Recovery boot CD won't work

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by paroots, Apr 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paroots

paroots Registered Member

I've not been able to boot from my TI V11 (8053) Recovery CD on my newly purchased Dell Inspiron 1526 laptop. It does go through several screens, but hangs at "loading, please wait..." I suspect, after reading several threads, that it's a Linux driver incompatibility issue. I would like to receive some advice on how best to proceed with this computer. Thanks.

2. paroots

As an update, I just created a Safe version of my Recovery CD. When I boot from it, I can get into the menu screen and it sees the partition where the image is stored. I was able to do a successful validation, but when I attempted to recover from this image, it hung at the step where I choose the target partition to restore to. By hang I mean neither the touchpad nor keyboard would work and the options were grayed out. Suggestions please??

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

You have 3 options.

1) Contact Tech Support -- you will have to gather sys info by a process they will describe and then they'll send you an iso to burn to CD to make a bootcd that might work. If it doesn't, you gather more info and they send yo another, etc.

2) make a BartPE disk to boot with

3) make a VistaPE disk to boot with.

4. paroots

Thanks shieber. I contacted Tech Support several days ago and prefer not to keep waiting if there's something useful I can do in the meantime. Relative to the other two options you list which is easier? I am running Vista now, but if necessary I have an XP image I can reload. I also have both a standalone Vista and XP CD if needed. I see that Acronis has a downloadable BartPE plug-in. Does that suggest that the BartPE might be easier? I'm guessing that the difference between the two is whether it's XP or Vista based. Thanks again.

5. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

I have found the BartPE with the Acronis plug-in for it, far easier to make and it will work with a Vista system. When you boot with it, it doesn't care what OS is on the hard drive. You can even make an Image of a Linux system with it.

6. paroots

Thanks. Can you direct me to a recommended link to make the BartPE? I see the one offered by mustang, but not sure if that is the easist route. Also, should I be running XP while making it? What other prerequisites might I need on hand before starting?

7. DwnNdrty

There was a very concise set of instructions provided by another user over a year ago - I forgot his handle, but it goes something like this:

1. You need an XP install CD with Sp2.
    2. Download and install BartPE Builder.
    3. Rename the plug-in to TrueImage and copy it to the PE Builder plug-in folder.
    4. Run PE Builder & burn to CD.
    5. When you boot with the CD, True Image will be at Go>System>Storage.

It's been a long while since I made mine. I forgot where the XP cd comes into play, but the BartPE Builder page should say.

If you follow those steps, let us know how it turns out.

8. paroots

Thanks a bunch DwnNdrty. I managed to get it done! Here is the procedure I ended up with:
    a. Install Acronis True Image 11 (if not already installed)
    b. Download and install Acronis BartPE plug-in (from Acronis Registered Products page)
    c. Download and install BartPE Builder software to C:\Program Files\pebuilder3110a
    Ref: http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
    d: Copy contents of C:\Program Files\Acronis\BartPE\BartPE to a temporary folder and rename it TIxp
    Note: the TIxp folder should now contain acronis.htm, acronis.inf, acronis_nu2menu.xml, and a Files folder
    e. Copy the TIxp folder into C:\Program Files\pebuilder3110a\plugin
    f. Insert Windows XP Pro with SP1 (or SP2) into CD drive
    g. Run PEBuilder (as administrator) and enter the following information:
    1. Source = D:\ (or wherever CD drive is located)
    2. Click 'Plugins' and verify Acronis True Image shown with 'yes'
    3. Check 'Create ISO image' at c:\Program Files\pebuilder3110a\pebuilder.iso
    4. Click 'Build'
    h. Start Nero 7 Ultra and burn image created (pebuilder.iso) to blank CD-R
    i. Boot computer and select Go/System/Storage/Acronis True Image

This is what the PEBuilder screen looked like just before I clicked 'Build':

As you can see, there is an option to burn to CD/DVD directly which I did not try since I trust Nero.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  9. DwnNdrty

Nice work .. so did you actually boot with it and got to the True Image menu? And I see you were able to use XP Sp1 ... somewhere I think I read that you had to have Sp2.

10. paroots

Yes, everything worked like a charm. After testing restore I followed up with a new backup and then restore from the same image just created.

I read on the PEBuild site that SP1 was sufficient although like you I read on the forum that you need SP2. In fact, here are the requirements copied from the PEBuild site at http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/:

Requirements to build:
    1. The files from your Windows Installation CD-Rom.
    Supported Windows versions are:
    - Windows XP Home Edition (must be slip streamed with Service Pack 1 or higher)
    - Windows XP Professional (must be slip streamed with Service Pack 1 or higher)
    - Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
    - Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
    - Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
    2. PE Builder runs on Windows 2000/XP/2003/BartPE systems.
    3. CD/DVD writer if you want to creat a bootable CD/DVD.

----------------------

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  11. DwnNdrty

Beautiful ... I love it when a plan comes together. :thumb:

12. person2006

person2006 Registered Member

i followed paroots directions. worked perfect for me also. i made an image backup of vista using this bartpe xpsp2 disc. i have to load sata drivers though when i use this disc at boot. thanks for step by step!!!

13. paroots

I cleaned up the instructions (see above) a bit. For example, PEBuilder must be run as administrator and also my filling in the Custom line was unnecessary. Also, I recommend going into the Plugins section to verify 'Acronis True Image' is listed.

14. paroots

I've uncovered an unexpected problem with my BartPE recovery CD. Once I boot with it and start Acronis True Image, I cannot remove the CD to insert my Acronis image backup. If I do so, True Image hangs. This was never a problem with the standard Acronis recovery CD. I'm assuming that this means the program is not totally memory resident. One idea might be to put the BartPE and the image backup on the same CD/DVD, but that isn't practical in my case since my image backup spans more than one DVD.

Ideas or suggestions much appreciated

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.