Black screen after installing Vista SP1 and logging in

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by adza, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adza

adza Registered Member

Hi,

I thought this might be of interest to a few people here (and may help some).

After installing SP1 on Vista 64 today, and after logging in, I was greeted with a black screen and my cursor. Nothing else would work! No explorer, no CTRL+ALT+DEL - nothing!

After some time of fooling around and not having much luck, I booted in safe mode and uninstalled Eset Smart Security, and rebooted normally.

After logging on this time, I was greeted with a dialog after a few moments that said something like "Vista SP1 installed successfully".

I have now reinstalled ESS on my laptop and all seems to work fine now.

I hope this helps someone else out there, and saves them quite some grief!

(I'm guessing that ESS was somehow blocking the final part of the service pack update, or Vista wasn't liking something that ESS was doing).

2. shansmi

shansmi Registered Member

not real sure...I have vista ultimate 32 and was running ESS 3.0.642 before installing SP1...no problems and had no problems during or after the install of SP1. I did the full installer download of ~500MB then the installation on one machine then used Windows Update on my second machine which is also running ESS - no problems there either....seems to be another x64 type problem?

I do remember from both installs getting the Sp1 install was successful as well as a red app modicifation warning for one of the system apps from ESS. did u see that? maybe that was the problem?

3. adza

adza Registered Member

Hi,

I never recall seeing any red ESS message, but wonder if it was hidden by the 'black' screen along with everything else.

4. adza

adza Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Just had the exact same problem occur again, after everything was working correctly. The only difference was that I moved my computer from my network at work to a different network it hasn't been on before, and got the same black screen again!

Have uninstalled ESS, and gone back to EAV for the time being, as their is obviously more to this problem than I first thought.

Hope this helps.

5. PatG

PatG Registered Member

Don't know if this is ESS problem or not. My son-in-law related to me about upgrading w/SP1 and getting the black screen/cursor blinking. Waited for 10 minutes and nothing. He did make an image BEFORE trying installing SP1, so he just restored the image and everything was ok. BTW, he does NOT have ESS installed at all, uses another AV and FW, so that wasn't a factor at all.

6. KOKOtm

KOKOtm Registered Member

I had the same problems mentioned in earlier posts. I did the same, moved the PC from one network to an other network.(LAN Party to Home), i had to reinstall my ESS at the lan party, because me internet connection doesn't work. After reinstall all worked fine.

Also at home my pc booted and i thought all was fine, but then, my black screen after logon apears again. My idea was, that my other mce-vista-pc in my home network must be the problem, because i didn't change something on my pc.

So i turned my media center off and booted again and hit the desktop. To go sure i turned on my media center (vista 32 bit with ESS) again and rebooted my gaming pc(Vista 64 Bit with ESS), login in, black screen off death.

To go sure i tried 2 times more, every time the same: Media Center on, black screen after logon on gaming pc, media center off, all worked fine. It really sucks!

7. KOKOtm

KOKOtm Registered Member

Ok, i found the problem that ESS had.

I usually connect my network drive from my mediacenter pc at bootup. If i disable this feature all is fine. If it is enabled, i get the black screen. Any ideas to fix this?

8. KOKOtm

KOKOtm Registered Member

Still have the same problem, can't connect my network drive on bootup, still results in a black screen after logon.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  9. pondlife152

pondlife152 Registered Member

Found this post after searching for exactly the same problem on my laptop.
    This fix worked a treat.

Many thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.