New 2.06p2 version

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Frederic, Dec 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

Since LnsSvcVista is there and "Security Center registration Ok." is present in the console, everything seems to be Ok for Look 'n' Stop.
    Could you make a screenshot of the firewall part of the security center panel (like you did for Nod32/AV part).

Thanks,

Frederic

2. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i know because i read in this forum , many users with look and stop have many issue with p2p

3. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Could you be more specific ? What are these other problems ?

Frederic

4. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

The only known issue was with the TCP SPI, and especially because the internal connexion table was too small. This was improved a lot in recent releases, and now the table can go upt to 1024 entries.
    Of course you need to configure properly the packet filter with the ports you would like to open, like you would do for an hardware router. This sometimes is a bit complicated, because p2p uses various ports.
    By the way, don't forget p2p and security are a bit antinomic, and especially you don't know what the p2p software will send exactly. If the configuration is easier with some other firewalls, maybe the security level is impacted.

Frederic

5. ChickC

ChickC Registered Member

Frederic,
    After looking around for hours with Google I am beginning to wonder if Nod 32 screwed up my Repository File and the solution is to delete it and Vista rebuild it. But hopeing that you have a better solution.

Thanks

Attached Files:

6. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi ChickC,

I'm sorry, I don't know what happens there :(
    First time I'm encountering this kind of problem.

Maybe something has changed in the way to register to the security center in the version of Windows you are using, and both Look 'n' Stop and Nod32 are no longer compatible. This is what the error message is suggesting for the antivirus part.
    However I've tried the SP1 and I haven't encounter this issue.

It is possible to get more info, by setting the verbose mode for the Look 'n' Stop service. Since it could take some time to setup (some registry value to change, some additional tool to use and configure...), and probably several posts will be required to setup this properly, let me know if you would like to go further in the investigation.

Instead of completely rebuilding Vista, maybe you could use a restoration point.

Regards,

Frederic

7. ChickC

ChickC Registered Member

Frederic,

I think I'll try and rebuild the Repository File tomorrow and see if that does any good. It really seems to be a pretty easy procedure as described here http://vista.blorge.com/2008/01/09/...from-reporting-missing-or-duplicate-programs/
    I have a complete image of the drives and if I get into trouble that I cannot solve with a restoration point I can always come back that way. The big problem is that I have had this problem since day one when I installed Nod32 and I have no roll back point before that.

I'll let you know tomorrow how I make out with rebuilding the Repository after and if I hear anymore from ESET.

Your software is a great product and you back it up!
    Chick

8. shaunwang

shaunwang Registered Member

Before I installed LooknStop 2.06p2 , I had the same problem as you, like I have comodo and Eset Security Suite Firewall.... The link you provided works.. I did that before.

Now my Windows Vista only shows LooknStop in the Windows Security Center

9. mantra

mantra Registered Member

in this forum i read that look and stop slow down the p2p
    yes i know p2p is dangerous , but some mp3 or some tv shows could pass are not dangerous;)

10. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i have only a question
    did you thing about a feature that look and stop could download by the servers preset/rules pre made
    i know there many preset in the homepage
    i mean something like outpost that can download rules pre made for many many many programs

11. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

The security problem is not what you are downloading.
    The problem is the p2p software requires a lot of open ports, and the p2p software can download/upload data on the ports you have open without informing you.

Frederic

12. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

The problem is to identify which preset has to be downloaded, and the problem is to create all the presets for any application using any specific port.
    Then downloading the file is very easy, it requires just a single click on the Web page with the 2.06 version.
    Having all presets displayed in Look 'n' Stop, or having presets available on a web page is quite the same.

Frederic

13. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i tried look and stop and i have to say that is the best firewall i have seen

i tried on xp and vista and works really great and and is amazing light

the only point that i don't like is:
    well i'm an outpost users (so i'm used to have confidence with outpost)
    what i miss is what have outpost(well i like more look and stop then outpost , but outpost is so easy ) , with outpost when i run a program outpost with a windows let me to block allow and make specific rules and that is very easy and in real time

look and stop with a feature like this could be amazing , i know in the last version i can do it with the log

but i really very easy make a rules in real time , and see what a program try to do ...

why don't make a plugins that emulate such feature?

i reapeat look and stop is the best i have seen , a such feature will make look and stop really very easy!

14. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Thanks mantra for your appreciation.

Yes, in the current version Application Filtering and Internet Filtering are separated and you don't get in real time (through popups) which ports/IP an application is using.
    Maybe this will be improved in the future version.

However by selecting the full log attribute (!!) in Application Filtering, for a particular application, you can see the ports an application has connected to.

Frederic

15. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Great firewall!
    As several people try to claim, I do not experience any slowdown on my bandwidth when using P2P-applications. I'm currently maxing out my upload just fine (1 mb/s). Even sometimes when I'm connected to 150+ peers I'm maxing out both download and upload limits.
    However, why is not SPF activated by default?

16. mantra

mantra Registered Member

can i do some quesions because i'm plain to switch and buy look and stop

1) can i let look and stop by pass a software? i mean allow , and let look and stop don't apply rules

2) if there a help file to download , so i can read it before install for ever look and stop

3)about the pop up windows to blow allow and make rules in realtime is a feature that we can see soon or ... ?
    is enough a plugins to have such feature

best regards

2)

17. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Thanks!
    Do you have sole alerts in Look 'n' Stop log ? Maybe the initial size of the TCP table is not enough.
    Because it is considered as an advanced feature though.
    And it seems some tuning is still required to have it working completely.

Frederic

18. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

For the Application Filteringn yes, and this is the default.
    For Internet filtering, no you can't. This is a packet filter and if the software is using special ports (especially in server mode), the packet filter needs to be configured.
    Here is a link to get the help separately:
    http://www.looknstop.com/En/index2.htm
    Also this thread contains useful information:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=83498
    It is not possible to have plugin handling that.
    I don't know yet if something will be added in the next release to improve this part.

Frederic

19. mantra

mantra Registered Member

20. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

21. daniel952

daniel952 Registered Member

Is it possible to get the Visual C++ Runtime, and install it manually? When I attempt to install LnS, I get a prompt to connect to the internet to install a file, I presume that this is the Visual C++ it wants to download and mentions this in a prompt. I don't like downloading files over the internet on an admin account, so if its possible to get what I need to update LnS manually, please help me do this. I have been a LnS firewall user for several years, and its solid.

22. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Go here :)

23. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Or here, for x64 ;)

Frederic

24. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Or here for the latest redist :)

25. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Oops, time to update :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.