MojoPac - Desktop virtualization software - review

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Mrkvonic, Mar 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

If you are interested, I've written an article:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/mojopac.html

MojoPac is a very nice tool. It allows you to run Windows from external devices in a virtualized layer, so you gain security, portability, flexibility. But best of all, it allows 3D support! You can use it for games and whatnot.

Comments are welcome.

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi Mrk! Very nice and impressive. Good work. :thumb:

How do u compare it to VMware, Virtual Box etc in terms of speed, resource usage and functionality?

Thanks

3. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

I have 250 Gig USB Drive I use for Storage. MojoPac seems fascination to me if I Install mojopac will I still be able to utilize this drive for backup & storage. I also use FDISR do you think it will screwup that program?

4. Mrkvonic

Hello,

You can't compare. VMware, VirtualBox are fully enclosed, independent virtualization solutions, which can run a range of OSs completely separated and different from the host.

MojoPac relies on real hardware and the installed OS to work. And since it works with real hardware rather than virtual, it offers advantages in terms of performance and driver support.

Each has distinctive cons and pros. You should use both. For example, you cannot use VirtualBox at work, but you might be able to use Mojo. Or at home, you have Linux, you won't be able to use Mojo, but VMware is just for you.

EDIT: Woody, I have not tried installing Mojo on a non-empty disk, so I can't tell. BUT - you can install Mojo first and then use a part of the disk for backups, just like any other ...

Mrk

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

What about using it for malware testing, should it be as secure as VM?

I did not find the list of guest OS anywhere?

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Can you compare this app with Sandboxie, and if so, what are the differences? Or is this tool not really focused on security?

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Sorry to say but seems from ur Q that u did not bother to read it.

8. Mrkvonic

Hello,

I don't think Mojo is intended to be used as a security sandboxing / testing application. According to their site, Mojo cannot access the host drives and runs in a virtual layer...

BUT, why should you use something intended to allow you portability with YOUR data, programs - for testing malware? It might be possible, but seems to me a bit offmark.

aigle, guest OS? There are no guest OSs. You run your own Windows - in a virtualized layer with full hardware support.

Mrk

9. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Hey just install it,not so virtuall,if i fire up ie,SBIE is called from the real system !! Hmmmm.o_O

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Sorry I thought it like VM.

So what about licencing issues if I use for example XP?

11. Mrkvonic

Hello,

It IS intended to be used with XP! That's the whole beauty. You have your Windows XP installed, yes? So enjoy Mojo! Install it and off you go.

Huupi, you need to install SandboxIE inside Mojo and then it will be used from Mojo system. It's like two separate Windows one on top of the other.

Mrk

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Mrk just curious that why MS did not object this( atleast so far)? It seems XP install on more than one PC. Am i correct?

13. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    No different than running portable apps. You install Mojo on your own PC, with your own Windows. So why should they object?
    Mrk

14. InVitroVeritas

InVitroVeritas Registered Member

Just tryed it, and it works like a charm, given a fast enough usb device that is.

It's great actually, like a hybrid between a virtual desktop (_not_ virtual OS, got it) and a second user account.

15. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

I thought it was great last year when I bought it. Then I got to work and realised it doesn't work under a limited account. So to me it's a nice novelty but practically useless.

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i heard they are going to make a version that works under limited user accounts? this is a very good idea since the oringinal idea was to be used in an environment which you cannot install programs aka limited accounts.

17. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    There's now MojoUsher thingie, which allows you to work under LUA.
    Mrk

18. SpikeyB

They do have a thingie which allows you to use it under LUA. The problem is, the admin has to install a programme on the host computer first.

That's OK if you want to use it on only one computer but the purpose of MojoPac is that you can use it anywhere. Not sure my admin would want to follow me from site to site installing the thingie on all the machines I might want to use.

19. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Do you have LUA on all computers at work?
    Mrk

20. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Just uninstal it,can't get it to work with SBIE,also don't like the calls to the real system. How virtu. ?? :(

21. SpikeyB

Hi Mrkvonic

Yes all the computers at work are LUA.

To me Mojopac was meant to be like having your computer in your pocket. I installed it on a laptop HDD. You could walk up to any computer in the world and access your own personal computer. If and when they fix this limitation, then my dream will become reality and I will become very excited again.

For the time being I'll stick with Portable Apps.

22. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

23. Mrkvonic

Hello,

Well, no one suggests you use Mojo for hard-core investigation of malware. But for activities that you cannot have on your machine, it's pretty much the winner.

But let's say you're at workplace... and you're not allowed to install anything on the computer. Plug in Mojo, install Firefox, install OpenOffice, install games ...

Mrk

24. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

:eek: :eek: :D :D
    Shocking I say.
    But then again: :shifty: just made for whiling away the hours....

25. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I suppose that no one of the satisfied users have SBIE on their desktops,if so then it become another story,for me its a pain to get Mojo Pac working properly. :thumbd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.