Kaspersky v.8 (2009) Official Technical Release is out

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Macstorm, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

Lol

My bad.

edit: Found the components needed, added to whitelisting sticky.

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hey Baz,
    creative audio service
    link

normaly i would add it to the list myself.
    btw the link is to the vista 32bit drivers but i assume kis.kav2009 would add the creative audio service from the xp drivers in low restricted as well.

Attached Files:

3. jaydub

jaydub Registered Member

Logitech QuickCam software suite v8.4.6 all appearing in low restricted. I would have expected this to be trusted.

I've got one other entry in there, but that's somebody's home grown router stats monitoring application, so no surprises there.

4. Baz_kasp

FYI there was a dodgy test update to the emulator so you may have got a few Heur.Trojan.Generic detections on safe files...it was/is being corrected and shouldn't be a problem for release version.

5. jaydub

jaydub Registered Member

71 Heur.Trojan.Generic FPs this morning. :mad:

6. Baz_kasp

Well KIS 2009 hasn't been released yet and it was the only product affected.... so it isn't really a problem. Anthing deleted can be recovered from the backup.

7. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

yea not good, I like Kaspersky but the FP do exist & here's the rub with me. Kaspersky for me is fine I feel I can tell the differnce. For Joe Avg User he sees a detection he deletes a good file. On my machine KISS sees an exe file for my baseball game as a generic trojan. If I was Joe AVG User I delete it & than I fuss at the game company because my game just stopped working for no reason. FP's for folks here don't over all matter but you have to see the whole picture most folks buy security software & trust it & believe it. They don't question the detection...just my 2 cents...

8. harlan4096

harlan4096 Registered Member

This has been a temporal problem with the heurístic engine, the problem has been fixed yet, just update.

Regards.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello larryb52,
    you have got to remember that since its not properly been lanched yet so it can still have bugs. once its officaly on the KL homepage these sort of issues shouldnt happern.

10. larryb52

this has happened in v7 & v6... FP's still exist...

11. Baz_kasp

In this case it was localised to v2009 only... no other products were affected. And since it is not released only people who know it is unreleased software are actually using it.

Small FP's will still happen now and then but nothing like this where 60-70 "clean" files are flagged on random installs Larry :)

BTW, there has just been a new update released for testing that fixes a number of known issues with .357....it should cover most of the major bugs people were noting.

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  12. jaydub

jaydub Registered Member

Just done another scan and the number of FPs has dropped from 71 down to 0.

A much happier man now. :D

13. larryb52

works for me...I'm waiting to RC...

14. colt45allstar

colt45allstar Registered Member

I've been using Kaspersky since the last month or two of the 4.0 line. Used antivirus only (along with Zone Alarm Pro for a firewall) until a few months into the 6.0 line and have been using the Suite since then.

I've had minimal problems with false positives over all that time, which is especially impressive given the update frequency and the increased chances for false positives to appear. Furthermore the releases just keep getting better and better. 5.0 was quite good... 6.0 was even better.. 7.0 was outstanding which brings me to the following:

I posted positive initial assessments on May the 6th of the 8.0 (2009) technical release on the day I downloaded it.

As I approach the two week mark with this installed, nothing's changed. This in my humble opinion is simply the single greatest internet security suite ever made.

It's light as a feather, so light in fact that with settings maxed out... browsing still feels like there's nothing installed at all. It's 'that' quick.

In addition to being light, it's also secure as a fortress.

Kaspersky Labs *really* did their homework with this one and I applaud them for it.

edit: just read about the little test emulator issue.

I'm personally not too worried, it's said to have been fixed and I would still put Kaspersky's reputation up against anyone's.

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  15. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

low restricted that shouldn't be:

Adobe Photoshop CS3

Diskeeper.msc (diskeeper defragmenter) (version 12.0.758 )

Helicon Filter (adobe's plugin) (version 4.86.1.0)

Locate.exe (search tool) (3.1 beta build 8.2240a)

ezcddax.exe (easy cd-da extractor) (version 11.5.2.3)

Spanel & ssmmgr.exe (Samsung's printer smart panel) (v. 1.2.0.0 & 2.5.7.0)

ace.exe (Acereader's exacutable) (version 5.0.1.5)

16. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter Registered Member

I beg to differ.. I run Chkdsk regularly..

Who exactly has confirmed that these issues are no longer there?

Thanks
    Jim

17. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

You cant confirm that; seeing as so few people actually had the issue, even when the problem was there, you can have 10 people saying they didn't have a problem, but one may still have it... Innocent until proven guilty sort of thing.

18. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

was this update a new version or was it added through the regular updates? thanks

19. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

After having to format my machine before the KIS7 chkdsk slowdown, I dont even intend to confirm. Kaspkersky is a POS and 8 has gotten worse with all sorts of strangness, random files getting put into low restricted etc. I have moved that machine to NIS08 and couldn't be happier.

20. Baz_kasp

Oh here we go, the Kaspersky bashing starts :rolleyes:

Can we at least keep the dialog grown up without the references to poo etc?

If a file isn't in the database where else do you want it to go.... Trusted?

Any file that is not recognised gets put into a lower privileged state (Lo restricted) so it can be controlled more effectively. If you wanted to trust it all it takes is to drag it into the corresponding group and click OK.

21. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

wow sorry to hear. the only issues i have are on a old celeron 2.26 it runs very slow, but then most do on that system for some reason, not sure why..

22. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

not even this is required, it can run just great in low restricted, you can add it to trusted if it does somthing which would actually consider higher privilegies.
    I think that post is jsut the usual resident norton fanboy rant.

23. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

For me, as I am getting familiarized with the new suite, the odd thing seems the inclination of proactive defense in favour of applications' filtering.

I mean there are some applications considered as trusted (and they are trusted) but for example I don't want to give them startup privileges. With the new suite I have to change this manually - with KIS v.7 I was always asked if I accept the change in startup folders.

So far I believe that it should be better to control the startup shield with proactive defense, as I don't want all trusted applications to have access to my startup folders. You see v.7 was additionally like a startup manager for me.

24. Baz_kasp

What you can do in that case is change the rule for the "Trusted" group access to startup settings from "Allow" to "Prompt for action"...

1.JPG

That way, any object in the trusted group will have to ask your permisson for access to startup and from the popup you will be able to choose the action you want to apply to the specific program (e.g. for this time only, or always) block/allow.

2.JPG

(I'm not sure if this is what you were after...?)
    The general idea was to minimise popups for novice users, with more advanced users being able to tweak their rules settings to their liking, but in most cases it works just fine out of the box :)

25. Baz_kasp

Are you referring to the update I said that was available for testing?

If so, then there is currently a hotfix (a) being trialled for build .357, of which you can find more details here:

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=69193

(basically you need to change your update sources if you want to trial the fix)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.