, Aug 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I just bought a new computer (HP pavilion w2408h vista 64 bit) and I cannot install Sandboxie, Returnil, or a vpn. I think XB2 has fixed this problem but I am using xb1. Torrentfreedom cannot be installed.

My question is will first defense ISR be a viable alternative to Returnil? I know with Sandboxie and Returnil nothing is saved to the hard drive. Will First Defense ISR do the same? Or does it just return installed programs to their original state? I want everything kept in a clean state....including junk accumulating on my hard drive.

Are there any other sandbox programs that will work with Vista 64 bit? Or should I just take this computer back? I am really disappointed.:mad:

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

on the offical sandboxie website they explain why you cannot install it on vista 64bit.
    its not needed as much on 64bit anyway.
    i surgest limited user account,dep for all processes.
    im sure there are other torrent programs that work on vista 64bit link
    not sure the torrent freedom website..
    never used first defence isr so cannot answer that question.
    cant you just upgrade to XB2? if it solves the problem.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  3. Arup

Arup Guest

You don't need HIPS as Patch Guard in x64 MS OS protects from hacking. That same feature prevents any use of 3rd party HIPS. If you want a real time HIPS scanner, turn on Spynet in Windows Defender which comes installed and you will have a fully compatible x64 HIPS.

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

The original version of FD-ISR could work in place of returnil if you use the frozen snapshot option. Unfortunately there nothing i know of thats like sandboxie that works on vista 64.
    Personally i use rollback rx on vista 64, it works similar to returnil but has more advanced features and options.

5. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

Due to lack of response, I say that you can use a privacy virtual machine to keep your system clean. This may not be the solution you're looking for, but it surely works.

6. caspian

Thanks for your suggestions.

7. caspian

Wow. Thanks for that. I will look into windows defender. I saw it but I haven't had a chance to check it out. Thanks!

8. caspian

XB Machine will definitely be a big help. And I have procrastinated in learning how to use it, so this is definitely my motivator. But I like collecting 3d animated gifs and art and stuff and the size of the virtual machine is not as appealing for art.

I also download videos and stuff. Is it possible to download a video or music with XB Machine and send it out to the desktop?

9. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

Sure. x64... I tell you what. I think we create more regression bugs than we solve...

Personally I like the idea of xB Machine, but i think the UI needs lots of work. I'll need to speak with Kyle about it more, as I don't really know unix UI. And I think kyle doesn't either!

10. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

@caspian
    how about downgrading to XP 32 bit?

11. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I just realised that comodo diskshield is vista 64 compatible. Although its still in beta its an alternative for returnil and its free!

12. caspian

I will check that one out. I definitely want to take a look at rollback rx....that you mentioned. Thanks

13. caspian

I thought about that. I am wondering if it might be an issue with the way the machine is built. I have very limited knowledge. But if I did downgrade, would XP 64 be a more powerful option for media and gaming etc?

14. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Loool:D :D There is already Anti-Patch-Guard patch hahaha you should never trust microsoft os. BTW it is very cheap to lock pid4 imho. Vista 64 can be subverted as well as all other os don´t think you are safe using vista it is absolute illusion.

15. Arup

Arup Guest

Combine LUA with a good AV and DEP full and you will be foolish to get infected on x64 OS.

16. Arup

Arup Guest

Although I have been running XPx64 since its inception from early beta stage and have not faced any compatibility issues whatsoever, I have limited gaming needs, I do audio editing from time to time as well as video editing but I would tilt in favor of Vista x64 for media and gaming.

17. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Unfortunately vista is no step forth it is a vicious circle of backs and forths.
    A devilish patchwork with a bad explorer.exe imo. Pid 4 and ntkernel lock games like some user rootkits but no real betterments. It is a systematic lock up without true security enforcement, in the end the lock ups will be a huge disadvantage for the malware fighter because the malware knows how to unlock but the average and even most of the pros might be unable to unlock essential system areas. If you really want to get more control and if you want to see what e.g. a virus changed take windows xp.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  18. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

IS this one publicly available, where?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.