How to delete a quarantined file ?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Khane, Dec 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khane

Khane Registered Member

The Quarantine window says: "Object that cannot be cleaned are quarantined safely before being deleted"

How can I delete a quarantined file ? When I right click on a quarantined file I got the following options : add/restore to/remove/submit to analysis. I guess that the "remove" option may be the right one but I am not sure that it really means "delete". How can I "delete" the file?

Thanks

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi !

I hope you release what ..... question you are asking .

From the English dictionary - Cambridge university:

Remove:
    1) to take something or someone away from a place
    2) to take off clothing
    3>>> to get rid of something (usually a problem)
    4) to take away someone's power or position

Enjoy the Christmas :thumb:

3. Khane

Khane Registered Member

No I don't release but I do realize what question I am asking

I know exactly what I am asking. Does "remove" on the drop down menu appearing when I right click on a quarantined file in Nod32 means "delete" (erased ) or does it mean that the file is only "removed" somewhere else in Nod32 but not deleted? As I said in my previous post "I guess that the "remove" option may be the right one but I am not sure that it really means "delete". Sorry dude I am not a computer geek but just a average dummy (an Infrequent Poster) who wants to be sure that is PC is clean.

Sure "remove" can mean to "get rid of something (usually a problem)", but that's only one option, an other one being as you also quote :

"to take something ....from a place"....which does not mean "deleted" but put something into an other place.
    "to take off clothing" ...sure but that does mean the clothing is deleted just put somewhere else in the room
    "to take away someone's power or position"...Cool but I want to be sure that the guy is deleted and does not hide somewhere

Happy Christmas to you too :D

4. jjenni

jjenni Registered Member

i am wondering the same thing.
    right now if you right click the quarantined file and look close when you highlight remove the letters del are on the far right.
    i think the drop down box is maybe wrapping the delete option or they combined remove and delete.
    maybe someone from eset could confirm this as a bug or a feature.

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

With ESET a file in quarantine means that the malicious file is deleted from its original location . This makes the modern malware harmless . ESET products make an encrypted (secure) copy of the file which is in quarantine . There is no software on your computer that can start the encrypted files so they are harmlessy kept in case further investigation is needed :)

6. Khane

Khane Registered Member

Thank you very much. Now you are really helping :thumb:

I wish you a Merry Christmas and very Good Year

Khane

7. Starreh

Starreh Registered Member

Hi there!

I've been looking for a solution to my problem everywhere but couldn't seem to find any, and this thread was the closest to what I was looking for.

Anyway, I had NOD32 quarantine my infected files, but now all my diskspace is taken with the encrypted copies of the files. When I click the "Remove" option from the context menu, it says, "Removing file from quarantine failed."

What I wanted to ask, how do I physically delete the copied/encrypted files from my machine?

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

@Starreh

Boot in Safe Mode , make sure you can see hidden files/folders , manually navigate to

C:\Documents and Settings\~username~\Local Settings\Application Data\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\Quarantine and delete the files inside the Quarantine folder

9. Starreh

Starreh Registered Member

You're a legend, HiTech boy, thanks a LOT!

(Весело посрещане на новата година :р)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.