Using Eaz Fix

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by djg05, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Empath

Empath Registered Member

What are the .ebi files you speak of? Where are they created, and under what circumstances?

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I'll re-hook up my drive with EAZ-FIX tonight and get back to you by reply with some more info and screenshots for you on this because i am relatively new to EAZ-FIX myself as opposed to FD-ISR. I found nothing in the Users Guide at all regarding them unless they were either omitted or overlooked my me, but i'm relatively sure ebi is the EAZ-FIX's image file. More to come...........

EASTER

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  3. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

The image files on mine have a ego extension.

Have you tried a restore from image yet?

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Not yet, but i will. If what i seen so far from EAZ-FIX is any indication, i don't expect any issues. I am surprisingly amazed how versatile and dependable it's been compared to what i went thru before with you know what.

5. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

@Easter,

I have Roolback 8.1 but have not tried to use it much yet but are you saying that Eaxx-Fix is different in some way than RB 8.1 that you believe makes it more stable? Wondeer what these differences boil down to because people keep saying they are the same.

Gary

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Maybe Gary, maybe not. RollbackRx 8.1 is reported to have improved a lot of bugs and issues from the version 8 that completely ruined my confidence in it. But if it is equal now in any way to EAZ-FIX then they can rest more comfortably i suppose.

I just wonder which one is the CLONE and which is the original? And if there is some differences which i venture to say there must be, at least one is the GUI anyway, because they both make images, duplicates=snapshots, demand their own defragging or look out. But EAZ-FIX is not shown the least problem for me, maybe RollbackRx's 8.1 is better now too, but at least one previous FANATIC of it in Chris12923 says he won't use it now because of a problem that's now lingered for weeks if not months, or so he says.

EAZ-FIX is more stable? I cannot say when put up against Rollback's 8.1, only what that member is complained about with it.

I have no such complaints with EAZ-FIX. It works, and i mean every single feature to perfection for me so far without a hint of a problem.

7. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

The current version of Rollback is very reliable,a great piece of software-you cant compare previous versions of RBx with current versions of EaziFix-now come on-be fair!

I'm sure they all use similar engines and any differences would be only in detail,possibly as some are based on different versions.
    Have tried out 2 of the other3 and they do seem to be based on versions older than RBx.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  8. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

They are one in the same program. Eaz-Fix is now version 8.1 just like Rollback Rx is 8.1. At the time you used Rollback Easter I assume it was version 8 and at that same time Eaz-Fix was version 8 so if you would have used it it would have given you the same issue. You mentioned me saying Rollback 8.1 has an issue for me, but...Eaz-Fix 8.1 of course gives me the same issue as Rollback Rx 8.1. It is very uncommon issue so they are not pressed to fix it as most vendors would feel the same way. Some software just can not and will not work the way they should on all PC's 100% of the time. I still love Rollback and will use it again immdiately once a new version is released that doesn't cause this issue.

Thanks,

Chris

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Very true, but past frustrations can't help but easily bubble over if you been a victim to a company which fell short in their responsibilities to do right by the consumer, their paying customer, before turning something out in the open like they did with version 8 and all the troubles it welcome you with right out of the box from jump street.

I'm not a bit daunted by this EAZ-FIX 8.1 as with the previous RollbackRx and the issues with it, you say they are both the same. Then why do they originate from different locations according to their respective websites? I don't dispute that as fact, just cautiously curious.
    http://www.eazsolution.com/

10. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

What was the problem he reported with rollback? I temporarily morphed my windows server 2003 into xp, for the purposes of trying these two programs.

I must say that rollback rx 8.1 and eaz-fix 8.1 installed and behaved in exactly the same way, except one negative issue I had with rollback, which was that upon restart or shutdown, the system wouldn't reboot/shutdown, but would instead go into some type of hibernation (i'd have to press reset).

Other than that they both seemed to function fine - I did try taking a couple snapshots and booting around into them, and everything seemed to work ok.

Both rollback and eaz-fix co-existed ok with fdisr, no bluescreens or what have you. Only, I noticed that after the rollback bootscreen, once the fdisr rescue screen came up, if I chose to move into another (fdisr)snapshot besides the one that rollback was installed in, i'd get a reboot, ad infinitum, until I again allowed the system to boot into the snapshot on which rollback was installed.

That concluded my brief testing with eaz-fix/rollback-rx, I then uninstalled and reverted back to true windows server 2003 form.

Thanks,
    Chrome

11. Hairy Coo

Easter-Afraid I cant agree with you on this one.

I used RBx well before version 8 and never had any problems whatsoever-some people did-others didnt.
    I really had no complaints against the company so certainly wouldnt like to generalize and brand them as harshly as you have.

My understanding is that a few current members did have some other than perfect experiences and I think Peter was one of them,but he is now saying he is satisfied with the RBx reliability etc.

Its a mystery who actually developed the original and nobody seems to know.

Whoever the original developer was,has obviously granted rights to the four(at least) companies to operate independently and from different sites.

Of course, one of the four may well have been the original developer.

12. Hairy Coo

I personally never take too much notice about one random complaint-you cant judge anything like that.

I dont think the two like co-existing which may explain the few irregularities-they should both function extremely well normally and in my experience.

edit;Chris has explained the situation-but it was an uncommon issue,so to use this to criticize isnt at all fair.

13. Chris12923

14. Hairy Coo

Pretty minor issue Chris,or at least it would be for me!

15. Chris12923

Yes it is minor but now I have to use two softwares to do the same job. I really like the thought of having the ability to resore on restart..etc.

Thanks,

Chris

16. chrome_sturmen

Thanks for the link chris - what two programs must you use to accomplish your task? I saw your mention of wanting to restore on restart, so you must not be using fdisr, as it has a frozen snapshot function which would do that.

17. Chris12923

I use fdisr and returnil as of now. My version of FDISR is the latest from HDS which does not have that freeze option.

Thanks,

Chris

18. chrome_sturmen

Ah, I see. I have used fdisr for about a year and a half now, and have never utilized it's freeze function. While it has it's appeal, the thing is that I don't see how one could update bookmarks, or make other beneficial changes to the system. I guess one could have an unfreeze/re-freeze day, whereon one thawed the snapshot, applied the desired changes, and then re-froze.

It would be easy enough for larger or more important desired changes to be remembered and applied, but what about smaller, less significant changes? If one used a boot to restore solution, I guess one would have to write down or otherwise somehow keep track of every good change, so on that snapshot thaw day, these could be applied?

19. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

I had a similar problem on v8.1 and HDS support gave me a workaround which was to enter 'lockdisk=0' in the sub-console system menu. That cured it for me.

Graham

20. Chris12923

hmm.. maybe i'll give it a go. But I'm really suprised Andrew never mentioned it to me..

Thanks,

Chris

21. Chris12923

Actually you are correct it appears they are all the same technology/product invented by Andrew W. Shen, Hanxiang Sun and Zhang Jian with the first patent back in 1999 it appears http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...50&s1=7313726.PN.&OS=PN/7313726&RS=PN/7313726 . First big product was Inaquick Rescue http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/19602 . One more http://www.freshnews.com/news/tech-people-move/article_13385.html?Xerox . Great product even back in the day :)

Thanks,

Chris

22. Hairy Coo

Congratulations,Chris,you solved the mystery everyone has wondered about:thumb:
    Very interesting!

23. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

My problem was similar to Chrome's in that I was getting a hang on shutting down or going into standby. Yours is not quite the same but as the restore on reboot now takes place on shutdown rather than on boot up then it might be worth trying.

Graham

24. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

1. It is true I wasn't able to break RBx 8.1, and I really abused it. I did power resets of the machine during registry cleans, boot ups at various stages, etc. Trashed some snapshots, but Rollback never failed to boot cleaning into a good snapshot.

2. IF you are going to use it with FDISR, you need to install Rollback in both or all snapshots. It worked although I did get a chkdsk run once. Since HDS doesn't recommend this, and since they don't formally support Raid 0 i just uninstalled Rollback

My issue was the imaging issue not stability.

Pete

25. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

EASTER, "demand their own defragging or look out", can you please expound? Thank You!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.