The Best Disk Cleaner

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DVD+R, Dec 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I sent the Sweepi file (Sweepi5.4.00_full_Setup_EN.exe) to VirusTotal and it was flagged by three of the scanners. One flagged it, as it seems to do every file I send there, o_O as "Heuristic: Suspicious Self Modifying File", so I don't pay much attention to it's results. The other two results have me a little curious about what they are refering to about Sweepi. Does anyone know what this result means..."No threat detected, but known vulnerabilities exist" or "BlockReason.0"?

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Interesting alright.

The claim still is as a clean & safe program at least described here. Time: Sun Mar 23 04:55:09 2008

http://www.download3k.com/Antivirus-Report-Sweepi.html

Let us know if anything fishy crops up.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Softpedia also claims Sweepi as clean. In addition Secunia doesnt have any vulnerabilities listed for Sweepi.

Lastly a FYI for those who may be wondering: "No threat detected, but known vulnerabilities exist" is from FileAdvisor and "BlockReason.0" is from Webwasher.

4. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

trust me the people at YOO Applications are honest,i got a good feeling alone by how Sweepi do his workings,can't explain.It should be FP.;)

5. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I've used Sweepi for about two years. It will show that it removed x amount but in reality it's often the total amount it found not removed. Many security apps guard their bak files, they can't be removed but Sweepy will still list them. CCleaner can be easily configured to clean anything Sweepi can. Not saying it's not a good prog just not utopia. NCleaner is just as robust, so if you measure these apps by what they can/try to remove they are all about the same but some being more reckless than others. Just stick with CCleaner!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I tried Ncleaner about two months ago and I can honestly say that it was one of the very worst products I have ever used. It is an extremely aggressive cleaner and does not uninstall properly. After an attempt at a basic cleaning I had to reinstall Windows and Office. Then Ncleaner would not uninstall. Finally got it off my system using using other programs to do so. Ncleaner is a horrid product. No if's, and's or but's about it.

7. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

What all these cleaners do,they CLEAN,some more ,some less,so whats the point. Any cleaner used one a regular basis,keeps your disk pretty clean. ;)

Have no experience with Ncleaner though.

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Well, I ran Sweepi on my clean system partition, because I use a clean FDISR-archive to clean my actual system partition.
    So I wanted to know how much Sweepi cleans more than my clean archive.

Sweepi does indeed clean more, BUT what Sweepi cleans more re-appears after reboot, like .ini-files, .log-files, ...
    Sweepi tried to clean Applications, but didn't find anything.
    So it doesn't make much difference, if I use Sweepi or not.

The Application Cleanup of Sweepi is very poor, only 3 applications :
    - Windows Media Player
    - Microsoft Wordpad
    - Mozilla Firefox
    while my clean archive, cleans ALL applications without exception.

No existing cleaner is able to clean ALL applications, because that is practical impossible, because there are too many softwares in the world.
    So my clean archive is the best disk cleaner, because my clean archive is based on a clean, UNUSED system partiton. :)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  9. Long View

Long View Registered Member

All the same its amazing how much junk Microsoft leave behind. Even if ONLY installing Xp and updates quite a lot of sliming down is possible. If Office is added vast amounts of unnecessary dead end files remain.

Although Sweepi does not impress some sort of housecleaning is not a bad idea.
    The good thing is that with an image it is possible to manually remove much of the uninstall junk. If too much is removed then a system restore or re-install of the relevant program and all is well again.

10. ErikAlbert

It's not only Microsoft, that creates junk, most softwares do and in some case it's removed completely or partly by cleaners, but not always.
    I didn't investigate every software on my computer, but I did investigate DVD Shrink that creates garbage that isn't cleaned by any of my cleaners. If there is one software, there must be more of them.
    I knew about DVD Shrink only after reading my FDISR-logs.

My clean archive contains nothing but unused applications, so these junk files don't exist yet and when my clean archive is compared with my actual/used system partition, all those junk files are automatically removed, even the ones I didn't know about and that counts for all installed applications.

11. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

12. ErikAlbert

That's good, if you can manipulate the cleaner, but too much work for me to find out, which and where files have to be cleaned.
    I don't need to do any research or manual work to clean my system partition, my clean archive knows by itself which and where junk needs to be removed.

13. atlantis

atlantis Registered Member

14. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Come now to same conclusion,yes find more then others but does't delete the find .bak files among others Hmmmmm.....

If they are hooked by their app. then how would CCleaner manage these ?

15. Long View

Long View Registered Member

After trying sweepi I found 2 programs that started to install when I tried to use them and a reported error from outlook2007. Restored the image made before installing sweepi and problem solved. I don't know how old this program is but suspect that it needs to develop a little more before becoming a contender ?

16. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

CCleaner cant just delete by file types (and it has been denied as a feature request).

17. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Different experience,i let Sweepi delete anything it find,sofar no weird behavior or anything.Problem is it let stuff untouched marked for deletion.

18. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Yes Huupi, that is exactly what I meant. Old EasyCleaner tells you what it couldn't delete and of course CCleaner just tells you what it removed.

19. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Well it picked up a whole bunch of thumbs.db files that were left after I ran a search and delete and ran thumbs.db viewer. And it threw my winrar program back into a trial period. How can Ccleaner be used to accomplish this?

20. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

It's only a clean archive until used. In other words, if you update your system with that clean archive, the moment your system is that clean archive, it's no longer 'clean' because of temp files etc. Sure, you can update with the clean archive again and again.

Incidentally, how do you go about updating system files of that clean archive? Do you create a snapshot with that clean archive, update the OS then update the clean archive? If you do that, you'd have to do some cleanup before updating the archive to ensure it's clean.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  21. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Ccleaner does find thumb files. I've seen it delete thumbs.db files.

22. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i use ccleaner and jv16powertools. imo jv16 is the best out there registry wise. and it will clean what ccleaner doesnt. i run ccleaner on a average basis and i use jv16 at times i feel its needed..jv16 does everything i can want

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.