Windows will not boot after restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by BruceB, Dec 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BruceB

BruceB Registered Member

I have imaged my laptop and installed new hard drive. Windows will not boot. I have tried to restore several windows machines and I always have to reinstall windows. What am I doing wrong.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

What version and build of True Image?
    What OS, XP or Vista?
    Are the drives SATA or IDE?
    What make and model of laptop is this? Dells seem to have problems with TI.

3. BruceB

BruceB Registered Member

I am using TI Home 11
    Windows XP SP2
    EIDE hard drive
    Dell laptop D810

I have had this problem on other systems also. Mostly home grown systems and always with Windows XP SP2. I never have a problem with Linux.

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Search the forum for other users with Dells and see what problems they had and the eventual solution.

5. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

Hi bruceB... after your current predicaments with the recent Dell machine using a TI were fixed, may i suggest an alternative?

Try this newest member of the reknown software-LIBRE - cloneZilla ....CloneZilla-Live on another Dell notebook and see how it perform against a subscribed HDD cloning tool when working on win2000/XPs.

CloneZilla-Live were developed and GNU-published, specifically for use on cloning "individual" (or few) rig's HDD.

Here is the url ~ http://clonezilla.sourceforge.net/clonezilla-live/

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello BruceB,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please clarify the exact sequence of actions performed step by step? Please also clarify, are there any error messages? When exactly do they appear? What exactly do they say?

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

7. Roeda

Roeda Registered Member

BruceB,

I've found this post on another forum, perhaps this will help.

Roeda

I tried to backup a single system partition, ignoring Master Boot Record and other boot information. The process went smooth, I was even able to resize system partition to fit the exact new HD capacity but… the new HD couldn’t boot. A simple procedure is given by Acronis to fix this well known issue:

Quote:
    Boot up from the Windows Bootable CD, then go to the Recovery Console (the first Repair option you come to). From the command prompt please type:
    FIXMBR DISK
    FIXBOOT DISK
    where DISK is the partition letter of the new hard drive/partition where you have restored the image.
    BOOTCFG /rebuild

I tried and succeeded. Nothing more to say.

8. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

Verify your drive letters. With windows xp , everytime I have had a restored hard drive not bootup it's always been the drive letters. It happens mainly when you try to restore a larger partition onto a smaller partition.
    If it is a drive letter problem, you need to get into the registry of the non-booting partition and change it back.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=174958

9. Acronite

Acronite Registered Member

On the last command I get

Any ideas what to enter?

10. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Load Indentifier - can be whatever you want it to be. It is the name you see flash up on the black menu bootscreen.

OS Load Options - you can leave this blank, or add in extra instruction such as /SOS - which replaces that ever so pretty black Dancing Windows screen at boot up, with a scrolling list of startup files and services being started.

Colin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.