CA Antivirus 2008

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by duke1959, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

After reading the latest Virus Bulletin Tests and seeing many AV's fail. I began wondering why no one in Wilders uses or talks about CA Antivirus which passed? Is it because it doesn't compete in the AV Comparatives or some other reason? Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  2. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

AVC has tested CA in the past. You should be able to pull up several discussions regarding CA and how lackluster the detection and removal rates are. Here's a couple....

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=198096&highlight=computer associates
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=175408&highlight=computer associates

IMO passing VB100% doesn't mean that a particular AV has respectable detection/removal capabilities outside of the (ITW) test set. In addition simply because a quality AV (Kaspersky, Dr. Web, etc.) may fail the VB100% doesn't mean that they should be avoided, or that another AV that passed is superior.

In any event I would never recommend CA to anyone since there are better alternatives.

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Scroll down the front page of AVC and you will see a link-

Single Product Test: CA Antivirus 2007 March 2007

I think there is a large number of people who have trouble uninstalling CA products, or just general problems runnning the CA software. That contributes to some bad feelings toward the company as a whole.

I know CA took over Tiny Firewall a couple years ago and pretty much froze out all the licensed users until their subscriptions dried up. During that time CA offered zero assistance to users and even abandoned the TPF web site forum. Now they are using the firewall in their recent suite.

And I guess you could just google up the search terms "Computer Associates" and "prison" to get more info on some of the internal workings of that company.

4. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

:D

After being a former macaddict, I remember back in 1999 when CA was my first av (EZ-Trust free, then e-Trust) thinking it was the best av in the universe :rolleyes: Then, viruses appeared on my 'new' windows pc coexisting happily with e-trust... :ouch:

Well, so much water's gone over the bridge since then..

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yep, CA :thumbd:

6. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Probably for the same reason why hardly anyone uses Pest patrol (or the current AS 2008 ). :D

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I ran CA Anti-Virus 2008

Infected : 0
    Quarantined : 0
    Cleaned : 0
    False Positives : 0

Next one please :)

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Run Virus total then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.