ZoneAlarm Free 7.0.462.0

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Vettetech, Dec 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Zone Alarm Free has now been updated to the latest version. Still has the long boot up with the Welcome screen but overall not a bad product. Dont know how it will do against Comodo and Online Armor since both of them have HIPS and Zone does not. Any takers? Here is the link.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/ZoneAlarm_Free_d388.html

2. david banner

david banner Registered Member

Does it try to insatll BHO ? see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54667301&posted=1#post54667301

Will Comodo free operate in stealth mode

3. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Hmm! I looked up the CLSID for that BHO, I didn't get a hit so I suspect it relates to the SpyBlocker toolbar - there's something on that here:-

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1078465

You don't have to install it if you don't want it - you are offered it on install.

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

As TopperId mentioned and according to the change log info at the Check Point site it installs the Spyblocker toolbar if that option is selected.

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/information/znalm/zaReleaseHistory.html#7.0.462.000

5. david banner

Do you know if Comodo free has stealth. As far as I can see from their site it hasn't. Since the toolbar is optional will probably stay with ZA

6. Bluenile

Bluenile Registered Member

Yes Comodo free is fully stealthed by default.

7. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

8. miekiemoes

miekiemoes Spyware Fighter

9. Piecan

Piecan Registered Member

I just tried to download the above version and Nod popped up that it was a virus.:eek: Is that really the latest version as the one I installed and tried from the Zonealarm site on the 11th was version 7.1.78.0 (vista)? Sadly I had problems with it as it slowed my internet and wouldn't let Firefox open sometimes.

10. dNor

dNor Registered Member

11. 1commander

1commander Registered Member

I'm new, what's stealthed mean when applied to firewalls?

12. FadeAway

FadeAway Registered Member

A firewall which stealths ports does not allow your operating system to
    reply to unsolicited inbound packets. In other words, the packet may be
    sent to you, but since you don't reply, the sender does not know you
    are there. You are invisible to any computer with which you have not
    established a connection. Unsolicited packets are automatically rejected
    without notification to the sender.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  13. david banner

You can check if your firewall is stealthed by taking the Shields Up test at www.grc.com

14. 1commander

1commander Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. Sorry to jump in on the thread.

15. david banner

You're welcome
    No problem

16. Piecan

Piecan Registered Member

Anyone else get a virus warning when downloading from the above link? Is it because of the toolbar? Is this version newer than the 7.1.78.0? Thanks

17. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I got a warning from NOD when I tried to download another program which included the Ask toolbar (spysweeper). NOD just quarantined it.

18. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

One thing that annoys the hell outta me, is that ZA has started to automatically add programs that never even asked for permission to access the internet/lan. It makes a huge mess when you're trying to keep at least some order in the application list. If you delete them to get an overview of the application list, all you have to do is work on your pc for a few minutes and they pop right back in there.

Extremely annoying if you ask me.

19. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

What i don't understand is what exactly Checkpoint thinks by pushing Ask Toolbar prechecked during installation. Have they lost every contact with the pubblic?

Instead of trying to make better their firewall (which for example is notorious since ages for the inability to properly open UDP ports for EMule, so every Emuler avoids ZAF), they add the toolbar? o_O

Why would anyone at this point bother with ZAF when free competition gives OA and Comodo, which are far superior in the heavyweight category and others like AShampoo, Kerio 2, Sygate or even Comodo w/o HIPS in the lightweight category?

There are sooo many free firewalls out there, each of which is at LEAST on par with ZAF in leak tests and most are above it in usability (Emule is an example or port chosing in others) and all Checkpoint tries to do is sneak-install a toolbar? Have they lost completely their minds? o_O Do they think it helps their reputation? This is a firewall, for God' sake, it's supposed to be something 100% clean. Specially since it is installed also by people that aren't fluent in english and certainly don't read EULAs or expect a "foreign object" prechecked in their "secure" firewall installer.

If someone makes a list of the free firewalls right now and tries to find a reason of why ZAF would be a better choice than them, it would be very interesting to hear the reason...

20. fax

fax Registered Member

Anyone if free to decide what firewall to install... there are user who likes ZAF for whatever reason other that don't ... and leak test is not the only criteria users adopt to choose one... there is also interface and colors :D , semplicity, impact on system, etc.

Anyway, I don't use the free version of ZA so I don't have to worry about it :D :D

Fax

21. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

True. From the above reasons, apart colours and maybe simplicity, ZAF has better competitors. With best in simplicity being questionable...

I used to use ZAF...once. It's a shame how it has ended nowdays. Fortunately, nowdays, i too, don't have to worry about it. Much better options out there.

Checkpoint, doesn't grasp the simplest market rule. When they will, it maybe too late.

Even the user that likes colours (orange is beautiful) or simplicity, will probably get scared if his antivirus pops up or when he will find himself with a toolbar he wasn't expecting in his PC... The average non native english speaking home user, who is accustomed for years to ZA or its name, won't be expecting any such surprises during installation, he will simply click "next". I think this is a new low for a "security application". I can understand if DivX wants to bundle a toolbar. I could understand when Webshots Desktop in early versions had Gator (!) prechecked. But a firewall? Gee! Security apps are supposed to be "SAFE & CLEAN"! They could have at least prefered to OPT IN instead of prechecking it!

Anyway, Fax, since you are from the ZA Team, you could warn them before it's too late. Ok, maybe they don't care, because it's the free version. But this is bad for their brand name and some of those free users who could one day buy the "pro" (or AV/ZASS), will think about it twice. Because as you say, everyone is free to install the firewall they like. But many people, want exactly that, a FIREWALL, not a firewall+ toolbar. Do you know how many will panic thinking that they got spyware or something? And i repeat, Checkpoint, should think that not all people speak english well. There are people that know to click to their "trusted" firewall and only read the program names. They don't get to read all windows when installing their "trusted" firewall that have known for years. This is the highway to LOSING their trust.

But, i guess, this wouldn't be the first blunder Checkpoint does since the day they took over ZA, would it?

22. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

What is the purpose of the Ask toolbar? Does the Spy Site blocking feature block sites that give negative reports about ZA? (like ZA Pro did with PC Flank's site)

23. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

You people seem to be forgetting something. Dont just click next,next,next. It gives you the option to uncheck the install for the toolbar. You dont need to install it. I have ZAAS which I got on patch Tuesday for free and I love it. Much easier then Comodo and or Online Armor.

24. fax

fax Registered Member

ZA staff? No...no I am not ZA staff. Just helping out for fun in the forum.

I don't really see a big problem adding a toolbar to ZAfree... I found more 'pathetic' (without offense) that everybody focus on a harmless toolbar (pushing ads like Google or Yahoo) and forget that ZAfree install non functional and unwanted add-ons (there is no uncheck box) such as the antispam or the Kaspersky engine!

Toolbars are not new to security software, see webroot...
    And many other tools... flash player/google or ccleaner/yahoo.

Cheers,
    Fax

25. fax

fax Registered Member

You forgot to mentioned that any traces of Comodo firewall will also trigger an istant to crash to your system :p :D :D

Fax

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.