All traffic blocked when in Interactive Mode?!?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Thitar, May 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thitar

Thitar Registered Member

Hi guys,

I have a small problem with my ESS v3.0.657.0.
    Whenever I put the firewall in interactive mode, all traffic is blocked and i don't have any pop-up window showing up... The application are not shown in the rules window and the blocked connections are not logged...
    I run Win XP SP3. In the advanced configuration, all the services are allowed and everything is logged.

Any idea?

BTW: everything works fine in Automatic Mode. I'm just a control freak and prefer the interactive mode :p .

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello!

I suspect there is some mistake in your configuration which causes this . Let's reinstall ESS and revert the settings to their default ones.

1. Download fresh new version of ESET Smart Security from
    http://www.eset.com/download . Make sure that you choose the correct version.

2. Uninstall your current version from Control Panel
    3. Reboot the computer when prompted
    4. Delete manually these folders:

- C:\Program files\ESET
    - C:\Documents and Settings\All users\Application data\Eset
    - C:\Documents and Settings\~username~\Local Settings\Application data\Eset

5. Reinstall your ESET software using the file you downloaded in step1 . Use typical install.

Now , open the Advanced Setup Tree of ESS and switch to "Interactive Mode" . Hope that helps!

3. Thitar

Thitar Registered Member

Thanks for your help, but it's still the same :(

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Is it a clean system without many programs installed that might potentially somehow affect the graphics? A log from ESET SysInspector might shed more light, please send it to support[at]eset.com with this thread's url enclosed.

5. Thitar

Thitar Registered Member

I re-did the install for the 5-6 time but this time i added another step:
    4b. Get rid of the 'ESET' keys in the registry.

And that did the trick.
    So i guess there was some sort of misconfiguration somewhere.
    Thanks for your help guys ;) :thumb:

6. godsavethequeen

godsavethequeen Registered Member

I'm having this exact problem on my machine and I had 645 so I uninstalled and deleted the 3 folders along with registry entries and installed 650 (didn't touch 657 because apparent performance problems)

and it still blocks all internet

7. Marcos

Does this problem occur with default settings? (you can revert to default settings by clicking the Default button and selecting all settings)

8. godsavethequeen

godsavethequeen Registered Member

6/1/2008 7:34:26 AM Detected DNS cache poisoning attack 192.168.1.1:53 192.168.1.47:1123 UDP (only happened once, i don't think its important but i'm just including it in case it was)

i left out a bunch of others that look like the following three. i notice the port number keeps going up.

6/1/2008 1:37:11 PM Communication denied by rule 127.0.0.1:2154 127.0.0.1:30606 TCP in C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\ekrn.exe NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

6/1/2008 1:37:12 PM Communication denied by rule 127.0.0.1:2155 127.0.0.1:30606 TCP in C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\ekrn.exe NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

6/1/2008 1:37:13 PM Communication denied by rule 127.0.0.1:2156 127.0.0.1:30606 TCP in C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\ekrn.exe NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

besides the following 3 i now see 1 of these accomponied every time, and like the other the port number just keeps going up with each failed attempt

6/1/2008 1:53:34 PM Communication allowed by rule 0.0.0.0:2322 64.233.169.99:80 TCP firefox C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe GSTQ\gstq

6/1/2008 1:53:36 PM Communication allowed by rule 0.0.0.0:2324 64.233.169.103:80 TCP firefox C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe GSTQ\gstq

and the thing that is annoying about this is that sometimes it will let traffic in, other times i will see a

9. shansmi

shansmi Registered Member

does IE7 work? A few times I have this problem where the browser just gets hung waiting on something. Kill it via windows and it works fine after that. Strange, I only use interactive mode and have never had all traffic blocked...

try anothe application like file sharing, telnet or ftp... they blocked as well?

10. gsoel

gsoel Registered Member

This solved the problem to me.
    Thanx :)

11. BAW30s

BAW30s Registered Member

Yes, thanks from me too. :D

Changing all the settings back to default restored my access to the internet. I then changed back to Advanced mode and Interactive firewall and the notifications started for the first time. I was then able to unblock Internet Explorer and Outlook Express manually.

Wondering what the problem had been, I started to restore the original settings in advanced setup. I began by disabling email integration, right at the bottom. At one point, I was able to recreate the fault and then repair it again. I think it was due to the special settings box in email integration being checked (and grayed out) while the other two boxes were unchecked. The default position is that the special settings box is clear while the other two boxes are checked. If either of the two boxes are checked, the special settings box is accessible. It must not be left checked if email integration is deselected.

I don't really want any email scanning, but it does not seem possible to disable email protection entirely without the system tray icon going orange to indicate an error state.

Anyway, this shows how easy it is to disable internet access by making a single seemingly innocuous setting change!

12. Marcos

Disabling email protection should not have any effect on the connectivity.

13. BAW30s

BAW30s Registered Member

No, it wasn't disabling email protection that did it, but disabling email client integration, right at the bottom of the settings tree (it puts an extra toolbar into Outlook/Outlook Express), while leaving the Special settings box, Disable checking upon inbox content change checked. I experimented later and reproduced the condition.

I must say that I'm not at all keen on the Nod32 firewall; it's been much more problematic than others I've used. I have managed to reduce its slowing effect on internet access by going to the Zone and Rule Setup, selecting Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, and creating a rule for each to allow full access in both directions (is that ok?), going beyond the simple allowing access in the interactive mode prompt box. Even so, web site site access and e-mail downloads are swifter and more certain when the firewall is switched off, as it is most of the time now (I have a router, so there is a hardware firewall).

I wish I had installed Nod32 anti-virus and a different firewall rather than Eset Smart Security. :(

14. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

I've had this same problem, but reading the above post and I was able to fix the issue but choosing reverting all the defaults then switch from auto to interact mode and sure enough the pop-up started up. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.