[Windows] Vulnerability : Windows XP Explorer Executes Arbitrary Code in Folders

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by gkweb, Jan 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

A new vulnerability has been discovered :

http://www.securitytracker.com/alerts/2004/Jan/1008843.html

I have tested the sample which allow you to test safely this exploit, and no sandboxe software warned me about the code beeing executed, because it relies on your main browser and windows explorer, which are obviously both allowed.

Some people were asking for proof of a code not blocked by sandboxe softwares, here is one.

We can easily imagine that in the future this vulnerability will be used by many worms...

Be aware that a folder now could not be a folder.

2. SteeLRasH

SteeLRasH Registered Member

Re:[Windows] Vulnerability : Windows XP Explorer Executes Arbitrary Code in Fold

Woow indeed amazing vulnerability.
    tiny PF don't warn me
    but the the malicious code is in KAV virus database now as the trojan dropper.JS.Mimail.b

thanx for your warning

3. Sumire

Sumire Registered Member

Re:[Windows] Vulnerability : Windows XP Explorer Executes Arbitrary Code in Fold

Hi,gkweb

Thank you for your post!! I also downloaded exploit tool. yeah, I think this is very dangerous exploit especially for "Art of Trojaning"..... :oops:

thanks again
    Best Regards.

4. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Where did you download the exploit? I went to http://www.malware.com/my.pics.zip and didn't find it.

5. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

it seems that the exploit is not anymore available and that they think to sell it o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.