F-Secure Internet Security 2009 beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Ade 1, May 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Hi.

Noticed that F-Secure have released the beta of their 2009 IS available here http://support.f-secure.com/beta/istp/is2009beta.shtml

Benefits for participants:
    An early preview of the upcoming features of F-Secure Internet Security 2009 and the ability to provide feedback on how to improve the features.
    Power of influence: you will be part of making the best-of-breed security solutions.
    We will have regular prize draws among testers who have provided us with the best feedback. The prizes include free twelve-month F-Secure Internet Security licenses and Apple's iPods.

Supported operating systems:
    Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit: Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Ultimate, Enterprise, Business editions
    Windows XP: Home, Professional and Media Center editions
    Windows 2000 Professional SP4 or newer

New features:
    Core technology improvements, such as:
    Improved malware and spyware detection and removal
    Fast and carefree Scan Core maintainability
    DeepGuard 2.0: DeepGuard can now make a query over the network as part of the proactive protection
    Sidebar gadget showing protection status
    64-bit Vista support for Parental Control, Spam Control and Email Scanning
    Optimized, easier and improved Parental Control
    Install-time Performance Control for systems with less resources
    Improved Firewall which is easier to use
    Improved 3rd party interoperability in Parental Control and Web Traffic Scanning
    Easier installation
    Progress bar during malware scanning

I've been using FS IS2008 for sometime now (Vista 32-bit PC) and am v happy with it. Some have complained in the past that it slows their PC down but I've not noticed that.

Anyway, thought I'd post this if anyone wanted to give it a go and feedback.

I'm going to try on my laptop (XP 32-bit) first and see how it goes but the technology preview of this has been out for sometime already. I think they usually release final versions early September if my memory serves me correctly.

2. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Any screenshots?

3. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Was just about to install on my laptop and the battery died! Left my power supply at work too so won't install until Tuesday but I tried out the one of the previous builds sometime ago and in terms of the gui, FS don't seem to change it much from one version to the next but I remember that there were some additional options. I think the key changes are behind the scenes.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

will post some screenshots later.
    just signed up.
    88.4mb installer file

5. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Thanks. From the few comments on their forums, ppl seem pretty happy with this. FS IS2008 had a 81mb installer file. I installed the parental control module accidentally (which I was able to uninstall separately) and noticed that the PC folder was v big - something like 350mb! Seemed that was taken up mostly by the dbase of websites but the remaining installation, for IS2008 anyway, is about 250mb. Not sure why it's so big but I remember reading somewhere it was to do with the amount of apps contained in the deepguard dbase. Not sure if that's correct though.

Anyway, look forward to hearing your experience with it.

6. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I like the ability to chg the firewall setting from home to mobile , it allows more strict rules when in public as opposed to in a home secure wireless setting. Seems to run slightly lighter than 08 & I have that version. It looks not much different than 08 except the internals,I'm going to run a scan, see time wise how it does, I like the blacklight technology...

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    it says the virus definications are very old and i should update. if i ccheck for updates it says last checked at the current time and was successful but it wasnt. if i check the advanced settings there is a package which isnt installed. automatic updates shows a yellow exclamation mark.
    im gonna try unloading it and reloading it.
    i dont remember reading anything about updates failing in the release notes.

the interface looks the same as the old versions as does the settings.
    i have always liked the f-secure main interface and the tray icon.

f-secure may be a heavy program but its completely set and forget and will protect you well.

as this time i wouldnt reccomend runnin this beta version since the update fails. so you wont be protected.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  8. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Too heavy on my machines compared to Avira, Nod32, F-Protect, and Dr. Web. Unless you like heavy programs, I would avoid.

9. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Have you tried this beta version? Seems to be that some ppl think it's too heavy where others have no problems. I've been running FS IS2008 for sometime now and it runs fine for me.

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

F-Secure 2008 - my #1 for suites, runs super fast.

very.sightly delayed bootup, but this does not fault the speed of my machine and browsing when its loaded.

ive loaded it on both my brothers machines, and im even using it myself for the time being too.

11. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

I'm not sure why they're saying old. Did you try a reboot afterwards and then check again?

Regarding the uninstalled update, I seem to remember reading on the f-secure site/release notes that there maybe some updates that don't install as they're not for this version but they should disappear after about a week from the update log.

Let me know how you get on re. updating. Also, I've registered today and the key I received expires 10/8/2008 whereas yours seems a few weeks before. Strange!

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i didnt try rebooting. now that ive submitted the bugs to f-secure i may try again in a few days/weeks

13. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

It's become my favourite suite after trying many others even though some ppl feel it's too heavy I feel well protected with it.

F-Secure Client Security is also installed on our network at work and runs fine on all the PCs there.

Boot time for me on my home PC (Vista 32 bit) has not decreased at all. In fact, the FS splash screen appears as soon as my desktop does along with the FS icon. They also seem to release very regular updates too.

So I'm looking forward to the new 2009 version when it's released. I'll install this beta on my laptop on Tues when I get to work and see how it fares.

14. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up.

Time to change GUI, imho.

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

what do you think is wrong with the current gui?
    i wouldnt mind if they kept the current gui and removed all engines except AVP with extended databases and the f-secure ownmade engines along with deep guard 2.0 it would be lighter that way.

16. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

mine updated to current in minutes & was upto date, perhaps you needed to run a registry cleaner before install. It has a slightly slower (20 seconds maybe) than the 2008 version on boot but it's early...scan on 35 gigs was a little over 30 minutes...

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i dont run registry cleaners and i ran kavremover9 to uninstall kis7 rebooted then installed the beta. the older f-secure istp beta updated fine on this machine.

18. Macstorm

Hi Lodore,
    I find it somewhat 'boring' for my tastes. I thought indeed v.2008 would bring a change but i was wrong :doubt:
    Yea, i know it's a nonsense, it's just me.

19. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i think they will keep the same look for many years, and improve and develop around that.

it seems to work for them.

20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

precisely why change a perfectly good gui?

21. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Herd intelligence?

22. Macstorm

Hi Chris. These are the key words.

23. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Herd intelligence is an oxymoron.

24. lodore

lodore Registered Member

indeed but my favourite oyxymoron is "Microsoft works"
    to keep things on topic f-secure seem to be adding quite alot of detections to its hydra engine if you check the updates in the f-secure forum.

25. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

The folks at Prevx don't share your thoughts :shifty:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.