What's up with AV-Comparatives

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by acr1965, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

Re: What's up with AV-Comparatives?

I've had mine 3 & while I always look around & test others I'm still back to ESET. It's just a test, next time it maybe better & rememeber no AV is perfect you could get brand X on tonight that has 98% detection & still get hit, nothing is perfect...I'm still a believer of layers, I run a antisypware program with it, I feel ok with it...

2. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

I agree with you bro..

but one thing I must say I rather have Less of a chance of getting hit. and make that window as small as possible.:)

3. fce

fce Registered Member

my KIS subscription will expire this week...and this kind of comparative really great help for choosing excellent AV.

i want to replace mine by avira suite, but Kaspersky firewall is far more good compare to Aviras' firewall. (IMO)

4. entropism

entropism Registered Member

I replaced KIS with Avira and Rising's free firewall last year, and I'd never go back. Well, I tried KIS 2009 when it came out, as my license is good until 2011, but I quickly went back to Avira/Rising.

Frankly, your router is doing all of the firewall work, not your software. You just need something small and simple to block outgoing (if that's indeed important to you) and ANY free, reputable firewall can handle that.

5. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

I use the Suite my self along with a few of my other computers in the house. I just disable the firewall at the install and choose from one of the many out there that do what I need. :cool:

6. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

than I'd disconnect the internet :) than I have 100 % of NOT getting infected. As I always say these are static tests that are being run & if you were being hit with them all everytime you went on I'd agree on chging, as it is in all the years I have been on the net I have been hit 2, once F-Secure found were trend missed a trojan & the black friday I was running Norton when it stopped an incoming trojan, otherwise I have been extremely lucky, my wife had vundo on hers but Superantispyware removed it and Nod cleaned up the trash it pulled with it...my wife is asking for Norton now tho...

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

AVIRA leading as usual. Very impressive score by avast!. Some more false positives, though i haven't got a single one for more than 6 months. I think it's still a great choice as free antivirus.

8. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

The free version of Avira has no email guard and antispyware is not as good as the paid one too. I think AV-compartives tested the now called Premium, and that's another story than the free one, in some important aspects.

9. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

It's the same ENGINE as the free. the free version does not include the spyware engine. what the problem there is what avira considers spyware and what they don't.

Tho I don't know for sure but I don't see any spot in Comparative that shows spyware. so it maybe just malware they are detecting.

10. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I've decided to try out both Avira and Kaspersky for a bit more and see which AV runs better on my computer. I know Avira scored better in this test, but I recently downloaded some anti-keyloggers to try, and one was a trojan - only Kaspersky detected it at VirusTotal. No AV is 100%.

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Norton, hands down. Hated them for so long, but they have done what is needed to wipe the face of the others in bu@@s@@@.

12. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

They're bringing their "A" game. Good for them as they have shown improvement in other tests as well.

13. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

GO NORTON!

Fastest scanning speed!

IN YO FACE doktornotor

14. Halo326

Halo326 Registered Member

Thanks coolio..............couldn't have said it better myself. I am amazed at how well Norton did. Makes me glad I dumped NOD32 awhile back for Avira. But now all I use is NIS 2009 and thats where I am staying permanently. I am going to buy it when my 15 days are up and you can install it on 2 other pc's. Guess some people are going to get early Christmas presents.

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

whats so funny is, the AV basically has an internal firewall. So for the most part it is a suite.

Hats off to Avira, geez Stefan, FPs were suppose to be a thing of the past.
    Avast, still not sold but looking good.
    Eset, no fret, they just got a dose of reality today and pissed off at the same time. A win-win situation. They are going to be back at a kick ass pace. Marcos, good post today.;)

Kaspersky, what can you say, they are heading right on up.
    F-Secure- you suck. I still love ya though.

Oh, one last fleating thought the 2 AV vendors who USE to participate, now I honestly see why you dont. At least VBA stays in there fighting and I personally hope that one day they kick all of your asses that do join in to participate.

16. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Have you found a home with Norton, trjam? If not, no worries. I haven't ruled out Norton myself and have tried most of the AVs at one point or another. :)

On edit, some general comments:

Avira - great job; now just try making those heuristics more accurate
    Avast, AVG - nice to see these AVs that offer free versions keeping up
    Kaspersky - still trust you even though you fell down in the ranks
    Norton - you are now a contender!
    Eset - maybe this will provide motivation
    McAfee - they better hope Artemis makes a difference.

17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Err, please dont buy it based on anything I said. But yes.;)

18. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Just wanted to point out did you know the price of there software is almost the same as there detention percentage ?

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Nah, I still know how to get it for rupees, and that makes it beter. You have to look real hard but 15 bucks isnt bad. Just hate it though based on their trojan detection. About the same as Mcafee.

20. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Re: AV Comparatives August 2008! On Demand

Avira keeps rocking and My god Sophos with 117 false positive.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  21. Arup

Arup Guest

Avira as usual good show.........Avast I expected and good to see Norton getting serious.

22. splicer707

splicer707 Registered Member

o_O

Tried Avira. Sure it may have really good detection, but how many here get loads of FP's. I did. Safe sites supposedly speading some sort of generic trojan. Rubbish. Then a couple of my xvid coded files, scanned with Dr Web, Kaspersky, AVG and ESET. All good. Scanned with Avira - Oh it has a trojan. I repeat. Rubbish. Then there is the webshield that Avira has, I click on a file for download. AFAIK nothing is happening, then suddenly my download comes down at supersonic speeds. Uh huh. Well written software that. :thumbd:

You guys know what? I'm no expert. No guru crown here.
    But I can tell you one thing. Since I've had NOD32 installed I have seen 0 FP's. And 0 infections. I scan my PC with CureIt!, Kaspersky's online scanner, SAS and Malwarebytes' Antimalware; just to verify that NOD32 is working well. 0 viruses, no trojans or any other bad'ies.

So from an end user with no huge technical knowledge, I can say that NOD32 is a winner in my books.

23. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

No bashing. we don't need the thread closed because people feel like bashing on one and others AV's

On the other note I use avira on a few computers here at the house and I must say I have ran into 1 FP in the number of months I have been using it. I'm also a very heavy Torrent fan. so I constantly have files coming in and out. I'm also on the web and connected to corp networks Thur out the day from my main system so far here 1 FP and it was because of the way it was compiled as it has a backdoor in the program.

24. Arup

Arup Guest

I have all settings on high in Avira, so do others here at the forum as reported and yet I hardly get any FPs with one or two occasional one from browser cache. Tell you what, would rather be anal and get FPs than get infected. Never have I seen loads of FP with Avira on the myriads of PCs I have installed it in. Its convenient to put down a genuinely good product with a sweeping remark. If Eset works for you, thats fine, stick with it but don't put down a product that has genuinely and consistently outscored others in every tests thrown at it. Its an insult on the developers who work hard to keep their product top notch. Whats more.......Avira offers its world class detection for free to those who can't buy it and it uses the same signature and detection engine as their premium paid one. I don't see Eset offering anything like that.

25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Avira has come a long way and sits at the top now with the best... Avast is now also making similarly impressive progress and is looking better all the time. 2 great AVs offering free as well as paid, how can anyone complain?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.