Norton Internet Security 2008 - Live Update Interactive Mode Problems

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by oddworld, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oddworld

oddworld Registered Member

Just installed Norton Internet Security 2008 the other day and was wondering how to get the Live Update Interactive mode to work when launching it through the program?

It works fine when launched through the windows Run command with luall but I think this should launch through the program when you have everything set to interactive mode.

Is this a bug in the program or is there a trick to get this working?:p

Thanks.

2. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

One of the main reasons I stopped using any Symantec product over 5 years ago. The Live Update never works right. Search there site. You can download Live Update through there site and uninstall it off your pc. Then reinstall it.

3. oddworld

The live update works it's just the interactive mode within 2008 that is not working right.

4. Michael York

Michael York Registered Member

Hi oddworld,
    Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team responding to your posting about Norton Internet Security 2008.

When you open the main Norton Internet Security window, the option to "Run LiveUpdate" should work. If it is failing on you, please follow the instructions in the link below to download the Intelligent Updater, which will install the latest version of LiveUpdate.

Intelligent Updater Instructions and Download

After running this, please try manually running LiveUpdate.

Let me know if this resolves the problem you are having with manual LiveUpdate.

Thank you,
    Mike

5. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Hi Mike, nice to see someone from Symantec here :)

I haven't had any problems with LU myself but I will keep that link you provided for future reference.

6. oddworld

Mike, Thanks for the help.

Live Update runs fine from the main Norton window but it will not run in Interactive mode from there.

I have to use the run command with luall to get the interactive mode to work.

Will the Intelligent Updater fix this problem?

I also have automatic live update turned off and it still updates by it's self even when I have it set to off.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  7. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

I haven't been able to figure out a way to get Liveupdate to run in the interactive mode either. I would like to know what updates are available before I download and install them. In the past, I've had updates that caused problems, so I elected not to install them. So far with NIS 2008, I have no choice.

8. oddworld

Cloudcroft, You can get interactive mode to run in Internet Security 2008 with the run command and luall

I would like to get Interactive mode to work by clicking the link on NIS 2008.

Maybe Mike from norton will help us out?

9. Cloudcroft

Hopefully Mike will check in and let us know if this is possible....thanks for the tip on using the run command with luall.

10. Michael York

Hi oddworld,

The Intelligent Updater will install the latest version of LiveUpdate, as well as the latest definition files. Even if you are not having an issue with LiveUpdate, it's still a good idea to use the Intelligent Updater to make sure that the latest version of LiveUpdate is installed.

To enable Interactive Mode, you need to make some changes in the LiveUpdate Control Panel. Please follow the steps in the link below to enable Interactive Mode.

LiveUpdate Interactive Mode Instructions

Please follow these steps and let me know if you can successfully run LiveUpdate in Interactive Mode after you have downloaded and run the Intelligent Updater.

Thanks,

Mike

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

12. oddworld

So the only way to get Interactive mode to run with Norton Internet Security 2008 is through the run command with ulall ?

I have already set live update to run in interactive mode but it never works when just clicking the link on the NIS 2008 main menu screen.

This intelligent updater will fix this problem?

13. Cloudcroft

Mike, thanks for checking back. I followed your instructions to get Liveupdate working in the interactive mode, but it didn't help. Any other suggestions?

oddworld, did this work for you?

Edit: oddworld, I see you posted while I was typing.

14. Cloudcroft

It didn't work for me.

15. oddworld

No, it did not work.

The only way I can get Live update to run in interactive mode is with the run command and luall.

What now?

16. oddworld

Another thing that is broken with NIS 2008 is the automatic live update.

I have automatic live update set to off and it's still updates it's self in the background.

I've been using Norton for years but might have to start looking elsewhere for a quality product because I think Norton is on the way out.:oops:

17. ynos2008

ynos2008 Registered Member

I have Norton AV 2007, not NIS. But you can check.
    When I set Auto Update to OFF, it gives you choices for duration:
    15 mins, 1 hr, 5 hrs, Until System Restarts and Permanently. It's settable in a drop down box.

Check NIS to see it has the same feature.

18. oddworld

Thanks, ynos2008

I have live update set to be permanently off and it still updates on it's own.

Norton internet security 2008 is definitely a broken piece of software.

19. Michael York

Hi Oddworld,

Besides turning off Automatic LiveUpdate from the main Norton Internet Security window, try going into the Symantec LiveUpdate Control Panel, click on the "Automatic LiveUpdate" tab at the top of the window, and de-select "Use Automatic LiveUpdate." Next, go back to the "General" tab and make sure that "Interactive Mode" is checked.

Please try this and let me know if it worked for you.

Thanks,
    Mike

20. Cloudcroft

Hello Michael-

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my LiveUpdate settings seem to be permanently stuck in the "Express Mode", even though "Interactive Mode" is checked. The following "Express mode" settings, "Automatically start the session when LiveUpdate is launched" and "Automatically exit at the end of the session" are checked, and unchecking them has no effect. Do you have any other suggestions on changing the LiveUpdate settings?

21. oddworld

^^Same exact problem here^^^

I did uncheck the run live update from the control panel so maybe that will help with live update running in the background.

Now if we can get the interactive mode to run when I click "Run Live Update"
    from the Norton Internet Security program I would be very happy.

22. Michael York

Hi Oddworld and Cloudcroft,

I apologize that you are both still experiencing a problem with the Interactive Mode of LiveUpdate. The first steps I would suggest that you try are to make certain that you click the "Apply" button in the Control Panel after de-selecting "Turn on Automatic LiveUpdate," and also when you choose "Interactive Mode" in the other tab of the Control Panel. In order to see the "Apply" button highlighted, you may need to toggle between Express Mode and Interactive Mode.

If trying the procedure I mention above does not do the trick, then there is a problem with your installation of Norton Internet Security. If this is the case, please follow the steps below to properly remove Norton internet Security and reinstall it.

1. Click on the following link to download the Norton Removal Tool:
    Norton Removal Tool and Instructions

2. After you run the tool, please restart your computer. Then log in to Windows again and run the removal tool again. Restart your computer after it is finished running the second time as well.

3. Make sure that your internet connection is working properly, and then reinstall Norton Internet Security 2007. Towards the end of the installation process, the LiveUpdate feature will automatically run and download and install updates to both the program files and definition files.

4. After the installation is complete, open the Norton Internet Security main window and then click on the "Norton Internet Security" tab at the top of the window.

5. Click on "Settings" and then click on "Automatic LiveUpdate," and choose "Turn Off."

6. Open the Symantec LiveUpdate Control Panel and choose "Interactive Mode," and then click the "Apply" button.

7. Click on the "Automatic LiveUpdate" tab and de-select "Use Automatic LiveUpdate," and then click the "Apply" button.

Please let me know if this process resolves the issue.

Thank you,

Mike

23. Cloudcroft

Hi Mike...oddworld and I both have Norton Internet Security 2008 installed. I want to make sure your instructions apply to NIS 2008 as well as 2007. Thanks.

24. oddworld

Yes, I have NIS 2008 and I have done everything except uninstalling and reinstalling the program again.

I had NIS 2007 on this computer and I used the Norton removal tool to uninstall it before installing 2008.

Can anyone confirm that interactive mode does run from the main screen of NIS 2008 when they click "Run Live Update" ?

I'm not sure if this works for anyone.

All I can get from there is express mode even when everything is set to interactive.

Read this on another forum:

LiveUpdate in the 2008 products works the same way it did in previous versions, there is just one difference - when LiveUpdate is started from the NIS/NAV UI or the start menu shortcut found in the NIS/NAV program group a different executable is called which displays a new UI for LiveUpdate. To get the old behaviour back, create a shortcut to LUALL.EXE (found in the C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate folder, or where ever this may be installed on your system) and use this instead.

A shortcut will work, LUALL in the run command works, now if I could only get interactive mode to run from the NIS user interface I would be happy.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  25. Michael York

Hi oddworld,

Yes, the instructions I listed in my previous post apply for both Norton Internet Security 2007 and Norton Internet Security 2008. I'm sorry if I confused you by mentioning only the 2007 version. As I had said in my previous post, if by chance the Interactive Mode still does not work after clicking the "Apply" button, then an uninstall/reinstall would be your best bet.

Thanks,
    Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.