Can't create Acronis Secure Zone

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ploquit, Mar 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ploquit

ploquit Registered Member

Windows Vista Home Premium
    Acronis True Image 11 Home

I think I've messed something up and hopefully it will be easy to fix.

I had done a complete install of TI11

I had repaired Vista as per Mudcrabb's suggestion
    I had created a secure zone
    I activated recovery manager
    I did one full back up and one incremental... just to see how it works
    Then I did another full backup hoping it would delete the first. there was plenty of space in the secure zone that it kept both full back ups. I didn't like that so I went and deleted the secure zone. and reallocated the space to C:

Now I cannot re-create a secure zone. I've tried running it as an administrator and changed the global settings to allow acronis to run as an administrator. I've even disabled my antivirus. Do I simply need to reinstall Acronis true Image home... or Does this have something to do with the MBR?

when I try to create the SZ... I get all the way thru to the reboot required. when I reboot, it looks like acronis is analising the partitions, but doesn't actually make changes to it. the recovery manager seems to be off now as i no longer have the choice to hit f11 during reboot.

2. ploquit

Secure Zone Created.

I restarted my computer with the Bootable CD to run Acronis True Image 11Home. I was able to Manage Secure Zone and create it from here. when the system rebooted, the SZ was in place as I wanted it. (I still don't understand why it wouldn't let me do so successfully from windows)

Then I scheduled a full backup.. which it has since performed.
    I also scheduled an incremental backup, which is to be performed wednesdays.
    Then I validated the backup. all good so far.
    Except...
    The status bar on the home page of TI still shows that no backups have been created yet?

I will start a new thread for this problem.

3. uptone

uptone Registered Member

Hi, just thought I would add a penny to your thoughts. When you create a secure zone what you are doing is partitioning the drive and reformatting the section of a drive that you partitioned. If you only have one drive, you are repotitioning your system drive. This requires a must re-boot.
    The acronis secure zone becomes basically a second drive that has a 32 bit format. Nothing should be able to get into this secure zone because it it being controlled by acronis. You can put your acronis backups here without fear that they will be tampered with. However, what will thow a monkey wrench into the whole ball of wax is the fact that your hard drive can go bad or start developing bad sectors. The bad sectors that it might develope could be in your secure zone. Or you could have a catastrophic failure of the hard drive in which case you can't even get the hard drive to turn on. There goes your system, data and your backups.
    What is recommended is to install a second hard drive in your computer if at all possible. Use the second hard drive to create your secure zone and the rest of the hard drive depending on how big of a secure zone you make can be used for precious data storage. Now, if your system drive crashes, you will still have your backup so that you can replace the system drive and restore your system in less than an hour.

4. ploquit

As I have just finished doing a clean install of Vista, and all my other programs and drivers, and of course Acronis, I wanted to be sure that I could recover it to save me the days of work it took me getting here.

I am not relying solely on SZ. I have a backup copy on DVD's as well. (AS Well as a DVD data disk with just my documents, music, and photos.)

I'm still curious to know why I was unable to create a SZ from inside the windows environment. I tried simly starting the application under my user account (which is an administrator account). I tried starting the program as an administrator and of course changed the settings of the program properties to show for all users and current user... run as administrator. You can imagine after all those attempts I was happy to at least get it created via the boot disk.

In regards to the status bar... In the green now.

[​IMG]

5. uptone

uptone Registered Member

You probably did not get a required reboot after you wiped out the secure zone the first time. What should have happened is you wipe out your secure zone and this puts your system drive back to one drive. (Probably formatted NTFS). Now you need a reboot. Next you create a new secure zone (which is where you had the problem). Acronis couldn't create it because the first reboot never occurred. So Now you reboot and the requirement is met so Acronis can now re-create a secure zone. Why this happened I could only speculate which is what I am doing now. (Speculating)

6. ploquit

I'm still having problems with Secure Zone

I had changed the size of my C: partition with Windows Management Console, and now SZ cant seem to aquire any memory of C: in order to expand.

My guess (as i'm a basic pc user and don't know much) is that this is related to a permission issue. Every time i try to use Manage Secure Zone, I get all the way thru to where a reboot is required... I reboot, but the partitions do not change (this is what was happening too when i was creating the secure zone. I believe that since i change the partition size in the Management consol, Acronis does not have access to C:... how can I change that?

my work around to creating the SZ was to do so from the boot CD.

another work around I have found is to reduce the size of the partition in Windows Management Console, then use Manage Secure Zone to take up the unallocated space.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  7. ploquit

Had a thought... Do I need to claim ownership of the drive (I needed to place ownership on my files before i could burn them to dvd... maybe the same issue here)

permission.JPG

Do i select "replace owners on subcontainers and objects".

I am going to wait untill i hear from others before i claim ownership of C:

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=203393

Hello ploquit,

The possible reason of the issue can be in card readers attached to the computer. So we recommend you to detach all of them and try to resize Acronis Secure Zone under Windows again. Please be aware also that if you have built-in card readers (for example if you have a laptop) it should be possible to disable them in BIOS. Please note also that card readers can also be built into the printer. So we recommend you to detach or switch off the printer if you have one.

Thank you
    --
    Nikita Sakharov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.