SCRAP YARD PARTITION CORRECTS INTERNET MELTDOWN

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by cortez, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cortez

cortez Registered Member

After using the new Comodo firewall for a week or so my second XP home partition refused to connect to the internet at all. Comodo failed to show up or turn on so I believe it has something to do with Comodo.

These were all shut down:

1. Microsoft Download site

2. Internet Explorer

3. Fire FoX browser

4. AT&T browser

I could have re-imaged but instead tried a repair from a different (my "spare parts" XP partition). I opened Windows Explored and went into the spare parts partition and opened Internet Explorer from it's Windows Folder location.

Yes it did 'boot' up into the internet and from there I downloaded Internet Explorer 7 to attempt a repair (This has worked before on corrupted partitions, but with files from its own partition itself).

Internet Explorer 7 was downloaded (it took longer than usual but I believe that IE7 repairs a corrupted IE6) and "RUN" (as using the IE7 CD did not work). After rebooting as requested the "no internet" XP partition was now working correctly!

A Comodo window asked if a repair or a reinstall was wanted, so I chose the repair and then Comodo now also works OK.

IE7 D partition.JPG

I realize this tricky use of applications from a non booted XP partition can cut both ways and end up causing trouble, but with a large partition it can save time enough to use the partition very fast (and later restore if necessary).

Not for the faint of heart or the extra cautious I would think. But another workaround using DD10 formed partitions.

Note: the IE Explorer.exe icon from the IE7 folder is from a different XP partition but allows itself to be opened (just double click it) on a XP partition where the internet does not work at all.

IE7 somehow repairs the 'services' needed to get connected to the internet in this case.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.