Acronis BartPe plugin question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by truthseeker, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

Hello, I am able to download the BartPe plugin from my accounts page at acronis.com

But why would I need the BartPe plugin? What can that do that I cannot already do with TrueImage 11?

Thank you

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

The plug in is used as the ATI module when building a BartPE disk. BartPE disk is a CD that has small but bootable version of XP on it. So instead of using the regular ATI bootCD, which uses linux as the OS, you can use a Bart disk, which uses windows. Assuming you have provided the right drivers when you build Bart disk, it will definitely work on your hardware set up-- and work about as quickly doing reestores and ATI does backups from within win.

So some folks find the Bart disk faster than using the regular ATI bootCD -- plus, if the ATI bootCD doesn't work on your hardware set up, there's always Bart.

VistaPE is the same thing as Bart except is use a small bootable version of Vista instead of XP. Both a BartPE and VistaPE disk can be used to to do backups/restores of xp and vista disks.

3. truthseeker

But the ATI boot CD is super fast anyway I think.

By the way, I dont have XP, only Vista. I cannot create a BartpPE CD anyway as it needs XP.

4. truthseeker

How do I create a VistaPE CD? Do I need XP?

5. shieber

Read Mustang's free guide to building a VistaPE disk. See link below my signature.

6. shieber

For some folks. For others, especially some folks using USB drives, restores can be many times slower than backups -- as if linux was treating USB 2 drives as USB 1.1, which is about ten times slower. So a 15 minute backup takes a few hours to restore. With a Bart or VistaPE disk, the restore would be much closer the 15 min time.

7. truthseeker

Doesnt Mustang sell Acronis plugins illegally at:

http://www.mechrest.com/plugins/

And I followed that guide to the letter, but it doesn't work. It's flawed!

8. shieber

I don't see why one would presume it would be illegal. Mustang has been on these forums a long time and Acronis is well aware of his support for Acronis. I suspect that the availablity of his plug-ins have accounted for more copies of ATI being sold than otherwise. In fact, on these forums, Acronis has on occassion recommended that folks try Mustang's plugin.

I urge yuo to recheck that you have followed Mustang's steps. While it's certainly possible for something to go wrong (hey, it's computers) virtually every case of of the steps "not working" have been cases of user error. That might not be the situation in your case, but there's no way to tell if you don't specify just what the problem is.

9. truthseeker

Show me where an Acronis staff member have recommended people buy a Acronis plugin from his website.

10. shieber

Seek (ie, search and ye shall find.) I can't do all the work for ya. ;)

11. Dave49

Dave49 Registered Member

I wonder if Mustang will create a program to build the PE disk all by itself with no user input? I am not technically proficient enough to even understand what the instructions want. I don't even understand all of the terminology.

~Dave

12. shieber

Some of it we don't need to understand, just follow the steps ;-)
    But what part is giving you trouble, maybe someone can explain the term(s).

13. mustang

mustang Developer

Hello truthseeker,

Code:
    Doesnt Mustang sell Acronis plugins illegally at:

http://www.mechrest.com/plugins/

I'd like to answer that question for the benefit of everyone on this forum. There is nothing illegal about the plugins I sell. No Acronis files are included in the plugins. Everything needed to make them work is picked up from the system being used to build the BartPE disk. The proper version of True Image or Disk Director must be installed on that system for the plugin to configure. If there is not a valid serial number stored in the system registry, the plugin will not work.

Acronis has from time to time requested copies of my plugins so they could determine if they would allow them to be distributed. Most recently, I provided them with the plugin for True Image 11.0 Home. They also inquired about how the plugins were created. I provided them with all the details and they must have been satisfied as they didn't object to the plugins being sold.

Code:
    And I followed that guide to the letter, but it doesn't work. It's flawed!
    I assume you are talking about the VistaPE Guide. If you would like to tell me what problem you encountered, I'll see if I can help you.

14. Dave49

Dave49 Registered Member

Well, for one thing, I don't see any step-by-step instructions at the VistaPE location on your signature.

~Dave

15. mustang

mustang Developer

Hello Dave49,

The only difficult part of making a BartPE disk is creating a valid source if you don't have a Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 installation CD. If you really need a BartPE disk to make True Image restores, it would be worth your while to purchase a Windows XP service pack 2 Upgrade CD. It is the least expensive version of Windows XP and will work just fine.

16. Dave49

Dave49 Registered Member

Assume I have the XP SP2 install disk. Can you tell me the steps after that?

~Dave

17. shieber

It points to a relevent thread, from whence all things come to view, including the guide and some good discussion on the matter, which I thought folks would appreciate. But maybe the direct route is better ;-). Here's the link directly to the guide:

http://www.mechrest.com/plugins/BartPEGuide/VistaPEGuide.htm

which in turn has links to a source for the mini version of Vista if you don't have/own Vista, to plug-ins, to th winbuilder program.

18. Dave49

Dave49 Registered Member

I tried to get WinBuilder. The Zip file downloaded just fine and I extracted it to it's own folder as instructed. Then I ran it. The resultant downloads ran for over 2 hours. I got download speeds from 9.5-7.4 kb/s. Then it hit a 31.39MB file. The download stalled after just over 22MB. I had to use task manager to shut it down. I don't know what's wrong, but I haven't had download speeds like this since the 2400 baud dial up connection I had 20 years ago. In fact, most of the time was spent with nothing being transfered at all. I'm not complaining about not being able to get such good free stuff. But it's no longer worth it to me.

Thanks for all the good help, though.

~Dave

19. truthseeker

No wonder you would say this.. :p because you cannot provide the evidence to support your claim. Likely excuse :) I rest my case, you lose! :)

20. truthseeker

Do you finally admit now that anyone running Vista and install WAIK, that Winbuilder won't recognise it as a source? Because it doesnt recognise it for me as a valid source.

21. FBMachines

FBMachines Registered Member

It took all of a few minutes to find these (I'm sure there are more). Just because you are too ignorant to use the search doesn't make you right!

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=129610 Post #6
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=977795 Post #10
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=137429 Post #4

Your turn. Why don't you provide evidence of your erroneous claims?

Corey

22. FBMachines

I use the Vista WAIK, on a PC running Vista Ultimate, as the source without any issues.

Do your source settings look like these?
    [​IMG]

Which version of the Vista WAIK did you install? The Vista SP1 WAIK is out now but I haven't tried that version, only the pre SP1. Maybe if you are using the SP1 version it might not be supported yet. Just a thought.

Corey

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  23. truthseeker

Not at all. Because Mustang is selling Acronis Trueimage scripts that he wrote himself that enables people to pay him a small fee to get access to TrueImage on a CD, ripping Acronis off, because people can use his script instead of paying Acronis for the full product.

Or correct me if my understanding is wrong.. If a person uses Mustang's scripts that he sells for money, does the user still need to have bought Acronis Trueimage full version?

And even if that is true, that raises another question.. Why does a user need to buy anything from Mustang when I was able to create a VistaPE bootable CD with Winbuilder using the BartPE plugin from Acronis?

SO WHY DOES A PERSON NEED TO USE MUSTANGS SCRIPTS ANYWAY?

For example, I bought the full product from Acronis, and when I did, I get access to a BartPE plugin. But users who do not buy the full product from Acronis, can get similar plugin from Mustang for only a few dollars. ISNT THIS CORRECT?

I am waiting for a response from Acronis about this issue and until that time I will not many any further comments on this topic.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  24. truthseeker

Yeah, I used the other WAIK version and now it Winbuilder picks it up, cheers.

25. FBMachines

Yes, the user still has to have a valid licensed full version of True Image. The plugins \ scripts only copy files already installed from your computer to create a usable version for VistaPE or BartPE. NO ACRONIS FILES ARE INCLUDED WITH MUSTANG'S PLUGINS / SCRIPTS.

First of all, a user doesn't "need" to buy anything from Mustang, we choose to because of his knowledge in the scripts and plugins he offers. His plugins offer more features (most of the features found in the installed Windows version) than the Acronis version,which is free (in my case image mounting and universal restore).

Second, how where you able to create a VistaPE disk with the BartPE plugin? Correct me if I am wrong but that shouldn't be possible because they are different script types.

I think for a person that has gone through the process of creating a WinPE disk you are very confused. Mustang's plugins are of NO USE without a valid full install of True Image. If you still think Mustang's plugins are somehow able to get around having to purchase a full verion of True Image (which they don't) try this simple test. Completely unistall True Image, delete all of the previous comlpiled plugin folders that either WinBuilder or BartPE has has made and see how far you get in creating a boot disk with True Image on it. You won't get too far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.