[Help]Analysis of application protocols will not function

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by ncfeiyang, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ncfeiyang

ncfeiyang Registered Member

"Analysis of application protocols will not function"
    "An error occurred while starting services,Analysis of application protocols (POP3,HTTP)will not function"

I'm Tech support in china Version-2,I have installed EAV for a long time,today when i start my computer, i find that my EAV icon has turned to red.Then error message is above.

I have also receiced some user's email,they have the same problem with me.
    and i have contacted Hongkong support,they also don't know how to solve the quesion,please help me.Thank you.

2. CJDC

CJDC Registered Member

I have met this question too, has used up all methods and can't solve, so can not use nod temporarily, perhaps can only reset the system.I Hope someone knows how to solve

3. Wooderson

Wooderson Registered Member

4. Wooderson

Well, I've resolved mine myself for the moment.

Checking the system log, I found a Service Control Manager error 7026 that referred to a boot time service that could not be started "epfwtdir".

I searched the registry for any hits on "epfwtdir" and found that it was a file called "epfwtdir.sys" that was supposed to be located in C:\Windows\system32\drivers". I checked that folder and the file did not exist. After searching the entire drive, I found the file in C:\Windows\LastGood\system. I copied it from there and put in the system32\drivers directory.

Reinstalled and it works fine now (so far) for me.

5. Wooderson

Ok... well that didn't fix it for very long. A day later and I've got the same message back again :mad:

6. ncfeiyang

ncfeiyang Registered Member

Thank you ! I will check it :thumb:

7. monkman

monkman Registered Member

I had exactly the same problem - ESET didn't have a clue how to solve it so i 'upgraded' to Smart Security. The Virus bit of that was fine. However, everytime I rebooted, the Firewall wouldn't initialize unless I reinstalled. Again ESET didn't know why. So I've gone back to NOD v2 and hope someone somewhere will sort it. It's a pity; NOD 32 was a damn good anti virus application. Unless some of these issues are sorted pdq ESET will start to lose business.

8. phlash

phlash Registered Member

We are having this issue as well. What's going on?

9. HILTON BALTER

HILTON BALTER Registered Member

Unfortunately I have this same problem " an error occorred while starting services.....bla', bla', bla'...protocols POP3/HTTP will no function...."
    So I would like to ask to ESET Company: How is it? Who will be going to resolve this technical problem that affects to the consumers and blackens the image of the ESET Manufacturer.
    I also think that all people here damages with this technical problem will be waiting for a satisfactory solution for part of ESET/NOD32 Antivirus Company.
    This is an ALERT for the futures consumers of this product.
    Thanks

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  10. windstrings

windstrings Registered Member

I have the same problem, its been going on for the last several versions over the past year or so.. I believe I stirred the pot to try to find a solution but never got it. Everything seems to work fine, it even says that my email etc is protected when looking at the check boxes under the setup tab, but I still get that error when it boots up and when looking under the protection status tab.

11. murthy

murthy Registered Member

Analysis of application protocols will not function

While installing ESET NOD32 antivirus Business edition on one of the laptop, I was able to install the application well but after reboot I got an error message that "an error occured while starting services. Analsys of application protocols (POP3, HTTP) will not function.

Can someone help me to fix this issue.

Thanks
    Murthy

12. hgrueber

hgrueber Registered Member

Yes I have the same issue. I'll either get the "Analysis of application protocols will not function" or the "Personal firewall initlization failed" error messages.

I have tried 2.7, 3.0 and 4 beta, all with the same results.

I currently use 3.0 at home with no problems and was looking at purchasing NOD32 for my work laptop but I don't think I'll be doing that unless I get it working.

I have tried all the registry cleaners, uninstalls and system cleaners, clean reinstalls and nothing has worked. It seems to install fine and works fine until I reboot the computer, then it starts failing. I have now given up.

I have also noticed that HTTPS doesn't work in firefox or explorer when I have NOD32 antivirus activated......some weird stuff going on.

I also have this error in the Windows system event log: "The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
    epfwtdir"

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  13. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Have you already contacted customer care and provided them with a log from ESET SysInspector? Most likely there's another tdi driver installed that interferes with the epfw driver.

14. edwin3333

edwin3333 Registered Member

Re: Analysis of application protocols will not function

Two machines, same problem, upgrade to 2000 and profiles in c:\winnt\profiles

15. hgrueber

Yeah I have done that and uninstalled the applications recommended by the tech support guy. No luck though.

Overall I've been pretty happy with NOD32 in the past but this is pretty bad. I think I'll start to look elsewhere for my AV solutions.

16. HeartMan

HeartMan Registered Member

I too have this problem and have been working with Tech Support for the past few months to resolve, but haven't made any head way.

May I ask if the system your having the problem on has had it's operating system upgraded in-place?

Why I ask, is that the only systems I'm having this problem with are servers which have had their operating system upgraded in-place. In my case, they were upgraded in-place from WindowsNT4.0 to Windows2003. I also wondered if the windows directory structure might be a part of the problem. Again, in my case, the upgrade from NT4.0 to 2003 left the windows directory named "c:\winnt" and the user profiles are in a "profile" directory under that, instead of the "documents and settings" directory structure.

Tech Support has spent quite a bit of time, initially trying to understand that the error message in the event log that refers to the driver that doesn't load has something to do with a "firewall" even though it's the Antivirus program and not the Security Suite. They've had me try the lastest version and send numerous SysInspector logs and still no progress at all. I've got several Windows2003 servers, very basic and plain setups, all running the same few support utilities, the only real difference is that some were upgraded in-place from WindowsNT4.0 to Windows2003 and the others had new installs of Windows2003. The ones that were upgraded are the ones that have this problem, the new installs do not have this problem.

I've even refered Tech Support to this forum because of the numerous posts about this problem that never seem to get specific attention or a resolution of any kind.

Thanks,
    David

17. hgrueber

Hi Heartman,

No this is a fresh install of Windows XP SP3.

I use NOD32 and have always been a fan but this is really dissapointing. I've since installed a different AV with firewall no problems, so I think I'll be sticking with it.

Strange though how NOD32 just absolutely refuses to work on this laptop.

18. Jim H

Jim H Registered Member

I have this problem on one laptop.

Has anyone found a solution?

19. SanDiegan11

SanDiegan11 Registered Member

After installing NOD32 4.0 two days ago, my initial roblem was best described better by the original post in kernel communication error

Attempt to uninstall 4.0 (as suggested in some posts to uninstall and reinstall) failed too. NOD32 complained ESET's My Profile need sufficient access to delete the key,
    whatever that means. (All applications shown in systrays had been closed already.) ESET has not responded to this case yet.

Starting yesterday the symptom evolved to "Analysis of application protocols will not function" as covered in this thread. ESET tech support wrote me back for my second case reporting for 4.0: "... you will need to use a tool called "The Avenger" to delete the corrupt files from your computer. Please follow the steps below to download The Avenger and use it to clean your system."

After clicking 'Yes' at step 4a of ESET's email instruction, I got the warning which won't yield after repeated Yes:"it is dangerous to edit 'Services' registry keys directly -- if the associated driver is active, it could cause system deadlock! It is strongly recommended to use the 'Drivers to delete:' or 'Drivers to disable:' commands instead. Are you sure you want to execute this operation?"

I wrote back: Are'nt the first 5 registry keys to delete in your Step 3a fall in the category that
    http://swandog46.geekstogo.com/avenger2/cmd6.html specifically warned agaisnt
    "Do NOT use this command to delete driver keys! (subkeys of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services). If a malicious driver is active, this could cause system deadlock. "

Even though ESET's NOD32 is not a malware, Avenger.exe does not give the provision to go ahead. I am disappointed that ESET has not bothered to test the 8-step procedure or the instruction given is incomplete.

It has been 4 hours since I fed back to ESET, I have to set the PC Power Option to never sleep because of the limbo condition left from step 4a. Started to hope as a last resort I still have a restoring point to go back to the 3.0.

Any comment will be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2009
  20. SanDiegan11

OK, this time ESET tech support directed me to
    http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2116
    How do I uninstall or re-install ESET Smart Security/ESET NOD32 Antivirus? (4.0)

And it works. I don't know how many posts on this thread and the other on "Kernel Communication Error" stemmed from the ignorance of the need to have the second step in the following uninstalling process:

"#1
    Click Start → Programs → ESET → Uninstall. After you uninstall, you will need to reboot the computer.

After rebooting, click Start → My Computer. Navigate to and delete the following folders:

C:\Program Files\ESET
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ESET
    C:\Documents and Settings\%USER%\Application Data\ESET

Vista Users must delete the following folders:

C:\Program Files\ESET
    C:\Program Data\ESET"

And after the installation, I got the red false alarm:

"Maximum protection is not ensured
    Antivirus protection disabled
    A series error occurred while starting real-time file system protection. The computer is not protected against threats. The program needs to be reinstalled!"

This false alarm disappeared after a PC restart. Hopefully the ESET systray icon will stay green for a while.

21. miki69

miki69 Registered Member

Didn't work for me. Followed those uninstallation notes, reinstalled NOD32 v4 but I still get (from time to time) POP3 HTTP error message. I was hoping more support from ESET folks on this issue, ok clean install/reinstall is good start, but if this doesn't work what's next step?

Sometimes I need to restart my laptop several times in a row in order to make NOD32 to work. Quite annoying.

Cheers,
    Miki

22. SanDiegan11

What worked for me in April and most of May as mentioned in my April post stopped working two days ago, as I got the following messages:
    "Maximum Protection is not Ensured"
    Access to files, email, and Internet is not secured.
    Analysis of application protocols will not function
    An error occured while starting service. Analysis of application protocols (POP3, HTTP) will not function.

Tried to use RECOMMENDED support form inside the NOD32, but the Continue tab is dimmed.

Support request using the web form got reply essentially the same suggestion I received as posted in April in this thread. But this trick does not work for me for Version 4.0.437.0, sharing miki69's frustration.

It seems this is an unsolvable problem for ESET that we need to endure it.

23. SanDiegan11

I think my recent problems stemmed from Online Armor (firewall). When I uninstalled it, both ESET and MBAM problems are gone. Its installed new version has not caused problems YET. I'll be careful about OA's behavior in the future.

24. ioniancat21

ioniancat21 Registered Member

Sadly, after over a year since this post was made, Eset has still been unable to fix this. It's time for Eset to start taking customer issues a little more seriously and resolve issues, not create more of them.

Instead, you create a new version only to add to your misery since you never resolved the problems inherent from the previous version. What's happened now is that many of the problems with 3.0 have simply been ported over to the new version so now you have to give support to not one, but two clients that have issues. Maybe if you release version 5.0 soon you guys can totally overwhelm your support staff!!!!

25. ccomputertek

ccomputertek Registered Member

If version 3.0 breaks in vista / windows 7 it's much easier to fix than 4.0, which is unfixable, search my posts, I did a big write up about this and have solved most of the problems that have been ailing people, with version 3.0 at least.I'm not going to bother and try to reverse engineer 4.0

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.