System hangs/freezes after Real-time file system protection enabled

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by MidSpeck, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MidSpeck

MidSpeck Registered Member

I have a problem that I'm not sure these forums can solve, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

Have a Windows Server 2003 R2 box on which I've installed NOD32 v3 Business Edition. This server is also hosting RAS, RAC, and a RAS mirror. The basic problem is that whenever I enable the Real-time file system protection in NOD32 on the server, the system will hang. This doesn't happen right away, in fact, I can turn it on Friday evening and it will run all the way until Monday morning when everyone starts working on it. So it has to be under some load to happen -- I'm not sure exactly what causes it since it seems to happen "randomly" at that point...

When the system hangs, I can still ping it. However, I lose Remote Desktop capabilities and all the file sharing shuts down as well. The physical mouse and keyboard don't respond and the server has to be shut down hard. Nothing shows up in the event logs except for an unexpected shutdown.

I can have Email protection and Web access protection enabled without any problem. I can do a manual computer scan and it successfully completes.

I have two other Window Server 2003 boxes where NOD32 is working just as I would expect it to. Hmm, I guess it's not the R2 version, though.

Anyway, without being able to recreate the problem during the night, I can't obviously do a lot of testing. Does anyone have any pointers on where I can look or start? By the way, I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling without success.

Edit: Wonder if this thread is related: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=197567

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  2. EnGenie

EnGenie Registered Member

My troublesome server is not the R2 variant of Windows 2003.

We have 2 other R2 servers and these work just fine.

When the server becomes inaccessible I have found that physically disconnecting it from the LAN for a minute or so then reconnecting it to the Ethernet switch seems to resolve the problem for a while.
    Alternatively I can reboot the server.

There seems to be no sign of a high CPU load while the fault persists.

I am baffled o_O

3. MidSpeck

MidSpeck Registered Member

For those who are interested, CrookedBloke has been carrying on a meaningful thread here trying to track down the root of these problems. No solutions yet. Currently, he is asking for hardware configurations to see if it can be tracked down to certain RAID/hard drive controllers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.