EAV 3.0.642 not updating definitions at computer boot up

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Zyrtec, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hi all,

I'm having problems with an installation of EAV 3.0.642 running on a Centrino duo laptop with OS Windows XP Pro SP-2.

I used to run NOD 32 2.70.39 before and right after I booted my laptop it waited until a wireless connection could be established by the wireless card on my laptop before updating its virus definitions which was OK.

I hesitated to upgrade to version 3.0.621 because all the problems I read about it on this forum but I did so on January 25, 2008.
    It worked OK and just like version 2.70.39 did it also waited for a wireless connection to be established first before updating its virus definitions.

A few days ago, I updated version 3.0.621 to the newest version 3.0.642.
    When I updated version 3.0.621 to 3.0.642 I chose to keep all my current settings (BLACKSPEAR'S settings by the way).

Nonetheless, after I updated to v. 3.0.642 EAV has suddenly stopped updating definitions when my laptop boots up for a first time and establishes its wireless connection via my wireless router.

It looks like it's starting to update BEFORE my laptop gets connecte to the Internet through the router.
    This has lead EAV to display a message in the update section of its GUI stating that it “there was an error and the virus definitions could not be updated” and it suggests me to trubleshoot the antivirus.
    I even cleared the update cache and rebooted just in case and all my EAV settings are those of Blackspear.

However, when I update it manually, after reading that error message, it updates without any problems which means it's accessing the Internet without any problems.

My FW by the way, is ZAAS version 7.0.462 but it's configured to allow ekrn.exe for outbound connections to the Internet (trusted zone & internet zone).

Is there anyone else besides me confronting this update problem or is it just an isolate case ? How can I fix it ?

Thank you,

Carlos

2. DavidCo

DavidCo Registered Member

I waited for .642 before upgrading from 2.7
    I can confirm the issue you are having, although sometimes it does update on boot.
    I does depend on how quickly the connection (wireless) is established.
    Bit of a pain really.

There is probably a setting (-wait) that a guru could share with us.

3. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hi,

Thank you for you speedy response to my request.

I was talking to a friend of mine who also happens to use EAV 3.0.642 on his laptop and he told me that perhaps tweaking the SCHEDULER, located on the TOOLS tab of the GUI of EAV 3.0.642 could help because there is an “Automatic Update after dial-up connection” option which is ticked (equivalent to a wireless connection, by the way) but I'm a bit reluctant to mess up with these settings because they are at default.

Thanks,

Carlos

4. DavidCo

DavidCo Registered Member

I saw that one too.
    But I'm not a guru, so lets wait eh.
    :)

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Try this
    Open the Scheduler
    Make sure all tasks are checked , including "Automatic update after user logon"

Attached Files:

• 111.gif
      111.gif
      File size:
      33.6 KB
      Views:
  6. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hello, HiTech_boy

Thanks for your response.

I'll try that out and I'll let you know my findings here.

By the way, this option is unticked by default on EAV 3.0, may I ask why is that ?
    When I used EAV 3.0.621 (the previous version to 3.0.642 which I'm using now) everyting was working OK. I got updates for my laptop right after Windows started up and my laptop got connected wirelessly.
    Whit this version (.642 )everything has messed up.

best regards,

Carlos

7. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hello, HiTech_boy

I've tried your suggestion and I ticked the “Automatic Update after user logon” and re-started the laptopmto see if EAV 3.0.642 could be able to update the virus definitions right after the laptop got connected wirelessly to the router but it didn't happen. Instead, Windows XP froze for a few minutes after booting up and the EAV icon appeared after a while (1 min. and a half) on the toolbar.

Maybe Marcos or another ESET moderator need to address this problem with .642 cause it didn't happen with .321

I know I could update the virus defs. manually after booting up but what about if I forget doing so? This task (Regular Automatic Update) won't repeat itself until 60 minutes after it failed.

Thank you

Carlos

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi!

I guess the update behaviour you have seen in v 3.0.621 was caused by a bug . The bug was that when ekrn.exe tries to update because of activated scheduled tasks , it cannot stop itself until internet connection established (something like non-stop going into cycle checking for updates and didn't stop because of server connection error) . This bug caused your wireless to update after boot because right after boot you don't have internet connection (you wait a few seconds to connect) but ekrn.exe (3.0.621) didn't stop checking because you don't have connection.

In 3.0.642 the bug is gone , ekrn.exe notices you don't have internet and stops.

So , a temporary solution until they find a way is :
    1) Open the Scheduled Tasks
    2) Right click the "Regular automatic update" task
    3) Start to edit it
    4) Don't change anything but press [NEXT] until you get to the place where you choose how often to perform the taks . By default it is every 60 minutes
    5) You manually edit to every 10 minutes and confirm with [NEXT] , [FINISH] or [OK]

I am telling you every 10 minutes because the program doesn't allow auto checking every less than 10 minutes.

This way , no matter if you don't have successful wireless connection right after boot , the ekrn.exe will try to update every 10 minutes (so 10 minutes later you'll have the updated delivered) . I believe it is acceptable as a temporary solution :thumb:

9. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Thank you HiTech_boy for your clarification and suggestions. I'll try your last one out and I'll see if it solves (partially) my problem of updating when the laptop connects to the router via wireless connection.

Anyhow, it would've been great if it had updated right after the connection is established.

Best regards,

Carlos

10. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Yes , sure , but this doesn't depend on me . Hopefully they'll fix it in next build :)

11. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Thank you, HiTech_boy :thumb:

I've done as you suggested me even when I'm not getting the virus definitions updates for EAV 3.0.642 when my laptop just connects via wireless to my wireless router at home but at least it gets the updated defs. automatically 10 min. after the connection has been established.

Could Marcos or another Eset moderator confirm that this bug will be addressed in a next build of EAV 3.0 ? Do you have any ETA for it ?

Thank you,

Carlos

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.