Katie DriveSentry

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by DriveSentry, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubba1

Bubba1 Registered Member

Bet you're right. I've had WinPat so long I forget it's there. It being the "only" remaining resident other than DS and firewall. It allows for retarding the start-up times for some programs. I'll see if DS minds being delayed by some number of seconds .. and if that impacts getting this second screen.

Thanks .. didn't know that (or forgot - a great deal of information in this post).

Using XP SP2 here. Have you had any problems with DS not starting normally/tray icon missing?

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i got 1 question, why are u still using SP2, why not get SP3?

3. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

None at all.

Memory usage still seems to be very erratic though. Have left the PC running for about 1.5 days. Saw memory usage climb to over 80KB. Only to have it drop back to just over 30KB without any intervention what so ever.

4. Bubba1

Bubba1 Registered Member

Made a decision to not update. I don't require what it reports to add.

5. trio

trio Registered Member

First time here so hello to all u gurus!

Ive just got a new laptop from PC World here in the UK and it came with DriveSentry preloaded seems a really cool app.The guy in store said it's preloaded onto 2m PCs. Can anyone recommend a good Internet firewall that I can run with DriveSentry. I've uninstalled Norton 360 from the laptop as I'm not paying £39 for a years license!

Thanks, Trio!

6. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

@ Trio

The FW totally depends on your usage of the lap top. On the tower I have DS installed I run only the Windows FW with zero exceptions. It is connected via wireless (WPA enabled) to a LAN and sets behind a NAT router. File and print sharing is turned off. Also did a tweak where it does not show up at all within the LAN on any of the other PCs.
    The answer to your question really depends on how much control you want, inbound(?), outbound(?), both(?). As well as the environment(s) it is used in.

Just a suggestion. If this post is going to continue on and become focused on FWs, it may get moved to a more appropriate forum where it will receive more attention. Rest assured if it is moved that it will continue if you chose to do so.

7. Bubba1

Bubba1 Registered Member

Well, I miss being a "guru" by at least a few light-years .. but, welcome aboard and congrats on the new machine.

I'm using Online Armor with DS .. and, they work well together.

Recently, I was doing an Outpost Pro 2009 trial .. and, they didn't. I had some problems controlling Outpost here .. maybe other, more knowledgeable, users wouldn't.

From some of the other posts here, I believe folks are happy using Comodo's FW with DS.

Good luck!

8. trio

trio Registered Member

I thought I would give it a few days for OA and DS to become friends but all is looking good :D

thanks for the advice!

9. firzen771

Any new versions of DS releaser since that little beta patch, or anything ACTUALLY being released soon? Still waiting for that update before i use DS again

10. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Good question.
    Been very quiet at DS lately.

11. DriveSentry

DriveSentry Registered Member

Hi everyone, just a quick update to let you know we should have a new release soon which includes Window Security Centre. We are just waiting for a response from Microsoft regarding a couple of issues. The next release will also include some memory tweaks.

As always I will let you know when it’s available.

Kind Regards,

Kate

12. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Thanks Katie.
    Looking forward to it. :)

13. trio

trio Registered Member

Hey Kate!

I can't wait for the new build sounds great. I tried DS on Windows 7 (beta) last night and it worked awesome!!!! Do you plan to make the DS infobar into a "true" vista/windows 7 widget??

14. moonriver

moonriver Registered Member

Howdy Kate,

didn't you mention rootkit protection as an addition in the January release?

15. firzen771

thats actually a brilliant idea, its already basically a widget, why not make it compatible into the Vista sidebar with all your other widgets? shouldnt be too hard.

16. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Will DriveSenty install on an XP Pro system without Service Packs 1, 2 or 3? I have my reasons: killing off most of Win XP's processes is ipso facto a canonical LUA, and if I don't like a process, such as the idiotic, unnecessary alg.exe, it's removed as though it were a rat trying to eat MY Rice Crispies. Of the 18 processes running, only four belong to XP Pro, and THAT's TOO MANY!

Thanks,
    Dave

17. Warklen

Warklen Registered Member

I like DS but right now as i type this it's hogging up 105,908k..That's pretty crazy..since it was at 14k at start up..Anyways hope they gets it fixed...Its a nice add on to my security.:D

18. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

IU'm just wondering when they'll ever get this app out in full force. Sort of reminiscence of PCtools ThreatFire, they seem stalled in menacing code structuring that just keeps delaying,and delaying, etc.

Dunno about the rest but i long since been ready to see a full blown, all is well, fully established & functional production product for a change.

EASTER

19. firzen771

i agree, been waiting for that final release that doesn't have tiny little bugs everywhere.

20. Warklen

I let DS run overnight when i woke up it was at 115k. So ya i'll be taking it off my start up for now. When all is well i will be reinstalling..Thats some crazy memory leakage going on lol

21. firzen771

the reason ur having this is cuz ur not using the little beta patch katie posted, search earlier in this thread to find it, it fixes the memory issues.

22. Warklen

Thank you very much!! I must of missed that post..

23. rainbow1112

rainbow1112 Registered Member

I notice the database of DriveSentry is very big Data.Dat is 156mb Index.dat is 117mb no other AV Company have a database that is so big...

24. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

to be honest,its poor compression method :)

25. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

That doesn't bother me as much as the fact that it keeps a full database in each profile when using multiple accounts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.