Slow boot with errors

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Neoxellos, Jan 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neoxellos

Neoxellos Registered Member

Since last week my system needed 2 minutes more then usual to boot or reboot. And it began right after I changed my configuration to RAID. I checked and found I had several error messages in the windows logs. Some critical! Mostly about PreShellInit and degradation time.
    Found that in application logging=>microsoft=>windows=>diagnostics-performance=>operational

So I tried to find out what was related to this problem. Installed newest Intel matrix storage console, uninstalled TrueImage, uninstalled Nero infotool, no difference. I even tried vista SP1 RC. That didn't help.

Now I found out uninstalling ESS solved the issue. Looks like ESS and RAID don't go very well together? Or maybe a combination of vista and Intel RAID?

I installed NOD32 2.7 yesterday and no problem at all.

Does anybody have any experience with this? I have sent a bug report to Eset also.

Vista 64
    Intel ICH9R SATA RAID controller
    Core 2 Duo E6850
    Asus P5K deluxe
    4G corsair DDR2 SDRAM
    2X Seagate 250G

2. stueycaster

stueycaster Registered Member

My system is set up in RAID1 and I have no problems. It starts up in 1 minute to when the ESS splash screen shuts off.

XP x64
    VIA VT8237 SATA RAID

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  3. whereisglenn

whereisglenn Registered Member

I have a very similar setup RAID1 on ICH9R and had the exact same problems. The only solution that solved this slow boot and startup after logging in was the removal of ESS and the install of NOD32 v2.7. These problems occurred on a fresh OS install Vista 32bit SP1 RTM. My machine was rock solid before this fresh install with NOD v2.7.

It is important to add that the slow start up only occured on the RAID Volume after a system lock up that caused a rebuild of the Raid Array. Again I believe this lock up was caused by ESS as there wasn't any other application installed and vista has all its updated installed.

Has anyone else running raid on ICH8R or ICH9R had similar problems? I agree that both intel matrix raid and ESET are not playing nicely.

4. Klaus_1250

Klaus_1250 Registered Member

I maintain a somewhat similar setup for someone (Vista 32, ICH9R SATA RAID, E6420, 2GB DDR2 SDRAM, 2X 320GB), and have performance issues as well. I took NOD v2 out of the equitation, but little effect (outlook 2007 started workng normally though). Still very poor performance. Tweaked it and removed everything not essential, and performance is reasonable to poor.

AFAIK, I just being Vista. I'm not sure what it does all the time, or how it does the things it do, or why it is doing what it does, but it seems to be keeping itself busy. If SP1 doesn't solve the issues, I'll be installing XP with an Aero skin.

5. shansmi

shansmi Registered Member

I have two RAID 0' in striping mode on my machine plus a second machine with a RAID 0 in Mirrored mode - no issues on either machine and the second machine is running the Intel RAID software. The first is running nVidia RAID software.

Most of the problems ya'll are referring to are caused by one of 2 applications. Superfetch which is supposed to speed up performance over time by letting windows learn your habits (that seems not to be working so well) and the one accessing the disk all the time is Windows Search.

To improve performance, right click on your hard drvies and uncheck the "Index this drive" box....say ok and do all files... then go into the services list and stop/disable Superfetch and Windows Search ......worked for my two machines.

Also I have noticed the RAID 0 mirror on Vista is kinda slow but that can be also a function of drive access times. I noticed a big improvement with my newer machines that also use RAID 0. The older ones used mirror which is basically just a clone of 2 disks but RAID 0 striping puts the data split between two disks so one disk is feed data into RAM while the other is retrieveing data to be put in RAM ...very big improvement and both machines had the same mobo, processor, hard drive access speed, OS and RAM. On my latest machines with 2 RAID 0's, the OS drive is a Raptor 10K RPM fast access drive....big jump in performance....

Outlook 2007 can get slow if one turns on RSS. I made sure to turn this off plus I archve my PST file regularly as well as compact it (I try to keep it below 20MB). I have never seen Office run so fast .....

Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.