Impossible to mount an image.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by babac, Feb 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi everyone,
    When trying to mount an image of a full backup stored on either my second internal disk or external USB, I receive this message: Impossible to assign a letter to the partition contained in the backup.As a result, the image is not mounted.

Any help will be appreciated.Thank you.

2. BillyPig

BillyPig Registered Member

Windows has a limited number of drive letters available to it; perhaps you have used them all up ? Try removings some drives and/or disconnecting some network drives and see if that helps.

Pig

3. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi Billy,
    It's quite possible I have too many drive letters assigned right now(6).
    There's only one that I can disconnect and the problem remains.
    However, on my laptop, I have only 2 letters assigned and mounting an image is not an issue.
    Thanks for your help.

4. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

Doesn’t sound like the number of drives is the issue. Windows XP has provisions for drives A through Z. I run TI-10, build 4942 also and have nine physical drives plus three network drives and mounting an image is not a problem. You can see your active and unassigned drives by installing Tweak UI then open it up and go to My Computer -> Drives. To get Tweak UI you can find it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

5. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi Bruce,
    I downloaded Tweak UI and could see that all letters are assignd from A through Z as you said.
    However ,I now notice that mounting an image is a problem only when I select the Read/Write mode. The letter is successfully assigned when I select the Read-Only mode.
    Thank you.

http://images2.photomania.com/413404/1/radD41A7.jpg

6. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

Yes, your attached image looks good. I’ve never selected the read/write mode so I have no experience with that. At least you’re making progress.

7. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi Bruce,
    I'm not sure I'm making progress as I did not test the Read-Only mode before.
    There is no interest for me in that mode .What I want is the Write/Read mode.
    Thank you.

8. LJGeezer

LJGeezer Registered Member

I have the exact same problem and will follow your thread hopefully for an answer

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello babac and LJGeezer,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please perform a repair installation of Acronis True Image and see if it solves the problem.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also create a screenshot of the error message.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

10. babac

babac Registered Member

Hello Marat,
    Thanks for your... compassion.
    I never heard of an Acronis True Image installation repair.
    Can you tell me more about it?

11. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Just a guess – but if you run the install again after TI had already been installed, it may ask if you want to run a "repair".

12. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi,
    It's quite possible after all.
    But since this was suggested by Acronis Support, I presume they will come back and confirm.
    Thank you for your suggestion.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  13. shieber

shieber Registered Member

If you rerun the install program on an installed ATI of he same version, it will offer to do a repair install. That's easy enough to test to; just try it and see if it's offered. No need to wait for Acronis to confirm; you can do it yourself in seconds.

14. LJGeezer

I attempted to install ATI but no repair option was offered. I got to the " upgrade and install" option and decided not to try that.

15. Acronis Support

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup software

Could you please do the following:

1) Check that all part of the image archive are in the same folder (since babac was able to mount the image not in read/write mode he can skip this step).
    2) Validate image archive.
    3) If the image archive appears to be consistent proceed to the Mount Image wizard last screen which contains the operation scenario and check if there is any EISA partition (usually service partition on notebooks).
    4) If you see such partition then choose 'do not mount' option for it.

Thank you
    --
    Michael Levchenko

16. cocteau48

cocteau48 Registered Member

Having been pointed towards this thread by babac I am following progress with much interest.
    If it is of any help to Acronis Support - and their last thread,which would appear to trying to establish first of all that your image is 100% bona fide -,I do have an image (on my ext HD) which has been used for a complete and successful restoration and yet that same image will only mount in read only format.
    Attempting to mount in read/write mode generates the same "unable to assign a drive letter" pop-up.
    When this occasionally happened in the past a reboot would cure it - but not any more.
    At the end of the day it is a function which I can live without insofar as it is not worth doing a major OS overhaul to get it to work.
    It is more of an annoyance not knowing why something which should work (and used to work) does not.

17. RetupmocSoft

RetupmocSoft Registered Member

[Problem solved...]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  18. LJGeezer

Hi Michael. I followed your instructions and validated image archive using the wizard. It stated" the operation was successfully completed" Going to your #3) my computer revealed the following:
    Partition Flags Capacity Free space Type
    FAT 16 (F:) Pri 31.35 MB 24.50 MB FAT 16 partition oxDE(EISA)
    Local C(H:) Pri,Act 74.47GB 56.92 GB NTFS

Following your #4 I checked "do not mount" and was able to mount the image.

So what does this mean? Should I click" do not mount" if I want to be able to mount an image in read/write mode?

19. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I believe the suggestion was to click "do not mount" for the EISA partion, which is special little partiton the pc maker left onthe machine, probably for recovery or for the ease of the maker's installation of programs.

20. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi,
    I did not try it as I do not understand at all these explanations.To me it's as clear as when I was told to ''try a repair ''.

21. Acronis Support

Hello babac,

Please do the following:
    1) Run Acronis True Image 10.0 Home main program.
    2) Choose "Mount Image" option from "Operations" menu.
    3) Follow the wizard instructions till you get to "Assigning Logical Drive Letters" window.
    4) Look if any of listed partitions is marked "EISA"
    5) Uncheck the respective checkbox (the choice in the drop-down menu will automatically change to "do not mount").
    6) Proceed with the wizard till finished.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

22. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi Marat,
    I proceeded as you said and found no Eisa files.
    Hope Acronis Support can bring up a solution.
    Thank you.

23. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

just to check - Eisa isn't a file it's a partition type. Just incase you looked in the wrong place.

Is it possible for you to post a screen shot of either TI 10 wizard at the mount point or perhaps a screen shot of DiskManagment.

If you need help performing this we can help.

Colin

24. babac

babac Registered Member

25. CWW

CWW Registered Member

I am using Workstation 9.1 with universal restore which I bought specifically to handle vista home premium because already owned 9.0. The system is a basic 32 bit install on machine using P35C-DS3R motherboard with Q6600 running 2 stick of memory with 2gb each with 4 each 320 GB seagate HDs and 3 DVDs; there are a ton of available drives for mounting images.

I am going to lose an account i Have spent working 5 weeks for and not get paid a dime because because of this little fiasco of no working driver for all versions of vista. I begged Acronis for help on the customer portal and was told in 24 hours I will hear from them but know now they do not have an answer so going to quit surfing and go to sleep because there is really nothing I can do now to save myself or my customer. I cannot finish 5 weeks work in one night from scratch and can see the files but not get them. The heck of it is I though I was safe having used Acronis for so many years; but bad timing on my part so it did not work when it absolutely had to save my bacon.

I got to see the files by using the seagate / maxtor free version of Disc Wizard from acronis which lets me use explore but not mount the image and can see all the files i want which is frustrating to say the least.

In fairness i have to say this is the first time Acronis has ever failed me and have been using the product ever since Symantec bought Ghost because I was convinced the product would be less than it had been. Acronis has been good. The problem will not be solved in time to save me from severe pain but will look for some alernatives so i have two backups from different vendors next time since I now know first hand how expensive and heart breaking this situation can be; five weeks of work with no money is going to make me a a lot more careful about trusting one vendor with my data next time around.

I though I was so safe. At any rate aside from the image not booting the recovery disk made on this same machine using vista is now 12 hours not 30 - 40 minutes because it only works in safe mode so in bad shape there too - incidentally the only way you will know this is if you go to actually click the install button at which point the non-safe mode fails to boot. I guess the message is do not feel safe and do not expect anything special is your business or personal income is at risk because it is not going to happen = you will hear back in 24 hours so just understand that this is the way it is and there is no recourse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.