Anyone use OpenDNS?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ratchet, Jan 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

This is probably the third time I've tried it (and the longest, about a week now) in the past two years. They imply it finds sites faster. Download testing is basically a crap shoot with all the variables going on in cyber space at any given time but I really don't ever see any speed increase, although that might be because I normally test close to 5 MBPS and at that rate things kind of even out. Their servers are 500 miles away, my ISP 60. I suppose it has some security benefits. Your opinion appreciated!
    http://www.opendns.com/

2. ethernal

ethernal Registered Member

for small businessess i can whole-heartedly recomend dnsmasq, it's very cute and we're in love. :D
    couple that with some squid lovin' and you got yourself a very very kinky threesome indeed :-*

3. dNor

dNor Registered Member

I've been using it for a while now and at first I noticed a minimal increase concerning DNS and was happy with it. Since then I haven't tested it or really put much consideration in to it.

Edit: Thinking about it, really all it offered me was typo correction and shortcuts, which I love.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  4. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I don't think it's meant to be a speed increase in the way you mean. It's more to do with resolving DNS and achieving results where your ISP may fail. Add to that the other features they offer.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

OpenDNS has nothing to do with your download speeds. It may, in some cases, improve your DNS lookups and hence perceived web browsing speed, if your existing ISP's DNS servers are on the slow side or problematic. I have used OpenDNS a few times, but find that my ISP servers are faster. So I stick with my ISP's.

6. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Several long threads here regarding OpenDNS, it will speed your surfing should there DNS caching be quicker, than your ISP. In my case I use Verizon & noticed considerable improvement. Also OpenDNS offers many more cool features. If used you shoul also configure your "router" to OpenDNS's settings also.

Also along this vain "TreeWalk", free has a survivor able cache, adds files and a new service also.

Take Care
    Rico

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yes, there is always the caching aspect of it too, I forgot about that. The cache will always be faster than an external server lookup. Treewalk is really nice, I have used that also and recommend it as well.. been a while now though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.