WinPatrol 2007

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by DasFox, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Pun intended, before I get barked at, I did a SEARCH, and I didn't find any posts I could simply reply to.

I've never heard of WinPatrol 2007. At first I just thought it was a spy/malware scanner, then I see on their site they call it a "MULTI PURPOSE SUPPORT UTILITY", hehe, good name, quite GENERAL though...

It seems like this falls more into the category of a HIPS?

I'm just wondering if it's worth it to use, if it does other things worthwhile of having...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  2. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Its more of a system monitor IMO.
    Been using WP for a couple of years.
    Free version polls(not real time)
    Paid version is in real time.
    Very useful app.
    Its not a scanner but it monitors your system and alerts if changes are made(free) / atempted (paid).
    With the option to revert back (free) / not allow (paid)

3. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

It's sort of a IDS/HIPS type of app. I used it for awhile and many others here have also. I checked the site and noticed it still is difficult to find what it does. These links should help explain more.

http://www.winpatrol.com/whyplus.html?index (This shows the free and paid comparison, but it gives you an idea of what WP does.)

http://www.winpatrol.com/features.html (On the site, this link is labeled "Support" which is somewhat misleading IMO.)

4. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

THANKS

5. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I'm a big WinPatrol fan. It's not perfect but it was one of the first free monitoring apps of it's kind (another, less sophisticated free app being Mike Lin's Startup Monitor.) Just how much safer would many users PCs be if something like WinPatrol came pre-installed from the "factory"? ;)

FWIW, the guy behind WinPatrol is Bill Pytlovany. A very interesting guy. In today's world of shifting allegiances, he is one of the shrinking numbers of developers that still care about the end user of his product... http://billpstudios.blogspot.com/2008/01/would-you-like-toolbar-with-your.html

6. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

I've been a WinPatrol Plus user for a couple of years. Very useful application for monitoring what's happening on your computer. The paid version (Plus) also has real-time monitoring. Plays very well with my other security applications. Never had any conflicts with it.

7. dave88

dave88 Registered Member

Great program, handy for monitoring/controlling startup, services, ie add ons, cookies, hidden files, active tasks.

I've never had any compatibility issues with it. Try it out, you will probably find it useful.

8. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I've used Winpatrol in the past, and may well use it in the future. Might even purchase it.
    It's one handy little application.
    The one time I was stupid enough to get myself a trojan (Zlob= SpywareQuake, a rogue) it helped prevent changes to the registry, making the cleanup a little easier. It also appears well motivated, genuine and honest.
    (Makes a cute noise, too. Can't figger out where that originates. Think it's a well guarded secret.)

9. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

I´m using Winpatrol (paid) + MS Sysinternals Autoruns, Filemon and Regmon for diagnostic and cleaning purpose. Great combo if you find something suspicious in your system.

/C.

10. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Cerxes,

Any idea which registry entries it monitors? Does the paid version really protect real time. It is available on Vist64, so it would be something to consider on the gaming box

Regards Kees

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  11. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

@Kees1958: No I don´t know which entries it monitors besides the common Run/RunOnce/RunServices/RunServicesOnce. But I do know that it isn´t monitoring in "real-time" since it doesn´t use API hooking so you can´t stop the registry from been altered. But I don´t regard Winpatrol as an application for prevention, rather as a handy tool for monitoring and cleaning in a fast and easy way the most common places where everyday malware can occur.

/C.

12. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, You are 100% right .

It is one of my very first security apps and still serves me loyally days in and days out.

You will never regret its presence even you have paid for it. :thumb: :thumb:

13. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I run the free version currently. It should warn you about serious changes, although don't consider it a HIPS.

If you do you use the free version and are maniac about resources, i would suggest an older version though. I use the 9.8.1.0:

http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=winpatrol

Because the latest is far more CPU hungry than the old one and for the free version it doesn't offer much more IMHO, to justify its CPU time. You will also notice that the current setup is 5MB as opposed to 1MB of the old one.

On the contrary, the PLUS (paid) version, justifies to use the latest version.

14. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

the latest winpatrol setup is 671 KB. he changed the installer package afaik :). nice hint on the 9.8.1.0 version thx

15. linger

linger Registered Member

Besides the common ones, Bill lists the extra registry entries that WinPatrol Pro monitors here:

http://www.winpatrol.com/morewhyplus.html#plus3

16. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

Same here! I use it to realtime and i find it very useful for disabling startup programs and delayed start ups as well! It is light and you hardly noticed it.

17. Fuzzfas

The new WinPatrol takes way less CPU than the previous release and adds keylogging protection for the free users too. So i retract my previous statement. I could say that the current version is on par with 9.8.1.0 in CPU usage and adds new feature.

http://www.winpatrol.com/upgrade.html

18. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Agreed. I have used it for years and would not be without it.

19. muf

muf Registered Member

I have used the plus version for years. I'm wondering just how good the keylogging capabilities are nowadays. I wouldn't mind realtime keylogging detection and with Winpatrol running light it may be worth it. Does anyone know how good it is and if it monitors kernel level or just system hook type?

muf

20. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

As shown with the link above, the newest version features "enhanced keylogging" but I am not certain what that entails.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  21. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Never really understood what the fuzz was all about, I´ve tested it numerous times, and everytime I saw the same things, crappy GUI and especially compared to more advanced HIPS, it hardly gives you any true protection, sometimes it just stayed quite, like it didn´t even work at all. I really don´t like this app. :rolleyes:

22. Fuzzfas

In fact, at least the free version, for me it isn't a HIPS and you 're better off with Arovax Shield (that has real time monitor for free). I consider it more a light "monitor" , that monitors some important areas and notifies you AFTER the infection is done. It says it can undo things, but at this point, i would run an on demand antivirus, because i wouldn't be sure.

23. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

winpatrol works like a status monitor. it takes "snapshot" of the actual system. if something changes it alerts you. the free version doesnt do this in realtime only the paid. its a good program that saves you many mouse clicks. everything security related is showed in a single window and you save time.

24. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Well, GUI design is a matter of personal preference. While I would not describe WP's GUI as "art" it is perfectly clear how everything works, and that's what I want in a utility. WP's strength lies in how it brings together many different types of information and features that are not usually combined, such as Startup management, installed BHO's, Services, Processes, etc. It is not meant to be a substitute for a dedicated HIPS. I think of it more as a System Information Manager then a security application - JMHO.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  25. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I have been using the paid version for a while and it has worked well for me.As for the GUI,I'll take functionality over eye candy any day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.