COMODO Firewall Pro 3.0.18.309 has been released!

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Coolio10, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Ah, thats why. Thanks again.

2. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I thought to give this a try. Oddly enough, i have two observations:

1) My browsing speed is excellent, even during p2p. But it could be that it is Opera's 9.26 merit, since i installed it yesterday just before installing Comodo.

2)This version, eats significantly more CPU Time in cpf.exe than the previous version (bloat alert. The required disk space also is at 64MB, i wonder where it is going).

Now i disabled firewall logging to see if it does any good to CPU usage.

I have mixed feelings. I can't say if it's this version or Opera 9.26, but i have amazing browsing improvement.
    I am tempted to revert to a previous version of Comodo, but reading the release notes, i am discouraged.

Anyone else noticed these?

3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

4. Fuzzfas

Thanks Kees. Works fine for me too, i can't complain about any issues (other for the purpose of having a scanner that doesn't update and no option to opt out in installation), but in older versions of 3.0, i remember cpf.exe being something like 00.00.20 after many hours and now i have 00:01:09 in maybe less time. And i know it's not my setup that is in fault, because i restored a freshly installed XP image and the system is "virgin". So, i would think that they fixed many bugs, but at a cost in CPU.

Anyway, i will try to ignore it since my browsing speed is so good that i am afraid that if uninstall it and install an earlier version, i may brake something. :ninja:

5. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

opera is very fast. and the latetest beta 9.50... is even faster. try it in sandboxie or something and u will be amazed.

6. Fuzzfas

I was running 9.25 (and 9.50beta for a while), but with 9.26 the speed up is noticable. And i can't say if it is Opera that has improved so much or it's the latest Comodo that cooperates much better with it. I was running 9.25 in Sanboxie too, but it wasn't as fast as now... I guess i will have to do further experiments.

7. Kees1958

Fuzzfas,

Besides making available the black/white list of the FW, D+ is also benefitting of it. Possible cause for more CPU time (without slow down with Opera 9.26 I have to say) are the (new?) heuristics, see pic

It look likes Comodo FW has a white list and they are using the blacklist of the Comodo AntiVirus. Nice thing i sthat they problably have included the heuristics of teh AV also (o_O) Maybe some incrowd Comodo member could elaborate?

Thx in advance

Attached Files:

• CPU.JPG
      CPU.JPG
      File size:
      78.2 KB
      Views:
  8. Fuzzfas

Thanks Kees. I really hadn't thought about this at all. They were using heuristics for some time, but you may actually be right. With the new scanner, it would be logical to think that they use always more the virus database for D+...

I would be actually happy to revert to an older version 3.X, without the useless virus database. The proble is, reading the release notes, i can't choose the "last good version". Also it doesn't specify if the fixed bugs were always present or generated only in the previous release.

This version works really well. But it seems to me the CPU Time has stepped on the accelerator... Right now i have 00:02:17 and i am quite certain that with the versions before the integration of av, i was running it for 24h+ non stop and wasn't even at 00:00:50.

9. Fuzzfas

I tried the .295 version (the first with scanner). It does seem to eat more CPU Time too compared to my memories of the pre-scanner versions. I vaguely remember posting here for the first 3.0 version, how impressed i was from the low CPU Time. Now i am not.

With 3.18, after 16 hours of usual tasks, i had cpf.exe at 00:02:17.

This is from .295 after almost 2 hours(a bit less) of constant browsing and p2p and video:

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/4076/50363881ly1.png

What is the most impressive, isn't the result itself, since extrapolating the CPU time of cpf.exe for 16 hours, it could go close to the 3.18 version.

But, the most impressive is compared to 1 1/2 hour of running Kerio 2 instead in my old setup, as posted here (post #50):
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=200828&page=2

I am not referring to Kerio itself, the comparison would be unfair, since it doesn't do all Comodo does, but compare the CPU Time of other processes too (explorer.exe, system,crss.exe). The difference is obvious. So more than ever, i must quote Diver, saying:

An alternative would be SSM Free, which is much lighter in CPU time. But i think i will take the Returnil way again.

I am a bit paranoid about CPU time for background tasks i guess. :D

10. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Anyone noticing a little drag on the system with the latest CFP? As others noted, it is definitely using more CPU but my laptop is just a bit slower with this build.

11. Fuzzfas

Personally i didn't notice any drag. But laptops have slower hard disks and this could have something to do with it.

12. Fuzzfas

P.S.: I can now say that the improved performance in browsing speed, is thanks to the new Opera version, not to Comodo.

13. Kees1958

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  14. Fuzzfas

Thanks Kees. I 've seen EQ Secure, but the GUI doesn't attract me. Seems overwhelming.

Yes, on my pc it uses 0-1% too. That's why i said i am paranoid. :D I have been spoilt for too long by Kerio 2...

15. Fuzzfas

Oh,well, i will put my paranoia to sleep and put back the 3.18 version. After all, i don't run heavy apps at startup. So i guess, i could live with one, since it gives me much more than my beloved Kerio 2. :'(

16. Fuzzfas

Ok, maybe i am paranoid, but... only now Comodo behaves like i was expecting it... I showed him the competition. Last evening, i installed Ghostwall for a while and OA Free. Then i installed 3.18 again... And, miracle, Comodo started behaving like in the old days again... :eek:

-From 19:42 till 00:27 of last night (and using Utorrent all the time. Not just since 21:02 that is shown there but before too. I simply closed and reopened UTorrent , that's why it shows 21:02 starting time).

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/4874/utorrck2.png

cpf.exe is at 00:00:11 (!). Like in the good old says that i remembered.

-From 00:29 to 09:36 of this morning, i let it run EMule non-stop. As known, EMule is much heavier than UTorrent.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/1314/77329739ya7.png

The result... From 19:42 to 09:36 in a non-stop session (14 hours), using 2 p2p programs all the time, i find cpf.exe at 00:00:18, when yesterday after 2 hours it was at 00:00.21 and in another 16 hours session, it was at 00:02:17.

My CPU didn't grow stronger overnight and i always use the same settings (except for setting firewalls alerts to medium this time instead of high), so beats me as to how there is this huge difference. Also at least in the first part of the session, i did what i always to with the PC, so the use was the usual one. Yesterday i tried 3 versions of Comodo in a row, cleaning well each time the registry, and all were showing the abnormal for me, CPU time. Since i installed the competition, Comodo behaves like in the old days. Comodo has much more than heuristics! It has real AI! It can become jealous of other firewalls! :D :ninja:

Anyway, who cares why... I m keeping it now.

17. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

It´s logical.

18. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

dont forget that opening the GUI increases the cpu time of cpf.exe. so testing different versions and opening the GUI random times will result in very different cpu times.

19. Fuzzfas

Correct, but i don't open the GUi all the time. Once made the rules, i reboot and leave it alone... The difference is huge to explain anyway.

20. jrx10

jrx10 Registered Member

What good is a SW-FW if you don't open the GUI at least every once in a while to 1) Monitor connections especially attempted outbounds and 2) Monitor the logs ?
    BTW, asking again.
    I have Comodo 3.0 both the latest version as well as the latest version before the malware scan, Comodo 2.4, and OA free on OS images, and of all the GUI's to monitor attempted outbound/attempted inbounds/ monitor the logs/ and then modify network blocks for the trash websites that have to have tracking/profiling connections all over the place in order to open---I like the Comodo 2.4 GUI the best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.