New Shadow Defender 1.1 beta out

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by pidbo, Jan 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pidbo

pidbo Registered Member

There is a new Shadow Defender 1.1 beta
    "Shadow Defender V1.1 Change History

Version 1.1.0.216 BETA - January 21, 2008
    New: support committing all changes when exit Shadow Mode
    New: select individual volume(s) to enter/exit Shadow Mode
    New: delete diskpt0.sys(Shadow Defender's temporary file) automatically when exit Shadow Mode
    New: some minor GUI changes"

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Tony is hard at work. Erik, seems your request is a coming. Here are a couple of screen shots. One is the option to only put specific drives into Shadow Mode, the other is just a GUI change.

Attached Files:

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

here is the best part. It allows you to choose what Drive will come out of Shadow mode on a reboot and what wont.

Attached Files:

4. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

vista?

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

32 bit.

6. maddawgz

thanks i was using returnil but had BSOD, so trying this is it the same thing? the add file folder section what is that for? if i want to save files using IDM download manager do i just add my downloads folder to the exclusion list? what about updates windows just close shadow mode down?? whats the commit now button? cheers

7. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

In terms of end results, basically yes.
    Yes on exclusions (excluded from shadowing - immediate commit). Think of "commit now" as one step between Exclusion and Shadow - it's committed as a permanent change when you decide (or not - depends on the detailed settings). For Windows updates - yes, all competing options here are basically the same - exit shadow/update/reenter shadow mode - setting an Exclusion on Windows folders would pretty much defeat the purpose of the application.

Blue

8. Xenophobe

Xenophobe Registered Member

Wow, it's looking good. :D
    I'd love to see Shadow Defender get a forum.

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I found one issue with the beta and emailed Tony. If you find any, you can post here if you wish but please send all issues to support@shadowdefender.com

thanks

10. pidbo

pidbo Registered Member

trjam
    Could you tell us what the issue with the beta was? It is still beta so can be legitimately discussed, constructive criticism can be helpful to everybody.

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

it was a defragging issue with vista.

12. pidbo

pidbo Registered Member

I notice small typo on Enter Shadow Mode part of gui. I'll drop Tony a line.

13. ShadeGTR

ShadeGTR Registered Member

"Continue after Shadow Mode" is a bit vague and can mean two different things. Does this mean that we can finally test software that require a reboot like ShadowUser?

14. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Re: shadow defender 1.1.0.216 BETA is out

Hi all,

As much as ShadowDefender is a very nice concept/software and promising indeed, an essential part as for every security (software) company is concerned is: the company structure, people on all levels involved (last but by far least) support, etc. In essence: a fair and fine working company structure.

As much as I do applaud the developer for all his efforts - and do encourage him to develop this software further and further: keep in mind this is a "one-man-effort". Merely the developer is involved, no one else. Such a concept does come with the usual hazards, especially for users.

No bad intend here. Quite a lot companies started off one and the same way. Some survived, some did not. I for one do hope this one-man-show will end up as a real solid company.

This post is merely intended as a precaution. It's just not Symantec, ESET, Kaspersky you are dealing with. Thus, don't set your standards too high - it wouldn't be fair in the first place.

In the meanwhile: all the best, Tony/ShadowDefender!

regards,

Paul

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

no for now it just means you will still be in shadow mode after reboot. All changes will be discarded.

16. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

nothing much importantt add to this beta ver. some mini minor adding. hope to see it stay in shadow mode after reebot ( keep changing)

cheers:shifty:

17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

True, very good post and point. Stability and reliability can only be measured in time. And that is what either will or will not define the future for SD. Sometimes the single operations though can make it. Tzuk with Sandboxie, Ilya with DefenseWall and I think Mike Nash are a few that come to mind. Time has what has helped to define their products and thier commitment to them. So Tony, Paul is right, it isnt up to us, but you.:)

18. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Mike Nash is the leader of a team. Tallemu isn't a single man operation :)

19. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

I have to say I'm impressed with this program so far mainly because it handles the multiple partitions on my HD very well. Past a few tests I threw at it, Julie Lau's sector editor unable to write to shadowed partitions and large 2Gig files that I deleted on a shadowed partition came back on reboot :D I'm liking it alot right now, interface is so user friendly and easily understood. :thumb:

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

then I apologize, and stand corrected. I just thought his middle name was Tallemu.;)

21. pidbo

pidbo Registered Member

I think I prefer the "feel" of the gui structure in Version 1.0.0.130 for some reason.
    I like that the tray icon in Version 1.0.0.130 has an "Exit Shadow Defender" and "Open Shadow Defender" on it's right click menu.
    1.1.0.216 beta Version just has "Open Shadow Defender" on it's tray icon right click menu.
    I'm not sure how I feel about the default "mode setting" changes.

22. QQ2595

QQ2595 Registered Member

Great news.

I just download the 1.1 beta and had a try. The committing all changes was very cool. I like this function very much.:)

BTW, there ware some weird things when I try it in XP SP2.
    when I copy the XP SP3 file(256MB) to a exclusion folder in shadow mode, it take 10 mins and some error message of "write dealy of $MFT" shown in the tray icon while copying.
    when I exited the shadow mode, I try again. it only take 35 secs to finish the copy.

in a word, the new beta is quite nice.:thumb:

23. maddawgz

Anyone find it slow to boot up pc? im on 2gig too, core duo.also question? does anyone find turning of on anoying for instance i see this appz ok for browsers emailers..but when it comes to saving alot of things or downloading you would have to keep turning it off and on yes to keep the downloads you want permanantly or installs of programs..can you turn it off without a reboot so if i wanted to install or keep something, i wont loose it on reboot? I am using the version prior to beta

24. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

LOL maddawgz, I suggest you install the current release and then decide if you wanna ask the same question or not.

25. maddawgz

ok installing it beta...yes alot better, what kind of things do you guys put in exclusion list?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.